Two chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He can piss on them and cut them down

He eats nails and shitz chainsaws

Good luck with your business

Yeah that would be a good idea, and could use that as a primary saw, would like to keep one around for a backup at least anyway. The trailer is pretty big, not sure on the specs of it, but I was told I could have the use of it if I wanted. Here's a picture of it. The hydraulics are driven by the tractor.

15761696670_cf52f54a5f_o.jpg
Ummmm can I borrow that.................I will return it on the spring!

440 or whatever the new one is. It's a very nice saw and is great with the 25" bar. I actually have a 440, 441, and a 046. All great. I prefer the 046. Just don't get a top handle. Not gonna get into all the safety issues with that but it's just not a good idea

I prefer the 441 over the 461, smoother running and m-tronic. I know some will disagree, but I have run both extensively and if I had a 260 and was deciding between the 2 I'd go 441.
If you really need massive power, which sounds like you don't, you could go 661.

I have a 250 with a 20" and a 390 with a 25" bar, this works great for me. I picked both off CL. I don't sell firewood, yet. I cut over 15 cords in the last year with this combo (mostly Douglas fir). I can't keep doing this unless I sell or give some away : ) Although the last month has been cold here, I won't burn 15 cords in the next 4 years at this rate!

I have cut some big trees and while i debated buying a bigger saw all i have ever needed is an ms 362 with a 20inch bar..get a top handle saw for limbing/climbing. I run a 192t almost as long as i run my 362 every time i cut down a firewood tree. i love being able to hold and tub the branches while holding the saw

Same here on the 192T. I'll never, ever be without a top handle again. Limbing is so much faster with one.

Harry K

You are on the right path. Get a big saw next then a mid size saw that can handle both bucking and limbing in case the big or little saw is in the shop.

And there are some of those days where it will take all three to get your wood cut.

I prefer the 441 over the 461, smoother running and m-tronic. I know some will disagree, but I have run both extensively and if I had a 260 and was deciding between the 2 I'd go 441.
If you really need massive power, which sounds like you don't, you could go 661.

Hmm that's a good point about the m-tronic. There's only $100 difference in price between the two saws. Would it be better to go a little smaller (441) to get the m-tronic or a little bigger (461) and sacrifice m-tronic?

Hmm that's a good point about the m-tronic. There's only $100 difference in price between the two saws. Would it be better to go a little smaller (441) to get the m-tronic or a little bigger (461) and sacrifice m-tronic?

the new 661 is mtronic

Port the 260 and you can quit complaining about how it pulls in hardwood. If all I had was my ported 260 I wouldn't be outgunned in most of what I cut for firewood.

That's getting to be probably more saw than I need...

It's funny how this works out, but it has happened to me and I have read it here from other members. Once you have a big saw, the big trees find you. Can't explain it, but it happens.

With that said, I have run a 441cm, dang smooth, wicked easy to start.

My usual two saw plan is either a 34cc and a 50cc or the 50 and a 70cc. I recently upgraded my former 50cc saw to a 57 and added an 88cc to the mix, so I might use that and the 57 depending on what I'm doing. I mainly got the 88 for milling, but being able to stump with it will be nice too. The only time I go into the woods with one saw is for trail maintenance. I always have no less than 3 saws with me in the truck (truck stays at the cabin).

I remember when I had a 42cc saw and thought that was plenty. It was when I had yard trees that needed pruning and the occasional 20" green ash that needed to come down, or storm damage. Now I have wooded acreage and the volume of felling, bucking, and limbing I do in a weekend exceeds ALL cutting I'd done prior to buying the woods. I wouldn't go back to a 1 saw plan - no way! Having options is just a better way to work. There's no reason to heave a 22# saw around all day if you're cutting up pecker poles and won't see wood bigger than 12". It's nice not having to whittle away at a 24" trunk too - so a 70cc saw comes in real handy. Something light for ripping through all the tops is also very handy (which is why I have my little Echo). If I was stuck with only 2 saws, I'd get a 550xp and something bigger, but I'm more Swede by genes and just plain like their saws better than my German ancestry. :) Stihl makes good stuff, but I'm not well versed in their line so I can't say what to suggest.

Latest posts

Back