Ultrasonic Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HF has the 2.6 liter ones for $49, I just got 2, one for the shop and one for the wife.

Just checked online and it shows $80 for 2.6 quart model. Did you have a special coupon? I'd like to get a second one if it truly that price.

Used the coupon from "road and track"

The largest HF USC (the one that I have) is actually larger than those. It is 2.6 quarts compared with 2 litres (2.1 quarts). Used it yesterday to clean my first chainsaw carb and it worked great with just windex, diluted with H2O. Wife at work - don't tell her. :cheers:

I was looking at that one at HF, had at the checkout even, and they wouldn't honor their flyer price of $59.99 because I didn't have the flyer in hand (yep, left it on the counter at home, but generally the store flyer prices are in-store pricing...)

Anyway, looking at it closer online, you only get 480s of on time with it, and recommended up to 15 minutes per hour of on time. Can it get the job done in 8 minutes? The one from Northern (or Amazon) can go up to 30 minutes.

If it can get the job done in 8 minutes or less, I may go pick one up. If I have to keep pushing to go button...

I have been very happy with the large HF one. The 480 seconds is not too big
of a deal for me, as I am usually nearby while it is running. I do plan on looking
for an even larger one shortly, though. The HF can just fit a starter
cover for most saws I work on if I angle it just right and fill the tub with
the cleaning solution. I would love to find one large enough to put a split case in, or a large
cylinder. (do they make them that big?).

I have become an ultrasonic cleaning junky and my saws are looking really good!
As an aside, has anyone tried cleaning a muffler in one? If so, would air be enough
to dry it or should I try a toaster oven?

I was looking at that one at HF, had at the checkout even, and they wouldn't honor their flyer price of $59.99 because I didn't have the flyer in hand (yep, left it on the counter at home, but generally the store flyer prices are in-store pricing...)

Anyway, looking at it closer online, you only get 480s of on time with it, and recommended up to 15 minutes per hour of on time. Can it get the job done in 8 minutes? The one from Northern (or Amazon) can go up to 30 minutes.

If it can get the job done in 8 minutes or less, I may go pick one up. If I have to keep pushing to go button...

Yeah, depending on how dirty it is. I only used a mild detergent and it was done in 8 minutes - of course it wasn't the gunkiest of carbs either. It is a pain to keep hitting the time every four minutes but just do it while you work on the computer or while doing something else.

Next I'll try a cleaner such as purple or green and then maybe something like mineral spirits.

I have been very happy with the large HF one. The 480 seconds is not too big
of a deal for me, as I am usually nearby while it is running. I do plan on looking
for an even larger one shortly, though. The HF can just fit a starter
cover for most saws I work on if I angle it just right and fill the tub with
the cleaning solution. I would love to find one large enough to put a split case in, or a large
cylinder. (do they make them that big?).

I have become an ultrasonic cleaning junky and my saws are looking really good!
As an aside, has anyone tried cleaning a muffler in one? If so, would air be enough
to dry it or should I try a toaster oven?

Mufflers do well in these. I use Tide or purple cleaner diluted, and it softens up th ecarbon after while. I run it an hour at about 130˚ F.

As the name implies "ultrasonic" means above the hearing level of most humans. That being said I can hear the ultra sound if I am close enough to it and it is relatively loud if I have one of my hearing aids in. Nothing objectionable - might drive your dog or cat wacky though.

You're really only hearing a lower harmonic of the actual fundamental frequency of the US cleaner. The usual frequency is around ~50 KHz, which is beyond even a dog's hearing.

Jimbo

The reason I asked is because I picked up a nice used one, it makes a very audible clicking noise. I guess it works though, I did the foil test on it and it ate holes right through.

HF Ultrasonic Cleaner

I picked up the Harbor Freight US cleaner last Friday. Have put 3 carbs through it alread. One on which I put on a very nice Stihl 026 -- it cleaned up nicely and ran out very well, and adjusted with no problem. I've tried several recommendations on the water/cleaner mix. But I like the heated mode with little or no cleaner at all at this point. I don't think you can beat it for the money, especially with the extended replacement warranty. Thanks guys for the recommendation. :clap:
Tommy

Philbert Joined the Club!

OK, because of you guys, I purchased the larger, heated, Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner (#95563) today for $48 + tax with the sale price and coupon mentioned above (thanks again Walt41). That's 40% off total.

I normally don't like buying cheap or knock off tools, but I trust you guys and have 4 carbs waiting to get rebuilt, so it is a limited risk. If it works, I might be tempted to invest in a 'real' or larger unit down the road.

I did not buy the extended warranty ($6 for additional 15 months or $10 for additional 27 months): I will risk the 90 day* warranty and picked out the box with the least damage.

One more thing to add to my bought-because-of-AS pile!

Philbert

*The store clerk told me it has a 30 day warranty, but the instruction manual says 90 days, and my VISA doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to a year, so I have 180 days!

Last edited:
OK, because of you guys, I purchased the larger, heated, Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner (#95563) today for $48 + tax with the sale price and coupon mentioned above (thanks again Walt41). That's 40% off total.

I normally don't like buying cheap or knock off tools, but I trust you guys and have 4 carbs waiting to get rebuilt, so it is a limited risk. If it works, I might be tempted to invest in a 'real' or larger unit down the road
I'm glad it worked out for you, my wife did her rings last night in hers and I have an old carb in mine right now. Thinking I might get the floor model sandblast cabinet next, my homemade one is just about shot after about ten years of abuse.

A Nice Explanation

Ultrasonic Cleaner FAQ - Just starting out with ultrasonic cleaning? Read this first.

http://www.sonicsonline.com/ultrasonic-cleaning-frequently-asked-questions.html

P.S. Keep your spouse happy:

"Ultrasonic cleaning is not recommended for the following gemstones: opal, pearl, tanzanite, malachite, turquoise, lapis and coral."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewellery_cleaning

"Certain types of cleaning can damage some jewellery. For example, some class rings are coated with a dark pigment to reduce their shininess. Some gemstones, such as white topaz, have an overlay to produce certain colors. Ultrasonic cleaning can remove this coating, if it is not a quality piece. Ultrasonic cleaning is also contraindicated for opals, pearls and amber, and any other gemstone that is porous. Gemstones that are glued in (a common practice with semiprecious stones in non-precious methods, and in class rings) should not be placed into an ultrasonic cleaner. An ultrasonic cleaner can cause stones that are loose in their settings to come out. Jewellery should always be examined for overlays and loose stones prior to cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner or a steam cleaner."

Philbert

This May be Obvious

Been playing around with my HF US cleaner (HFUSC?) with the 2.5 quart capacity and heater. This may be obvious, but it takes a while for the water to heat up. Seems like a better idea is to fill the tank with warm water from the tap (if using water) to get a head start.

Been using Windex, paint thinner, etc., inside smaller glass bottles for actual part cleaning, per the earlier suggestions, so replacing the surrounding bath water when it gets cold between uses is no big deal.

OK, the paint thinner in the small baby food bottle got pretty warm after about 10 minutes!

Philbert

Last edited:
Back