'Try-out tree' for TCI in Baltimore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to bicycle around the Convention Center in Baltimore, host of the TCI Expo in November. I was looking for sites for a recreational climb within walking distance of the Center. Depending on your view of a tree worth playing in, I may have struck out. There were a bunch of 40-50' high, 12-15" DBH trees (go ahead and laugh at me, that I can't tell you what species they were) planted in kind of a median in the four-lane street in front of the Center. Not too relaxing. One possibility might be some mature trees, about 60' high or so, in the churchyard of Old Otterbein church, right in back of the CC. I can make some calls and see if we could get permission to climb there, but again, it's really not too scenic.

Some folks have mentioned the need for a 'try-out' tree, for playing with new toys purchased at the Expo. I bet there's the perfect tree for this, right outside the door to the CC. It's a skinny street tree that's been limbed recently, so that it's a bare spar for the first 20-25'. It's about 12" DBH. Of course, it's growing through one of those metal grates with the hole in the center, so any slips land you on iron or concrete. I'd bet we'd have to get the CC management's permission to climb on it, which might be tough, but if this would be helpful, I'll try. Does the management of the TCI Expo normally do something like this? I don't want to duplicate their efforts, or cross over into their territory.

I'll try to get a digital camera and get some shots of these possibilities posted.

Let me know how I can help.

-Kevin

It's gotta be in the park, if we are on a street we'll attract unwanted atttention.

A short drive is not a bad thing, we can pool money for cabs or hotel shuttles.

Back