Tuning a ported 066 RL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brad, does the stihl flywheel tool that you have work on a new 066/660..i looked at a different one that said it was for the 066/660 w/poly flywheel

here are the two flywheels side by side.
See how much bigger the poly one is on the inside
IMG_0133.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Brad, didn't realize you were also a software engineer. PC, Embedded, ???

J2EE developement for Lockheed Martin. We do logistics software for military both here and abroad.

Great minds think alike, only I am old school...C development for embedded stuff. Mainly do vehicle/implement controller software for Deere & Co.

I got to cut with the 066 on Saturday. It ran good. It doesn't have the chain speed of my 460, but then again, I only had a 7-pin on it and the 460's wearing an 8-pin.

I got home from my inlaws in Findlay this afternoon and cleaned up the saws. The 1311 coil was waiting in the mail from Saturday's mail. I already got the flywheel on Friday. I swapped the flywheel, putting it in the "X" position, and installed the 1311 coil. As luck would have it, the carb was real close from running it Saturday with the RL coil. I got the tach out and tuned it by ear. I've got her set at 14,300. I suppose that's not too bad for a 92cc saw.

I will admit that I prefer running my 460. It's turning an 8-pin sprocket at 15,000 on a 28" bar. The 066 is only turning 14,300. Don't get me wrong, it's not slow. It's just that you would have to be in some mighty big wood pulling a really long bar for the 066 to out cut the 460. It's the same story between my 361 and 460 in smaller wood. A ported 460 is all the saw I will likey ever "need". That doesn't mean there's not a place for a nice running 066 in my collection. What it means is that I believe my 460 is the sweet spot for anything up to 28"-32". That would likely change with bigger wood, but I rarely see that kind of wood. When I do, I'll be running the 066.

I'm guessing that in a race, I'd want to set the 066 up with a 8-pin and a really agressive chain. Otherwise, the higher chainspeed of the 460 would out cut it. Thoughts?

Oh, the spike mount is still intact too. I totally forgot about it when I was using it Saturday.

Your 066 should outcut the 460 in small wood with a nonagressive chain. All things being equal.

Fred

My saws feel the same too.

Fact is that in small wood and big wood, the 660 outcuts the 441 regardless of chainspeed. You can lean on it a bit more.

My 441 turns 14.7k and the 660 runs about 14k.

Your 066 should outcut the 460 in small wood with a nonagressive chain. All things being equal.

Fred

I haven't timed this 066, or set the carb with timed cuts. However, how can the 066 outcut the 460 in smaller wood if the 460 is turning more RPMs and can maintain it in the cut? Chain speed is chain speed. Period. The only way it might is if I can lean on it enough to make up the difference. I have not had this 066 on the clock, just going by feel at this point. Put both of them in 36" wood and the difference would be more obvious.

I haven't timed this 066, or set the carb with timed cuts. However, how can the 066 outcut the 460 in smaller wood if the 460 is turning more RPMs and can maintain it in the cut? Chain speed is chain speed. Period. The only way it might is if I can lean on it enough to make up the difference. I have not had this 066 on the clock, just going by feel at this point. Put both of them in 36" wood and the difference would be more obvious.

Re-gear the 066. I has more power than the 460, so turn that into chain speed. A 9 tooth should provide 12% higher chain speed at the same RPM.

Let it EAT!!!!!

Back