Trying to piece together a BSM.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pa Pa Jack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am putting together the materials to build a BSM. I have a set of 19 inch cast iron wheels coming and some of the steel. Right now though I am trying to decide on the motor. I am looking at a Honda GX390 motor. Is that enough motor for the job? Is there another motor I should consider? One fellow told me that I need a twin cylinder engine. What would those of you who have built your own mill recommend?

This is the unit I am trying to build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eqwZb4D9r8

I am putting together the materials to build a BSM. I have a set of 19 inch cast iron wheels coming and some of the steel. Right now though I am trying to decide on the motor. I am looking at a Honda GX390 motor. Is that enough motor for the job? Is there another motor I should consider? One fellow told me that I need a twin cylinder engine. What would those of you who have built your own mill recommend?

This is the unit I am trying to build.

Homemade Band Sawmill to cut Mesquite 2nd Gen - YouTube

ask chaikwa on this forum...hes one of the old byo bandmill ,members..

I use the Honda clone engine from Harbor Freight 11hp or 13 hp.

There are two 13hp motors listed. One clockwise and one counterclockwise. I didn't even know they made them that way. Which one do I need?

P.S. I ordered the counter clockwise engine. I didn't even know there were engines designed to run clockwise. Learn something every day. Most of the time I learn that I am nowhere near as smart as my wife thinks I am.

Last edited:
Back