Ugly cottonwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right sling was wrapped on upper branch, then choked to lower. Second around hanger and attached section. Third not yet around hanger closer in.

I had messed up and not set a lifeline above me, so had to rappel off the hook, while walking down the hanger, which started tipping from my weight. I quickly grabbed the trunk, and after unclipping my lifeline which I had gotten hopelessly tanged in the web of slings and branches, Mike lifted it out.

(First, I had cut that stub which the hanger was resting on, so it was mostly supported by the boom.)

almost

Here you can see the space the boom truck had to get in. We had to cut down a pear and an dying cherry to get him in.

I'm out of harm's way, letting Mike pick it vertical. I usually had to nip a bit to break them free.

We lifted a couple not that much smaller than this one, Saturday with the chain saw winch.

Well, that would be Ian, the drunk one from saturday. Monday he forgot his head...

..leave it to the b.day boy to bring that up.

hey what's with the red paint, a new game?

Last pick, a big one. I was just starting to cut it, when I looked up at it's size and the small diameter where I had slung it. went back up and set another sling lower. Felt a lot better.

Too bad these are so overexposed..

Boy would this tree have been a pain; structure, ivy and all, if we followed OSHA's stupidity and did not ride the load line up for the tough sling sets.

I'll put them on pbase soon. http://www.pbase.com/rbtree/barnett_tree_care_at_work

yep, Craig, the "Cadillac pads" are the best. Most of us west coast climbers wear 'em.

I'm a terror on ebay. I just won another auction, a new 346. of course it will get modified. With two, maybe I could run a 42 inch bar on one... whaddya youse guys think?

Last edited:
Ivy covered trees can be a real pain. Looks like you were able to work above it most of the day, though.

I'm impressed, Rog. Tricky looking job, where you gotta figure out some things as you go based on past experience and ingenuity. Nice!

Yeah, Bri, it was mostly stuff like lifelines getting tangled in it....

Last yr, my good friend Scott Baker climbed and inspected a 4 foot dbh doug fir, that was ivy covered. Another company stripped the ivy, which took over 2 days for two climbers. The trunks came off in 2 sq foot sections, pretty much solid ivy. The guys were extra careful, as it was hard to see any chain saw nicks in the bark, not that it would have hurt anything on such an old tree with thick bark. The tree made a Seattle P/I story.

I identified the guy using a multi-point person identification system that I broke into while hacking the Pentagon.

Here's his profile:
Alias: "Grampa"
Skills: the brush dragging
Identifing Characteristics: fingerless, green
Interests: clock punching
Drug History: hemp using
Constitution Schedule: hourly
Hearing: poor

Suggested Employment Position: GROUNDMAN

This concludes the composite report of the CIA and FBI's person profiling database. For more information, Google.com generally has more to offer.

Here's the image again to clarify any confusion:

groundie.jpg

Yours truly and only in fun,

Nickrosis

Back