Tuning a ported 066 RL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To a point you would have to experiment. I would go with the .404 chain bigger bites and use 8pin but you could try 9pin with short bars.

In the same conditions, if the 460 will pull an 8, the 066 will pull a nine. That is if the 066 is healthy...

My 460 screams with a 8-pin on a 28" bar. The 066 has the same mods. This past weekend was the first I had run the 066 though. I would have had a 8-pin on it, but the chain was brand new and was a little too short. With a 9-pin being $22, perhaps I should just go with a 8-pin and give it a little more leverage or a hungrier chain.

Last edited:
"too short"? it fits.. just wiggle it a bit...

I was running 064 with an 8 pin and new Stihl chain on an ES bar. I run 8 pin and new chains on my 066 all the time.

"too short"? it fits.. just wiggle it a bit...

I was running 064 with an 8 pin and new Stihl chain on an ES bar. I run 8 pin and new chains on my 066 all the time.

Yup, works on my ES bars just fine.

Must be that sugerhungryarhi bars......lol

$22.00!!! Has a limit been reached??? IIRC the Stihl B&C catalog lists what bars won't work with the 8-pin. For the 9-pin you'll need a longer chain. With the work you allready have in the saw, not so much more.

$22.00!!! Has a limit been reached??? IIRC the Stihl B&C catalog lists what bars won't work with the 8-pin. For the 9-pin you'll need a longer chain. With the work you allready have in the saw, not so much more.

You're right. I've been advised that the really fast 066s will pull a 9-pin but are faster with an 8-pin and lower rakers. I'll likely need a 9-pin for the 084 though. Might as well get one ordered.

It all depending on whether you are cutting real (big) wood or those nice 12x12 fluffly cants.

Big wood - the 066 is better with a 7 pin. Small wood - well... use an 044! :greenchainsaw: but.. I do use an 8 now and then..

Since this is a work saw first and GTG 2nd, i think it makes more since to forget the 9-pin and stick with the 8-pin. If I'm cutting 36" Oak an it feels to be struggling a little, I'l throw a 7-pin on. I really think it'll pull the 8 though. I'll have to get some more time behind it to find out.

i run a 7 pin on the falling saws...066/660 and 460...cuz i keep the rakers lower and sometimes really lean on them...i run an 8 pin on my 046 BB that i use primarily for bucking up and firewood...it works out good...even tho i could prolly just run an 8 on all of them...

7 pin

i run a 7 pin on the falling saws...066/660 and 460...cuz i keep the rakers lower and sometimes really lean on them...i run an 8 pin on my 046 BB that i use primarily for bucking up and firewood...it works out good...even tho i could prolly just run an 8 on all of them...

Yep, that's what I do. I have 7 pins on everything except the 460, as it's more efficient with the 8 pin with the muffler mod and 20" stihl ES bar. Before with a 7 pin and a really hooked chisel I couldn't stop it, it wanted more. So I muffler modded it and put a 8 pin on it and I'm really happy now, it will pass up the 440 in 20" cuts now, it seemed like they where almost neck and neck before.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

SI, did you retire the 046 to firewood duty now? Do/did you notice a difference with the BB in the 046 vs the stock 460's as far as power?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

SI, did you retire the 046 to firewood duty now? Do/did you notice a difference with the BB in the 046 vs the stock 460's as far as power?:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

the 046 BB has always been my bucking up saw...and it will stay that way..um...i would say the stock 460 with a gutted muffler will outcut my 046BB...but that saw is on its 3rd top end with original bottom end...and the BB has got a lot of hours on it...i'm keeping both of my 460's for falling duties..im planning on doing a complete step by step overhaul of the 046 in the future...kinda like s blsnelling build and picture it...i always like threads like that around here

Did you have the BB 046 woods ported??????

Latest posts

Back