Two more chainsaw tables

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. :clap: The designs are not really to my taste but I sure can appreciate the effort that goes in making these. How the heck did you get them to dry out without checking !

Thanks Bob. I do get different reactions to my style. There are some fantastic furniture makers here in the Islands that I can't compete with. I'm working on a capturing a small niche in the market. I wish I had some secret to drying to tell you but these two woods just dry that way. I have lots of wood that checks but I just work it into my design.

I've heard that if you embalm the slabs in dry sawdust, it will dry quickly. I've also heard that anti freeze will also aid the drying without checking. I believe I gleaned this info from "Understanding Wood", or "Identifying Wood", by Bruce Hoadley, Taunton Press.
Nice tables BTW.
John

The Art's

Jeff that is some work you have done there!Both table's are real showpieces!That wood is something else with all the crevices formed by nature.I was really struck by the flora when we went to Maui a few years back.I know you live on the Big Island are the trees a lot different there or are they similar to Maui?I would like to visit the the Big Island one day.Keep posting pictures of your work when you finish projects.
Lawrence

Jeff that is some work you have done there!Both table's are real showpieces!That wood is something else with all the crevices formed by nature.I was really struck by the flora when we went to Maui a few years back.I know you live on the Big Island are the trees a lot different there or are they similar to Maui?I would like to visit the the Big Island one day.Keep posting pictures of your work when you finish projects.
Lawrence

I think there's a lot of the same trees on all the islands. I didn't pay attention to it like I do now. You'd like the Big Island. It's very diverse and is yet to get built up like Oahu and Maui. And thanks for the compliments. I like using the natural shape of the wood, defects and all. I go for rustic look which some people like.

One of the times I visited my sister, on Oahu, we cooked a hind quarter of beef on a rotisserie over a Kiawe-wood fire. It was fantastic.
Beautiful tables PG. :clap:

How big is the first table?

I just love that wild shaped top! I'm wondering if it would look good without the blond panels the legs are fastened to? Perhaps flat stock steel, or piece of wood, could be fastened to the bottom center to stiffen it, but not show? Obviously it needs something to keep it from cracking in the middle. Then a glass top could be added to protect and further stiffen it. Or, do you guys prefer it with the blond panels the legs are already fastened to?

BTW, please don't take this as criticism. Your work is beautiful. I'm just trying to nail down what I want to order:clap:

How big is the first table?

I just love that wild shaped top! I'm wondering if it would look good without the blond panels the legs are fastened to? Perhaps flat stock steel, or piece of wood, could be fastened to the bottom center to stiffen it, but not show? Obviously it needs something to keep it from cracking in the middle. Then a glass top could be added to protect and further stiffen it. Or, do you guys prefer it with the blond panels the legs are already fastened to?

BTW, please don't take this as criticism. Your work is beautiful. I'm just trying to nail down what I want to order:clap:

It measures 25" x 26" and is 20" tall.
Thanks for the compliment. I make each piece according to what I think will look good. It's only natural for people to have differing views. I'm very critical of myself, anyways. I do have another kiawe table that 19" x19" and is kind of a baseball mitt shape. It is holding together on it's own.

attachment.php

Come home to papa!:clap: I can't wait to see this table in person!

Back