Tuning a ported 066 RL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope..BB is bone stock...that was the first saw that ive ever rebuilt...and it jsut keeps going!!! one of the most reliable saws that i have..it always starts...cold or warm and runs good

whenever i do the rebuild on this saw i will probably port the BB kit tho...i'm gonna try a few things...pop up piston..machining the cylinder base...etc.

Last edited:
nope..BB is bone stock...that was the first saw that ive ever rebuilt...and it jsut keeps going!!! one of the most reliable saws that i have..it always starts...cold or warm and runs good

l guess that speaks well of the longevity of the Aftermarket BB kits,,,,
beings as though you use it commercially,,,, how many Hours on the saw since the kit was installed???? BTW!!!

wow....i can't even begin to count the hours....several hundred....i bet it isn't too far from 750 hrs....this is a horribly rough guess...but i wouldn't be surprised at all if it had that many

I'm pretty sure this is one of the first 046BB kits that bailey's ever put out..

That is what i wanted to hear about those BB kits. How many hours do you have on the 066BB?

Last edited:
i was just outside tuning some saw...my new 460 is tuned to 13600. and i'm pretty sure that is on the rich side...it was still 4 stroking about 14100 but i don't wanna turn it that high..i retuned my 066BB to 13500 also..gonna see how they run

btw blsnelling...didn't you have a thread of you building the 066RL? i searched and couldn't find it..a buddy has one

i was just outside tuning some saw...my new 460 is tuned to 13600. and i'm pretty sure that is on the rich side...it was still 4 stroking about 14100 but i don't wanna turn it that high..i retuned my 066BB to 13500 also..gonna see how they run

btw blsnelling...didn't you have a thread of you building the 066RL? i searched and couldn't find it..a buddy has one

Why make it run rich? Let her run:)

I didn't do a step-by-step on the 066. Here are the threads I did do.

Fixing the spike mount

Finishing it up

Muffler mod I did end up cutting them off even. No issue at all so far.

Why make it run rich? Let her run:)

I didn't do a step-by-step on the 066. Here are the threads I did do.

Fixing the spike mount

Finishing it up

Muffler mod I did end up cutting them off even. No issue at all so far.

cuz i don't trust my ears that good...im kinda new to the chainsaw building and tuning still..so if i know it is in the safe rpms..then im pretty sure it is alright

l guess that speaks well of the longevity of the Aftermarket BB kits,,,,
beings as though you use it commercially,,,, how many Hours on the saw since the kit was installed???? BTW!!!

No.. it talks about 1... or 2.... not all of them.

I've seen several with pealing chrome... and it does a number on the piston and rings.

Last edited:
046bb

wow....i can't even begin to count the hours....several hundred....i bet it isn't too far from 750 hrs....this is a horribly rough guess...but i wouldn't be surprised at all if it had that many

I'm pretty sure this is one of the first 046BB kits that bailey's ever put out..

If it has that many hours, then it sounds like they are pretty good. After I get the 660 I'm gonna BB the 066 and maybe port it.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I have my 460 at 13,800 right now and it's doing fine. But I don't take mine to 14k. 13,900 would be max for me. My 066 is running 13,300 and it is fine right there.:chainsaw: :) :cheers:

Chain speed

Would seem that the answer to the 460 vs 066 question is like the answer to big cubes in vehicles; overdrive. That 066 WILL
out cut, but maybe not til you give it the gear (9 or 10 pin) to
do so. Do you have one to try?

Would seem that the answer to the 460 vs 066 question is like the answer to big cubes in vehicles; overdrive. That 066 WILL
out cut, but maybe not til you give it the gear (9 or 10 pin) to
do so. Do you have one to try?

Is there an echo in here...:hmm3grin2orange:

Back