Trying to decide on 70cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to consider a Husky 365 the new ones are actually 70cc's and can be had in the 500-600 range. I haven't run one but the specs look good when your saving 3-4 hundred bucks.

I vote for the 460. I've got 63 tanks of mix through mine and it runs stronger than I ever thought it would for the size of saw that it is. I know 63 tanks ain't shi! to some of you but to a guy that depends on his go to saw to start and run every time he's out to load the truck with his winter heat it means something. All I've done is open the muffler up a little and dump gas in it. I run a 24 and 32'' bar and saw has no issues, cut up a 40'' ash with her today. Alwaysstarts with the same consistent amount of pulls when cold and warm. No compalints about this saw at all.

I've ran the 7900 and it feels awkward to me and maybe even heavier but the weight could just be from the way the saw feels in my hands. The power of the 7900 was'nt there to thrill me like eveyone talks it is. Dealer support around here for a dolmar is just about obsolete.

As for the stock 372 it seems to be a good saw but unless it's ported the power is'nt there from what I've seen. I've ran a couple of stock ones and the power does'nt compare but from the videos on here I can say ported they seem to be an animal.

I can't comment on the 441 because I honestly have not ran one but have ran the 440 and though it is nimble (which the 441 that I picked up at the dealer was'nt) they are down on power in stock form compared to the 460.

Dependability would be with the 460 IMO along with dealer support in my area.

I'm not bashing any brand or trying to start a bunch of shi!, just saying my opinion.:msp_smile:

I don't think it is possible to buy more saw for the $$$ spent than a 7900.
Mine have been the most trouble free saws I've owned and they are very easy to maintain.
I have run my 2 7900s and my 6400 a LOT and have NEVER had an issue at all with the filtration, AV, starting, or any of the other problems mentioned here.
Buy a good saw, run good fuel and bar oil, keep your chains sharp and your bar de-burred, clean the air filter regularly (not annually) blow them off with an air hose once in a while and any of the saws you are looking at will give you good service.

Mike

I don't think it is possible to buy more saw for the $$$ spent than a 7900.
Mine have been the most trouble free saws I've owned and they are very easy to maintain.
I have run my 2 7900s and my 6400 a LOT and have NEVER had an issue at all with the filtration, AV, starting, or any of the other problems mentioned here.
Buy a good saw, run good fuel and bar oil, keep your chains sharp and your bar de-burred, clean the air filter regularly (not annually) blow them off with an air hose once in a while and any of the saws you are looking at will give you good service.

Mike

Exactly! Thats what I was saying too. All he is gonna do is cut firewood. He will not have any trouble with that Dolmar. I just cant see it happening.

Buy the Makita 6421 from Bailey's when they go on sale,good price,free shipping and no sales tax then slip the 79cc mahle head on it and save yourself some money. If you can't wait then get the Dolmar PS-7900 and never look back. Makita bought Dolmar in 1991 and both saws are identical except for the color and they are both made on the same line in Hamburg Germany.

Hard starting,ring getting stuck under pin in piston, pto bearing failures, hd air filter coming apart at the base, the mount for the clips in the air cover wearing out. Out of the box they would start on a !/2 pull after a month you would dred stopping to fill them up because you would never know if they would start again with out waiting 15 minutes. Logging hard enough without having to battle with asaw all day.

Try this.

attachment.php

Not this.

attachment.php

Hard starting,ring getting stuck under pin in piston, pto bearing failures, hd air filter coming apart at the base, the mount for the clips in the air cover wearing out. Out of the box they would start on a !/2 pull after a month you would dred stopping to fill them up because you would never know if they would start again with out waiting 15 minutes. Logging hard enough without having to battle with asaw all day.

How long ago were you buying these saws?

There honestly is only one choice, sorry boys, not here to upset anyone, but Dolmar/Stihl/Husqvarna have all had their day in the 70cc class, they need to step aside and make way for the new "WORLD Number 1" 72cc beast with eStart...

Oh, and for 199$ with FREE delivery you buy 3, still have a couple of hundered left for beer (when on same budget as other brands) and ya take 2 mates wood cutting with you and do 1/3 of the work...

72CC 24" PROFESSIONAL CHAINSAW CHAIN SAW w e-START | eBay

There honestly is only one choice, sorry boys, not here to upset anyone, but Dolmar/Stihl/Husqvarna have all had their day in the 70cc class, they need to step aside and make way for the new "WORLD Number 1" 72cc beast with eStart...

Oh, and for 199$ with FREE delivery you buy 3, still have a couple of hundered left for beer (when on same budget as other brands) and ya take 2 mates wood cutting with you and do 1/3 of the work...

Hey Matt, you are going to need 3 saws, 2 just for parts to keep the 3rd one running. Let me guess,this going to be hard one, made in Chin_ by Baumr. I am going to put this Stihl knock off in the same class with their light bulbs that last about six weeks. Will someone help me out with that last letter.

Hey Matt, you are going to need 3 saws, 2 just for parts to keep the 3rd one running. Let me guess,this going to be hard one, made in Chin_ by Baumr. I am going to put this Stihl knock off in the same class with their light bulbs that last about six weeks. Will someone help me out with that last letter.

Haha, yeah i know i know, but all jokes aside, i have always been a stihl man, but in saying that i'm only in my 40's so i'm not the most experienced guy around and don't claim to be, my father also only ever had orange and white saws, but again a novice like myself.

Now even though i was actually taking the pi@# as you picked up on straight away, i have a close friend, woodcutter, started at 14 and is now 62 and i would bet a years pay in that time you would count the days he has had off on 1 hand, anyway stihl man, he actually bought well traded his 076 on the first 084 that made its way down here to Tasmania, not that thats of any interest as all he uses now are 660's but anyway, long story short.

He has a son, well step son that gives him a hand every weekend, they cut 9 metres a day seven days a week, he was telling me that his step son was rough, liked to cut rocks, throw the saw (460) around and generally give it a hard time, so rather than knock a good one around he said (i got the daughter to get him one of them fake ones off the internet) the Baumer or what ever they call them, it has run every weekend for the last two years and according to him, "it would surprise ya" how well it goes with an 18" stihl rolermatic bar and chain.

Who knows, i actually am contemplating buying one just to see for my self, end of the day, i spend that on beer in a week anyway haha.

LMAO!!!
The OP asks for info on a 70cc saw and the general membership tries to sell him an 80cc saw.

Best advice I can give is go to the next, closest GTG and run some saws.

My unreasonable advice, skip on up to 90cc and buy a Husky.

LMAO!!!
The OP asks for info on a 70cc saw and the general membership tries to sell him an 80cc saw.

Nah... did they ? all the talk was on the under 75 ms441/60 and husky 372 with the odd dolmar 7900 thrown in being the biggest at 78... all sort of fit what he was after don't they ?

You likely do only about 1/5th the work :hmm3grin2orange: Can't work with a saw that won't start or run..

LMAO!!!

Well actually he asked for help deciding between the 441, 460, 372 and 7900. Did not specify 70cc's. And the 460, which is listed, is 76.5cc or closer to 80cc. Proper advise might be to stick to the saws that were listed :msp_biggrin: unless one has some good reason why they should switch.. other than personal preference.. as they must have done some research already.

Looking at getting a Stihl 441 or 460, Husky 372 or a Dolmar 7900. Alot of people seem to like the Dolmar. Just wondering if the Dolmar has more vibration than the stihls and huskys?

The title of the thread was.....

"Trying to decide on 70cc saw"

Yep; you are right ! :msp_smile:

But then the OP listed 70.7cc, 76.5cc, 71cc and a 78.5cc. The last one being the Dolmar 7900. The OP then goes on to ask specific questions about the 78.5cc saw... so what is a 70cc saw? Anything that begins with the number "7" and has two digits in the cc sizing? :msp_biggrin:

Don't know.. only reading what it says..

But in my books.. they are all mid-range saws.. and any one of them is a decent saw if you have dealer support. Of the four, the Dolmar dealers are likley the most questionable in most areas as far as local service capability. (at least around here for sure) Of the ones listed, personally I would put the 460, which is a 76.5cc saw at top of list.

I strongly suspect that the measured vibes, that are shown in specs and/or test reports, only is part of the vibe story - don't base your judgement on those numbers alone....

So will the 7900 and it is cheaper. Stihl's are getting to be to outrageous in price.

All saws are dirt cheap in the US - the different brands ask what they think they can get away with on different markets - the connection to production cost is at best vague and distorted......:msp_rolleyes:

Back