Troybilt chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm sure someone on here knows who builds these things? Looks like a Poulan, just didnt know if it was them or some other half a** piece of garbage?

Was just thinking about taking a look at one on craigslist, but the guy wants way too much for it....$100, it doesnt run and its two years old.... i was thinking around the $10-$20 price....lol

Thanks

Built by McCulloch. For the price (somewhere around $300 new!!) it's a rip-off. It would be an OK occasional use saw with a 16" bar, but parts availability really sucks.

Buy a Poulan instead. Yeah, it still sucks but theres better parts availability and you won't get ripped off on the price. Or buy a decent used saw, or save your pennies and get a good saw.

I'd rather buy a new Poulan from Walmart.
I have a Poulan that I have beat to death and still works.
Poulans are still made in USA as far as I know, I bet the Troy is built in China.

I've heard other stories of Poulans that won't die. If you use goos 2-stroke oil and maintain your saw it might surprise you. I hve a crappy B&D cordless drill thats like that, I can't kill it!

I think the new Macs and Troybilts are made in China. It's too bad, some john doh-homeowner goes to Lowes, sees a Troybilt chainsaw, remembers how heavy duty and tough his grandpas Troybilt tiller was, buys it and is sorely disappointed the first time he uses it.

I've heard other stories of Poulans that won't die. If you use goos 2-stroke oil and maintain your saw it might surprise you. I hve a crappy B&D cordless drill thats like that, I can't kill it!

I think the new Macs and Troybilts are made in China. It's too bad, some john doh-homeowner goes to Lowes, sees a Troybilt chainsaw, remembers how heavy duty and tough his grandpas Troybilt tiller was, buys it and is sorely disappointed the first time he uses it.

Well McCulloch's parent company was out of Taiwan I think, but who knows where they were actually made. However, since Husqvarna just bought McCulloch, I don't know where manufacturing will be, probably continue in China.

It's too bad, some john doh-homeowner goes to Lowes, sees a Troybilt chainsaw, remembers how heavy duty and tough his grandpas Troybilt tiller was, buys it and is sorely disappointed the first time he uses it.

Yep. That's one of the reasons I hate MTD. They're trading on what was once a very good name, but they aren't delivering.

Well McCulloch's parent company was out of Taiwan I think, but who knows where they were actually made. However, since Husqvarna just bought McCulloch, I don't know where manufacturing will be, probably continue in China.

Interesting. So in other words Husky will own most of the entry level saw and OPE market. I knew the new Macs were being made by MTD for awhile, MTD must have sold off the Mac name. Husky already has one plant in China, and one would assume they will probably just keep operating the existing MTD/Mac plants for now. At least Poulans are still made in the USA.

Someone should buy back the Homelite name and make decent equipment again.

Yep. That's one of the reasons I hate MTD. They're trading on what was once a very good name, but they aren't delivering.

About the only good stuff in the Troy Bilt product line now is the rototillers, which are still very much the same as they've always been.

Interesting. So in other words Husky will own most of the entry level saw and OPE market. I knew the new Macs were being made by MTD for awhile, MTD must have sold off the Mac name. Husky already has one plant in China, and one would assume they will probably just keep operating the existing MTD/Mac plants for now. At least Poulans are still made in the USA.

Someone should buy back the Homelite name and make decent equipment again.

Actually, Jenn Feng (parent company of McCulloch) was making the saws FOR mtd, something didn't work out.

About the only good stuff in the Troy Bilt product line now is the rototillers, which are still very much the same as they've always been.

Actually, Jenn Feng (parent company of McCulloch) was making the saws FOR mtd, something didn't work out.

Thats interesting. Now that Husky owns Mac it would be silly for them to have two competing lines of homeowner saws, and Poulan already has a big market share, maybe the Mac name will be sold off again.

Thats interesting. Now that Husky owns Mac it would be silly for them to have two competing lines of homeowner saws, and Poulan already has a big market share, maybe the Mac name will be sold off again.

I have no idea what Husky plans to do with Mac, but I was told earlier this year that McCulloch was going to attempt a re-entry into the pro saw market.

I have no idea what Husky plans to do with Mac, but I was told earlier this year that McCulloch was going to attempt a re-entry into the pro saw market.

Thats interesting, but it would only be a real Mac if they were made in the US again, Mac actually had a few good designs in the late 80's and could build from there.

Back