TSC 35Ton Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quailtail

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found at Tractor Supply 3 35 ton Huskee splitters that were marked down to 1450.00. These were older models that had not sold. I bought one and now am having second thoughts.

My splitter does not have the new toe plate. Is it worth the extra 250.00 it would cost me to buy a current model. They are 1799.00 with 100 off, making the total 1699.00.

I have not used it yet so I know I can trade it for the newer model.

Please answer as quick as you can cause I have to start splitting ASAP. I am out of wood.

Thank You

Three models. There is an older model with a solid toe plate and no "H" reinforcement and an older model with a "scooped out" toe plate. The current model has a solid toe plate with "H" reinforcement. Which one did you get?

There have been bending problems with the scooped toe plate. A friend of mine and I actually bent a rental model while operating it in vertical for a few hours on a red oak trunk.

If I recall correctly, the warranty on the materials (including the beam) is 3 years. If you did get the scooped out plate, put it through a good workout to see if it will bend. To answer your question directly, I'd want a solid toe plate.

It has the solid toe plate, less the H as is on the new models. I appreciate the responses.

While a lesser model would probably meet my needs, thought this was too good of a deal to pass up. Then, I got to thinking, maybe not such a good deal after all.

It has the solid toe plate, less the H as is on the new models. I appreciate the responses.

While a lesser model would probably meet my needs, thought this was too good of a deal to pass up. Then, I got to thinking, maybe not such a good deal after all.

If it was me I'd trade it out for the newer one. (You knew there had to be at least 1 dissenting opinion). My splitter has been very good. But, the new re-design is a much better thought out and Laid out machine. It's easier to hitch-up/un-hitch, better hoses, the engine is on the opposite side (you wont be getting near as much exhaust in your face). All of the chief complaints I have about mine have addressed with the new design. I wouldn't go out and sell mine just to get the new one, but, for $250 difference, I'd go after the new one, assuming the money isn't a problem,...

Hell, that's what I payed for mine in 2002. It's split every nasty oak, elm, cottonwood etc. crotch I've ever run across. I have no complaints whatsoever!!

I looked at this thing again tonight. It IS the scolloped out toe plate. It looks solid from the splitting side but scouped out on the back. $250.00 is 250.00. I guess if I bend it they will replace with a new one. Got 3 years to bend it. My luck it will bend 3years and 1 day from now.

Still have time to take it back and trade for the new model. But I got to get wood split tomorrow for sure

Worst case would be that it bends after three years and you have to take it to a welder to have a new toe plate put on. For me that wouldn't be a big deal because I have a good welder just a mile down the road.

I kept the splitter and tried it out this morning. Started fine. Split about 15 minutes and noticed the valve was not returning to center after the cylinder had returned. Fitting on the valve started leaking, then the return line blew a hole.

My day was shot and as far as I was concerned the splitter was as well. Returned it to Tractor Supply. Apparently these things have been sitting there forever. Hoses dry rotted from exposure to the sun and valves stuck as well. And I was concerned about the toe plate. Did not have a chance to bend it.

I was give three options, return for full refund, 10% off the sale price of 1699.00 on a current model, and or get this one fixed. I chose the refund.

They would have replaced the hoses, and valve for you, and it would have been as good as new.

:agree2: I'm about to contact Speeco to try and get a replacement valve and lines as my valve isn't working properly and the lines have blown off before,... That said, as I don't have the money for a Timberwolf TW-6 yet,... I will be fixing my Huskee, as it still out-splits many other "beefier/more expensive" splitters I've seen. And it's paid for.

Having this much go wrong with just using the splitter a couple of hours, I thought it might be a lemon. Did not want to take the chance having 1450.00 tied up in it. They have 3 more. I could try another or shell out the 250 for a new model. People are not lined up to buy these. They might drop the price even more. I have a 3point hitch model I can use for the time being.

Just about to pull the trigger on a new Specco 35 ton

please guys be more specific on the bending issues that you have w/ the speeco. i'm still going through this w/ the Northstar 37t unit. DO NOT BUY IT!!! The dumb guys @ Northstar said " we haven't had any problems with the beam on our splitter!" This is after they already sent me a brand-new replacement beam ass'y, and it is bending also! Cheap-ass chinese steel that is under-sized.. I-beam 7 x 7": vs speeco 8 x10". Asked the Northern rep if they had heard of speeco splitters. pregnant pause.. uyh.. uh.. uh.. no' I don't think so. Then asked if he had heard about the Arborist Site forums and the dumb-ass said "OH YEAH!". Still had no brain about my conversation with him on the beam-size discrepancy.. probably about 18 years old and never fabricated a steel ass'y in his dreams. And then they tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Old welder here.. Miller 251A, Lincoln 250. Lincoln ranger 9, Lincoln weldanpower250, Century 250, etc, etc,etc, OMG!!! Please don't even think about that POS Northstar crap!!!

We love our 35 ton Huskee. Put about 20 cords through it last year without any problems and has split/cut through anything we have put on it. If I could change anything, I would have waited for the new models that have the engine on the other side. But had no idea they were going to change them anyway. Like everything, some people will swear by them and others will curse the ground they came from.

Firewood Guy

"Just about to pull the trigger on a new Specco 35 ton"

Go ahead and pull that trigger! My 25 Ton was delivered last Friday, we put it together and ran it over the weekend. I can honestly say the Speeco splitters are solidly built and mine is an absolute BEAST. I have some twisted, gnarly old Valley Oak that the splitter went through with just mild hesitation. If the wood didn't split with the grain the wedge just went through the grain! You can hardly hear the engine grunt on anything less than a cross-grain split. The Briggs engine starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time.

The best part about it is you can be rest assured that Speeco stands behind what they sell! I doubt you will find better customer service and support from any other splitter manufacturer - especially from the big box suppliers. There was a minor problem with mine and Kevin is right there to help and remedy the situation. And I mean right there!

Granted, this is my first splitter and I've only had it for a weekend but I do know something about hydraulics, equipment, and design engineering and I feel more than comfortable in recommending the Speeco machines!

Purchase newest unit and put it together yourself- my 2 cent advise

If you get the 35 ton, purchase the newest version and put it together yourself. Two of our repairs involved original wrong parts installed at store.
We purchased the 27 ton and it turned out it was sitting out for display I guess because we also got a great discount at end of season price. After only 50 some hours numerous repairs started and we lost nearly a whole summer of splitting due to shop time and repeat repairs.
TSC even claimed some repairs were due to lack of maintenance on engine which engine hours did not indicate or even call for.

Speeco has been great for some of the repairs that they could help with, but going through TSC nightmare warranty is a quagmire of pitfalls and a test of your sanity.

When our splitter is running it splits the logs great, if we can just keep it running longer than an hour at a time before a break down.

splitter

ya they all say ther good but ever time i here about tsc spltters is the hose leaks the filter leaks the hose burst common get a twolf iron oak split right the list goes on stop get a good splitter it will last you a long time good luck

Latest posts

Back