True or False??? A cord of rounds...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shouldn't be any wood in a large Pizza,, i don't think.

Now we're getting to the meat of this "chord" thing.

Question: does Moose methane destroy the planet ? Can Moose droppings be stacked into a cord ?:monkey:

Joyous Fourth all. Off to play a parade: Stars and Stripes Forever, Washington Post, American Patrol, etc..... Some Downeast towns decided to do the 4th on the 3rd :confused:. Another gig I have is tomorrow on the real 4th--Castine, Maine home of Maine Maritime Academy. Anyone coming ?
Not a bad place to live . :clap:

Maybe it's; how many pizzas, in the wood??? Aw heck, i'm really confused now!! I have a 100ft "cord" running a light over my pizza,,,, wood.....:greenchainsaw:

The version I have seen in some 'wooding' books is: "Stacked so a mouse can run through it but the cat can't follow"

I'm currently working Black Locust. A cord of rounds aftr splitting will be at least 1 1/4 cord or more. That stuff does not split 'neat' and stacks with lots of air space.

Harry K

Hi,Harry K, here in the state of washington the power's to be came up with the
idea that firewood loosely thrown into a truck is equal to 192 cu.ft.
When my son wanted to start selling firewood,i took a piece of plywood 4x8 and
layed it on the and we stacked wood on it to see how much area it would fill
up in a pick-up truck still not sure. The only thing that i know is if you stack fir that split's nice and neat is the only wood that you can get a perfect cord of out of it,if you try maple,black locust,oak which all split badly
i think you will be using your imagination as to how much firewood you have
maybe that is why we have the 192cu.ft. idea here and you still maybe wrong

How come when I dig a fence post hole, put in a post and refill with the dirt from the hole there is never enough dirt to refill the hole completely???:confused:
Damm I don't belive it, I just switched on the heat pump...

Diddling over this query while diddling here.

Yes Virginia, there is a rationale for the "no fill" hole you have. Like the "more wood when split and stacked" proven science, the dirt undisturbed in your hole ( pleeeease, no comments from you dirty minds :dizzy:) is compacted similar to the log rounds. When you excavate said hole you are DE-compacting the earth. When the aired dirt is piled it will have more volume.

As Curley says: "case proven".:cheers:

And, please, step away from the heat pump ! :jawdrop:

Oh contrare'. A cord is a measure of Pulp wood originally, not firewood. It was used to measure pulp wood which was used to make paper long before it was used as a measure of firewood. The 4' length of the pieces was chosen because a man with a pulp hook could spike one end of the log and use his hand on the other and easily toss the log onto a skid or truck for hauling to the mill. Pulp wood back then was pine and so pieces of pine from ~4" to ~15" in diameter and 4' long could be loaded by hand because machinery to move wood was not available. The 4' high by 8' long dimensions were chosen because a good pulp cutter could cut 4 full cords by hand in a day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. I also heard that the 4' and 8' dimensions were chosen because a cord of pulp wood (pine) weighs just about 1 US ton. Thus it made it easy to guess the weight of a fully loaded truck or train.

The origin of the 4' high by 8' long was told to me by an old pulp cutter so it may or may not be true. The 4' length of the logs is documented in plenty of forestry history pages.

The important point is that a cord was a measure of pulp wood long before it was

Old pulp cutter once told me they would place the bottom row angled slightly and angle the next row slightly the other way. Angle left, angle right and so on. Thus, the wood sat on the top, or high point of the sticks under it and not in the "valley". He claimed it would make quite a difference by the end of the week. Providing the scaler didn't catch on that is.
Dan.

[QUOTE
This time of year, I'm dealing with a lot of folks buying camp wood for their second homes. Not real woodburners per se. They like allotta small stuff that "catches easy." Kind of difficult explaining that they're getting less wood when it's split real small the way they like it.[/QUOTE]

Thats called profit margin. Or, increased surplus replacement for excess labor expense. You are compensated as the seller or manufacturer for your additional labor of splitting, by delivering less actual product to the buyer.

Dang, I knew that MBA would pay off some day!

Seek therapy. :laugh::laugh:

Actually, I always say you never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. I guess I'd also have to say you never see a truck loaded with saws and firewood outside one either.

By counting it here and there it keeps me from having to stack the wood. If I stack a couple cords and count I know what my pile is averaging. So when I get to a customer that just wants the wood tossed off I count out the number of pieces and toss another 15 or so. I always know I am covered.

Scott

Well me and my firewood buddy are selling a few cords as it has been a prosperous year.
Selling mostly to friends and neighbours, we wanted to make sure no-one feels cheated, so we came up with a way to be as accurate as can be while still practical.
Here in The Land the measure goes by the "Cube" which is short for a cubic meter. I think it's about 1/4 cord.
So we measured the trailer we deliver with, figured out how tall we fill it to get 1 or 2 "cubes" of TRAILER volume.
Then we told every buyer they get the firewood measured like that, take it or leave it. Told them to EXPECT it to be LESS than a "cube" when stacked.
You know what?
After our 1st and 2nd deliveries we got so many calls asking to buy wood...
Shows you people buying firewood are used to getting nailed...
That's why I got my saw: Bought a load of wood and couldn't believe the guy didn't blink an eye when saying this is a "cube". I said, well thank you and
|
|//////////> YOU!!
|
And got my saw....

SA

Oh contrare'. A cord is a measure of Pulp wood originally, not firewood. It was used to measure pulp wood which was used to make paper long before it was used as a measure of firewood. The 4' length of the pieces was chosen because a man with a pulp hook could spike one end of the log and use his hand on the other and easily toss the log onto a skid or truck for hauling to the mill. Pulp wood back then was pine and so pieces of pine from ~4" to ~15" in diameter and 4' long could be loaded by hand because machinery to move wood was not available. The 4' high by 8' long dimensions were chosen because a good pulp cutter could cut 4 full cords by hand in a day. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. I also heard that the 4' and 8' dimensions were chosen because a cord of pulp wood (pine) weighs just about 1 US ton. Thus it made it easy to guess the weight of a fully loaded truck or train.

The origin of the 4' high by 8' long was told to me by an old pulp cutter so it may or may not be true. The 4' length of the logs is documented in plenty of forestry history pages.

The important point is that a cord was a measure of pulp wood long before it was

Msr C² (a.k.a. "Curley Cherry") has it. Listen and watch and learn. :bowdown:

C² is Msr. Science who has spent the better part of his life instructing lesser mortals on the facts of CORD.:bowdown:

To de-brief and simplify for Darwins in NeverLand:

One CORD is a pile/stack of wood in ANY form, piled/stacked in ANY manner that measures 4' X 4' X 8' ---that is, a pile or stack containing 128 cubic feet of volume . There are (except in metrically challenged nations such as north of the United States ), no other acceptable definition.

Any other expanation will be cause for serious punishment and/or banishment from the internet. C² will be the ultimate arbiter of the severity.

Just one tiny point C² with extreme respect for your acumen : it is "au contraire". The French among us will be displeased if you use it any other way. They are, shall we say, very French.:blob2:

Righto bango.

1 cord = A PILE/STACK/THING 4' X 4' X 8'
Case dismissed #2.:agree2:

Please: no "ricks". No "face" %$#@&s. No "throw" cords. No ""banana" cords. Just a cord relative to what is piled/stacked. No state "regs". You got rounds in a pile 4x4x8...it's a cord.
You got splits stacked 4x4x8...it's a cord.
You got moose turds piled 4x4x8...it's a cord (dry 'em out, polish 'em, you got jewelry, no smell unless your significant other gets too hot).

Kindly refer to past empty discussions on "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: What is a Cord ? " Thank You...Thank You very much (E. Presley).

JMNSHO

Actually a cord is wood tightly stacked 4 x 4 x 8, not piled.

I don't like Wikipedia much but this pretty much sums it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

The US weights and measure department defines it clearly as 4 x 4 x 8 tightly stacked for firewood.

Last edited:
I just think that anyone who has to ask the question needs to come on over to my place and practice splitting and stacking firewood to test all the possible theories. After about 20 cord or so I think you might have it figured out.lol
IMHO split wood will take up more volume, because you can never stack it as tight as rounds if we're discussing normal firewood splits. The "air gaps" are just something you have to deal with when stacking. That is why we always stack to 52" high rather than 48", it gives the customer confidence that they are getting their monies worth and they always repeat their business.

If you were to take a full cord of smoked bacon slabs and cut it into 1/8" strips, how many one pound packages of bacon would you get?
How much volume/weight would bacon lose once it has been smoked?

As far as firewood is concerned a cord of 16" hardwood cut and plit to heat your house contains 333 pieces of wood accurate to +- 10%. Fact.
John

How many pieces in a large pizza?
Philbert, I don't think the the question is, 'how many pieces are in a pizza', the question is: How many thick crust party pizzas are in a cord?
If one TCPP is 36"x 24" x 2" thick that's 1728 cubic inches right per party pizza, so how my pizzas would be in a cord allowing for some shrinkage and settling due to late delivery?
John

Actually a cord is wood tightly stacked 4 x 4 x 8, not piled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

The US weights and measure department defines it clearly as 4 x 4 x 8 tightly stacked for firewood.

Au contraire Cerran. The measure called CORD is universally a stack, a pile of round logs, used for pulp, delivered as such to paper mills.

Forget Wiki ( anyone can define anything there), forget "US Weights and Measures Department" (they got bureaucratic hemorroids sitting in those offices). "Clearly" be damned. :chainsawguy:

In the real world (I am not opinionated, I am not opinionated.......) one CANNOT "tightly stack" a pile of logs. How the F wood :biggrinbounce2: you ? Round logs that are piled or stacked weigh enought to stack by themselves. Sorry, "pile".

Firewood "cords" were taken from the real definition of pulp measure. Firewood cords can be split, round, fractioned split and round, and any other GD way the firewood CORD stacker/piler wants it.

Now, wood you please re-read C² 's definition like Mr. Rogers' scientific demo of a cord ?

Whew...................................:blob2:

Latest posts

Back