Trying to decide on 70cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take 469 to 37 (maysville road) go south to Doty road turn right and cross the raliroad tracks, the first amish shop on the right. Let me know what you find:)
will do, maybe i will finally get to see what all the fuss is about. if i can buy one that cheap,and don't like it, i should be able to get my money out of it. the do it best hardware out by grabill sells them too, but they are alot higher than 725.00.

will do, maybe i will finally get to see what all the fuss is about. if i can buy one that cheap,and don't like it, i should be able to get my money out of it. the do it best hardware out by grabill sells them too, but they are alot higher than 725.00.
actually looks as if you would want to go north/east on maysville about 1 mile to doty road. thats only about 20mins from the shop.

The 7900s can still be had for around $730 or so in some places. The local stihl dealer quoted me prices of $760 for a 441 and $853 for a 460. Both with 20" b/c. I guess it depends on your area what it will cost you.

Those look a little high to me but would have to check.. I just picked up an 880 with 48" b/c for $1470.. and a 660 is between the two of them.. and when I say just picked up.. the bill for it has not yet arrived in mail.

Basic numbers of what folks that have purchased since the first of the years paid, at least that is what they say. I am not asking to see reciepts and I am not including people like myself or others with like arrangements. Ball park #s for the walkin off the street, dealers pretty much sticking to the same reference prices, MSRP -5% or a freebie 6 pack of oil kind of stuff.

Mostly Ohioans, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan purchases.

The Dolmar #s seem high but the last Dolmar dealer I was at did not stock the 7900 because he "could not sell a $900.00 saw" to his walkins and did not want a shelf sitter so the lack of Dolmar brand recogintion is still a $ factor for selling Dolmar at MSRP.

The only 880 was priced at around $1600.00 but I do not know if it went through, they were still trying to shop the 3120.

660s are around $1200.00+/-. Still selling a lot of them.

Was not trying to scare the OP but perhaps let him know if he could not score a great deal he is not alone out there.

The 7900s can still be had for around $730 or so in some places. The local stihl dealer quoted me prices of $760 for a 441 and $853 for a 460. Both with 20" b/c. I guess it depends on your area what it will cost you.

What area and how well the dealer is moving saws. Having box stores selling Husq, Echo at box store prices seems to have made it easier to sell the other brands near MSRP.

You know, I picked up a new 372 off the shelf at the Husky dealer the other day and to tell you the truth it really doesn't feel that much different in my hands than my 7300. I have no idea how they would perform against each other but my guess is it would be to close to call. Husky makes a fine saw and everyone is entiltled to their opinion but I paid $650 for my 7300 and they wanted $830 for the new 372. It was a no brainer to me at the time. Now they are much closer in price and maybe I would consider the 372 if I were buying today but I still do not regret buying the Dolmar.

Tim, your 7300 would be stronger. IMO, you have one of the best 70cc saws.

Anytime you want to stop out let me know. I live up near Ashley just North of Auburn 10-12 miles.

I'm not sure how you'd know how fun it is to run. As soon as you start the cut, it's through the bottom side:clap: How's it done for you? Any reliability issues at that power level?

The only problem I've had with the saw is a broken clutch spring that took me a year to fix:smile2: I bet I've cut 4-500 trees with it now. I've been using it alot lately getting the rest of those logs bucked and split for winter. Compression sets about 200-205 with it broke in.

I have production line going!

Got a log pile.
miscoutdoor031.jpg

Load them with the skidsteer.

CampAtterbury022.jpg

put up on the horses and buck and split and stack.

CampAtterbury021.jpg

I wonder why?

Here the 7900 went from $750 to $900. I bought my 7300 in January for $650 and it was the last one the dealer had at that price, they are now $800.

Around 20 - 25% increase in one year? I wonder what made them do that. Did commodity prices and labor go up a whole boat load for them or what? Tooling for the factory is a sunk cost, they are already being made. Just seems excessive to me.

Maybe they are just fishing trying to see if they can sell any (many) at that price point. Maybe some stockholders demanded a price increase. I just don't know, but seems odd to me for that big of a price jump on something like that. Especially in a down economy. They should be dropping prices and trying to make more unit sales, and be happy with "some" profit.

I still have yet to see an actual bonafide Dolmar dealer. I rented one once, but the guy wasn't a dealer either. There's several out there I have never seen in a dealer's store, ones that are obviously common enough I see them mentioned here, dolmar and efco come to mind readily. A shop near me has tanaka stuff, but no saws. So I have never even seen one of them. And AFAIK, I have never seen a chinese clone saw. Lot of chinese ATVs and cheap dirt bikes and so on, but no saws. Even at the two traveling tool shows I have been to within the past few years, lots of other chinese tools, including a crate tractor already assembled, but no saws.

Around 20 - 25% increase in one year?

Maybe they were discounting them and went back to full MSRP?

I still have yet to see an actual bonafide Dolmar dealer.

I went to the Dolmar website and it says that I have 7 Full Service dealers in the area. Some of these are rental and repair shops. The only dealer I really know of is Boyd's in Wisconsin, who is an A.S. Member, and who helps support our local GTG's. If I lived near Boyd's, good chance I would buy one.

Philbert

Around 20 - 25% increase in one year? I wonder what made them do that. Did commodity prices and labor go up a whole boat load for them or what? Tooling for the factory is a sunk cost, they are already being made. Just seems excessive to me.

Maybe they are just fishing trying to see if they can sell any (many) at that price point. Maybe some stockholders demanded a price increase. I just don't know, but seems odd to me for that big of a price jump on something like that. Especially in a down economy. They should be dropping prices and trying to make more unit sales, and be happy with "some" profit.

I still have yet to see an actual bonafide Dolmar dealer. I rented one once, but the guy wasn't a dealer either. There's several out there I have never seen in a dealer's store, ones that are obviously common enough I see them mentioned here, dolmar and efco come to mind readily. A shop near me has tanaka stuff, but no saws. So I have never even seen one of them. And AFAIK, I have never seen a chinese clone saw. Lot of chinese ATVs and cheap dirt bikes and so on, but no saws. Even at the two traveling tool shows I have been to within the past few years, lots of other chinese tools, including a crate tractor already assembled, but no saws.

Zog Man, two things caused the 7900 to spike in price. They had to go to the catalytic muffler and you are now paying for the platinum screen that's inside the muffler. The second item was the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Euro. Guys I hate to tell you that the value of the dollar is falling world-wide and will be replaced as the world's reserve currency in the 4th quarter of 2012, that is when we are going into hyperinflation.

I forgot about that!

Zog Man, two things caused the 7900 to spike in price. They had to go to the catalytic muffler and you are now paying for the platinum screen that's inside the muffler. The second item was the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Euro. Guys I hate to tell you that the value of the dollar is falling world-wide and will be replaced as the world's reserve currency in the 4th quarter of 2012, that is when we are going into hyperinflation.

You are correct of course. Just slap slipped me pea brane about the dollar tanking and exchage rates....

Maybe we'll get a domestic saw company out of this eventually that builds quality saws. And domestic everything else, like we used to have before the globalist war on the middle class started.

Maybe. Not counting on it though. Repairs of existing stuff should be a growth industry, as less and less new is bought.

STD, just don't run Gink's 7900. You'll be ruined for life!!!!!!!!!!! The thing is insane!!!!!!!!
that is the one saw that i have never been around or run. i have a handful of dealers within an hour of me,but the couple i have stopped at only stock a few of the smaller saws. i would not be opposed to trying one out, i just have a hard time running anything other than...........well you know.

You are correct of course. Just slap slipped me pea brane about the dollar tanking and exchage rates....

Maybe we'll get a domestic saw company out of this eventually that builds quality saws. And domestic everything else, like we used to have before the globalist war on the middle class started.

Maybe. Not counting on it though. Repairs of existing stuff should be a growth industry, as less and less new is bought.

Zogger, I just dug out some old Bailey's catalogs. In 2004 a 346XP sold for $399.95, 372XP-$529.95, 385XP-$669.95
In 2007 a Dolmar 7900 sold for $689.95

Back