Two Years Of Improvements In Meteor Cylinder Kits (Brad's Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not a builder. Never claimed to be. But this thread has some really good info. Thanks fellas.

I'd like to see a poll, but don't seem to be able to add it to my thread. How many guys, paying $250 for a port job, would choose to save $100-$150 on a lesser quality cylinder.

That's where I get a little confused...

If the squish band is cut, and the ports hogged out, what are the remaining issues with the cylinder?

It looks like you'll end up cutting out all those horrible port bevels and be able to clean it up nice. The squish can be fixed quickly. So it all comes down to:

Is the plating of decent quality?
Is the bore straight and has the correct clearance?
Are the ports any bigger in any locations than what you'd want?
Will the casting hold its shape once heat cycled?
Will the extra time spent to fix the issues overcome the cost savings of the AM kit?

Terry, you nailed it on the head, saying it better than I could. I will not put my name on an AM cylinder, period. That's all there is to it. Most all of our builders here have weighed in, and all but one agrees with me. I ported my early 460 Meteor kit. It didn't have close to the power that the final OEM kit did. Even though that was a raffle saw being given away, I wasn't going to have my reputation on that cylinder. Could I have found what was limiting it? Sure. But why polish a turd and spend the time figuring out what's missing that shouldn't be.

I learned a long time ago, that the guy that speaks out gets all the flack. That's OK though. It is what it is. Good or bad, I'll speak the truth.

I've spoken my mind, and given my opinion. If your opinion differs from mine, fine. You're entitled to that. Just don't resort to childish games like stickying old threads:(

Terry, you nailed it on the head, saying it better than I could. I will not put my name on an AM cylinder, period. That's all there is to it. Most all of our builders here have weighed in, and all but one agrees with me. I ported my early 460 Meteor kit. It didn't have close to the power that the final OEM kit did. Even though that was a raffle saw being given away, I wasn't going to have my reputation on that cylinder. Could I have found what was limiting it? Sure. But why polish a turd and spend the time figuring out what's missing that shouldn't be.

I learned a long time ago, that the guy that speaks out gets all the flack. That's OK though. It is what it is. Good or bad, I'll speak the truth.

I've spoken my mind, and given my opinion. If your opinion differs from mine, fine. You're entitled to that. Just don't resort to childish games like stickying old threads:(

Send me that 460 kit then.

i have built several performance v8 engines over the last 26 years and the best performance and consistency has came from cnc ported cylinder heads,you would think that a big company like meteor or tecomec could afford a 5 axis cnc machine charge an extra $40 bucks and be 99% consistent and be second to none?just one of my crazy questions i ask myself:confused:

Terry, you nailed it on the head, saying it better than I could. I will not put my name on an AM cylinder, period. That's all there is to it.

A serious question: are there models of saws you won't work on because you had a crappy OEM jug?

Why did you start this thread if your not putting your name on AM cylinders? Sound like your mind was already made up. If you "speak the truth" then you show pics of old and new and said no improvement, then said different. Who's name is on all the ported bb bores and aftermarket cylinders you ported?

Seems to me you need to run something for awhile as received, before calling it junk or trying to port it. That's just basic logic to evaluate something honestly. Someone did a evaluation on, I think, a bb ms361 kit a few years ago that seemed to like it despite of an out of round cylinder.

Please tell me that you're not the one that stickied those threads.

There's no double standard at all. Behind the scenes, I've given constructive criticism on AM kits for years. Meteor putting their name on this crap, and then seeing then pushed on the unsuspecting, was the straw that broke the camels back. You seem to think that I "have an agenda" or have "ulterior motives". What are you talking about?

Last edited:
i won't port or work on any saw with a questionable cylinder no matter brand or model. i log for a living using a saw several hrs a day. i don't make a living messing with porting saws so i can afford to say no when it comes to working on a saw i don't want to work on. i have told many, many, many people to call other saw builders to port there saw becouse i will not work on a particular model. every saw that i port for others i have used and owned for myself at some time. i buy a saw and experiment on it till i find what i think is the best recipe for my style of porting. doesnt matter how many cylinders i ruin ,i keep on trying to find that just right combo.i will not offer my services to anyone for any saw that i dont have a firm grasp on what needs to be done. so i will not work on a cylinder that is not in my opinion up to par. whether it be oem or aftermarket. my rules of operation is by no means the rules other builders should go by. everyone has there line in the sand. mines just a little further up front than some others is. now i if or when i start working on saws for a living i will start to expand what i will and wont work on just becouse thats what a full time saw builder does. i work on old saws and homeowner saws all the time for friends and family so and am not a stranger to any model. i have been at this for nore than a few yrs. ive been logging since i was 12 or 13 and been fixing my own saws from the word go. so back to the question at hand yes i will tell someone the cylinder needs to be replaced before i will continue my work.

There are currently 25 users browsing this thread. (24 members and 1 guests)

Now we cookin'.:msp_wink:

Please tell me that you're not the one that stickied those threads.

There's no double standard at all. Behind the scenes, I've given constructive criticism on AM kits. Meteor putting their name on this crap, and then seeing then pushed on the unsuspecting, was the straw that broke the camels back. You seem to think that I "have an agenda" or have "ulterior motives". What are you talking about?

Here's what I see. You posted two year old pics of a kit....made a blanket statement that they were all junk because of those pics (which I would bet were the worst you had in your files).

Then you were sent a new kit to look at after you said you would give it a fair evaluation. When you received the kit you overly enlarged the pics to exaggerate the "defects" and then stated that this was no improvement at all. Which is a load of bull####.

You also said you wouldn't waste your time installing this sorry kit.....but looking back through your posts shows you've installed must worse and crowed about how great it was.

You've dropped a bunch in my eyes over this #### Brad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back