Truck for hauling firewood/whatever else

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2 ton former gov't plow truck...that had to have stickers slapped on it to remind people what tire pressure and fuel to use...

Wouldn't touch that one with someone else's johnson.

Well after watching a really nice 1996 F150 regular cab long bed with a 4.9L, manual trans, and 4wd with 210,000 go for $1,625 I think I am going to hold out for a 4wd. Thanks for the responses and help though!

Well after watching a really nice 1996 F150 regular cab long bed with a 4.9L, manual trans, and 4wd with 210,000 go for $1,625 I think I am going to hold out for a 4wd. Thanks for the responses and help though!

Just for comparioson sake...I picked up a 93' f150 ext cab short bed, 4.9L, manual trans, and 4wd with 160k for $1200 last week. The interior is flawless, but the body and frame does have some rust on it.

Get the ford, Can always beef up the suspension. The plow truck is probably a POS most likely rotted out from all the salting.....

I would with out a doubt pass on both those. My .02 is you really want 4x4 and at least a 3/4 ton, 1 ton is even better. I use a 4x4 ford 1 ton with a manual tranny and gasser v8. You can load a LOT of wood in a 1-ton. As much as you can fit and it will haul it with ease.

And if I didn't have 4x4 I would get stuck most of the trips to get firewood. Its either mudddy, snowy or something. 2wd doesn't cut it for me.

I would with out a doubt pass on both those. My .02 is you really want 4x4 and at least a 3/4 ton, 1 ton is even better. I use a 4x4 ford 1 ton with a manual tranny and gasser v8. You can load a LOT of wood in a 1-ton. As much as you can fit and it will haul it with ease.

And if I didn't have 4x4 I would get stuck most of the trips to get firewood. Its either mudddy, snowy or something. 2wd doesn't cut it for me.

Yeah I would love to find a low to decent mileage F250/F350, with a manual transmission and 4wd for Under 2,000. (Not likely to happen)

FORD F250 4X4 PICKUP LOW MILES AUTO 4X4 66K MILES

probably a few hour drive, but its a good candidate.

Thats a real nice truck, unfortunately that is out of my budget at the moment because of college. I think I am just going to take the money I was going to use and stick it in another savings account, then I will keep adding money to it and when I finally find something nice that I want I will get it.

Thanks for the help and advice guys I appreciate it.

That 300 CID inline 6 Ford engine is bullet proof, they seem to run forever.
Can't believe Ford quit making them.

If the frame is not bent form the tree I'd go for it, it should make a great wood hauler.

Just for comparioson sake...I picked up a 93' f150 ext cab short bed, 4.9L, manual trans, and 4wd with 160k for $1200 last week. The interior is flawless, but the body and frame does have some rust on it.

Just for the Record.

Happy Birthday to ya bcorradi. :clap::wave::bday:

I drove a ford similar for years. 1993 f250 2wd with 300 inline 6. The motor would pull, you might not be going fast but it will pull the load a small block v8 would. Unloaded the truck road like a brick, if you have any lower back trouble it will be amplified by your spine being driven up every time you hit a bump. Loaded it was better. Make sure if you get it and carry a load often put an axillary transmission cooler in. The e4od is a ok auto but the early versions in these trucks did have some short comings. Later models and upgrades make the transmission pretty built proof. Watch the oil pan on the engine. Ford had a issue around these years with the pan rotting threw. They aren't to hard to replace though just something to keep a eye on. Other wise the truck is a lot stronger than that Chevy for hauling loads.

I paid more than I was originally looking to spend, but this truck is immaculate and has all of the maint records.Its not only a woods truck, but its also my new work truck too. Here is a sneak peak:
3M13F13Ne5L85E65Jad1gc7a42e81f99816ec.jpg

Latest posts

Back