Ultrasonic carb cleaner......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to bump this one for other Canadians that may be looking for a good Ultrasonic cleaner.

Did you ever find an ultrasonic cleaner in Canada, Chris? I heard about the HF version so I looked at Princess auto on Saturday. They had nothing. I don't want to buy one without seeing it in person so am staying away from the bay. I used one at work last week and it did a great job. I've cleared a spot on my bench for one...just gotta get one setup before the space disappears.

There's gotta be other Canucks with these that have bought them locally. Speak up please!

No, I never found one Darcy, except for the wee little one I got at the flea market for $5, just big enough to hold a saw carb.

I got an offer today from another member to bring one back with him when he comes to canada, and he recommended the HF one so I may try it.

Not something I will use a lot, so I don't want to spend a lot, but I want one that works. The one that Will has looks good too.

Decisions, decisions. I found it strange that Princess Auto doesn't sell them. WTF?

Great responses guys!

Thanks for all the great info guys. What I'm seeing there are two options. Buy from HF in person or get on the internet. Either ebay or Amazon. Since there are no HF's in my neck of the woods I guess I'll start looking online.

I was thinking $100 would get me a decent cleaner. There are 3 units at work bought from medical sales places. I was told one was $1100. It wasn't big enough to do a whole saw case. I'll definitely try it if I need a big one though!!

Based on the inside dimensions of some of the units listed by you guys I think 2 - 2.5l should be adequate. I could get the average cylinder done in there even if I had to rotate it a few times. Definitely large enough for carbs and little bits and pcs.

In my search I did find one place in Toronto that sells used lab equipment. they were selling new and used higher end units. You had to inquire about pricing so and I didn't. I'm less the 2 hrs from TO so that may be an option if they are good deals. I'm not holding my breath!

This was waiting for me when I arrived back home last night. As I mentioned, $85 off Amazon with free shipping. 60 watt USC and 100 watt heater.

I will try it out tomorrow and let you know the results.

170010d1296231859-usc-1-jpg

170009d1296231857-usc-3-jpg

Mark

This is the one I have: NEW 2.5L PRO DIGITAL HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER 250 W on eBay.ca (item 300518702145 end time 25-Jan-11 17:44:51 EST)

I bought it 6 or 7 months ago from that same seller. It ships from Canada so there were no border hassles. I have used it several times and have been happy with it.

I was looking at that same one myself. Looks like a good comprimise of size,power and cost.

Might have to wait a bit to get one right now though. Moneys going all kind of places at the moment.

This was waiting for me when I arrived back home last night. As I mentioned, $85 off Amazon with free shipping. 60 watt USC and 100 watt heater.

Mark

Mark,
Nice looking setup. Maybe you can post a video of it working its magic on a dirty carb? Followed up with a video of a big ole Mac revving smooth as silk!

170010d1296231859-usc-1-jpg

170009d1296231857-usc-3-jpg

or the same one from HF.. $45. diff name,same unit..

attachment.php

Out of the two i have i much more prefer the smaller one for carbs..
it is about 1/3 the capacity but will hold two carbs.

heres the one HF has on sale,big enough for two carbs..less watts but in a smaller capacity works better..

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Chris,

I was looking at the store near Port Huron. I may have to take a drive. The 2.5L unit on ebay for $135 is pretty nice too.

Seems like an easy sell for my wife. This is for cleaning jewelry, honey. Look it up on the internet. SOLD!

Good luck with the wife Darcy, but you know that's gonna bite you in the ass sooner or later.:sad:

I didn't have any really dirty carburetors laying around loose, so I threw this one in:

170234d1296357236-dscn2971-jpg

And after several 480 second cycles it looks like this:

170233d1296357234-dscn2989-jpg

It works reasonably well, but I'm not overly impressed. I'l try a few more items in the coming days and see what happens.

Mark

P.S. I'm using water and a bit of Purple Power

Last edited:
Chris,

I was looking at the store near Port Huron. I may have to take a drive. The 2.5L unit on ebay for $135 is pretty nice too.

Seems like an easy sell for my wife. This is for cleaning jewelry, honey. Look it up on the internet. SOLD!

:laugh: I'm sure she would like her jewelry cleaned sitting next to carburetors... :D No, she probably would like it. Be a lot less smelly than that jar of sulfuric assid. :bulgy-eyes:

I didn't have any really dirty carburetors laying around loose, so I threw this one in:

It works reasonably well, but I'm not overly impressed. I'l try a few more items in the coming days and see what happens.

Mark

P.S. I'm using water and a bit of Purple Power

Mark,,I also was not impressed with the larger unit on carbs,thats why i got the smaller one,works much better.
the large one i use for cylinders and air filters and such but still takes many cycles.
i use water and a good bit of purple power and some ammonia..
have to be carefull or it can change the color of the carb metal..that dont bother me tho as long as it gets clean.
have also used a product called "awsome" that is milder and works well.
keep trying your cleaning solution mix'es on old carbs untill you find what works and wont change the metal color if it bothers you.
and keep pressing that button :)

We use a 150 gallon unit at work and we have found that too high a concentration of cleaner diminishes the ultrasonic affects. We shoot for a 25% solution of potassium hydroxide.

We use a 150 gallon unit at work and we have found that too high a concentration of cleaner diminishes the ultrasonic affects. We shoot for a 25% solution of potassium hydroxide.

Yeah I've had good luck in a one-quart capacity machine with just a few drops of Simple Green when doing chainsaw carbs. You just need enough of whatever cleaner as a surfactant to break the water tension.

Back