Ugly cottonwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when ya plan on doing that little scrub tree? if ya could put it off for a week or 2 i'm there. i'm moving down to GA this saturday and will need a week to get settled. i'd like to check out your hopped up 335.:D

you mean that 6 foot dbh scrubber, eh, Ken...;)

Sorry, we is doin' 'er Sat and Monday. My loss, I reckon..

I have to finalize a bid on two badass douglas fir. Got to make sure the all terrain crane (at 185 per hr) can get in. Otherwise, the price would be way higher. One isn't too bad, but near the primaries, and on a bit of a slope. Brushing it out is no problem, wood dropping would be delicate without the crane. The other is behind the garage, right by front steps and walkway with NO drop zone. I think we can zip the branches over the garage, and lower the wood til we're within range of the crane. Probably 2500 board feet of low grade knotty stuff, but I dont want to have to buck wood--much less lower it. It should take two short days and bring in $3000 or a bit more-

If we get the job, pics will be great, as it is right on Lake Sammamish, and the house is very nice, $2mm or so.

$2mm----Is there an exchange rate to U.S. currency or did you mean to write that the house is 42mm -aka postage stamp size?:p

Thank you, dear sir,

Say, were those your twin sisters you sent those pics of? I could send them plane tickets, but they might need coats, it is close to 40 degrees out tonite.

Update:

We started the tree today. One climber was hung over, had to come out of the tree, took a couple hours before he was worth much on the ground. So Dave did 95% of the canopy work. He guyed the two leaders we worked on to each other and then back to a third one. I set up the chain saw winch, which we used to lift five heavy low branches. It worked beautifully, and we also had a lowering line backup for most of them, set in the other stem. On a couple, we attached a butt line and tensioned it carefully with the chipper winch, which helped to swing them, and keep the butt away from Dave, then orient the branch correctly and closer to the chipper. Sweet!! We were able to dump both tops. But it went slowly, and produced a full truck load of chips. Monday the boom truck comes in for the back stuff. Should be about 10-14 picks, hopefully 3 hours.

That will leave us time to go do a 65+ foot bitter cherry, split for a couple years, and leaning over a house. Should be three picks. Then we crane four small fir sticks on one job and two on another. It will be a busy Monday!!!

So due to being short handed a bit, I got hardly any pics...
Got one good video and these two pics.

You bet Craig.

More pics of the week's jobs coming up on a new thread...

We craned the rest of the tree today, 5 hrs of crane time. Man, what a job!!

Here's pics, more later:

All the picks were leaning back, some were 35-45 foot leaders, others 20-40 foot branches.

After this pick, we got the stick out of the boom's way. Saturday, we had left both sticks for possible lifeline tie ins, but only used them a bit. We cut the second one out a while later, had no used it at all.

Sorry about the overexposed pics, gotta do a better job of explaining the camera use.

Slinging it and a short section together, that it was lying on.

Last edited:
Back