Understanding oiler on Echo CS-4600

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkThompson

Reaction score
First post on here, so bear with me.

I recently came into a few old saws, I managed to get the little Stihl running like a top, now I'm working on an Echo CS-4600. Just looking at the manual and the styling it looks like a pretty old saw. Dealt with a few fuel system issues, it runs great now, but it slobbers oil everywhere.

I took it apart down to the point in the pic. I don't see any way that the clutch ties into the oil pump. Is this designed to pump oil constantly, even when the saw is at idle?

There also is a big blob of silicone, looks like where somebody tried to halfass fix an oil leak. I'm trying to pull the pump, but this plate in front is stuck. The plate with two little holes in it. I can get it to spin, but I don't see any easy way to get it off the shaft. Any ideas?

IMG_1426.jpg

Thanks in advance

Thanks for that link, can't believe I didn't find those diagrams. So am I correct in thinking that this saw oils all the time, whether the chain is spinning or not?

Correct. There should be an adjustment on the bottom along with arrows to increase or decrease oil output.

Thanks. So to pull off the oil pump I need to get this plate/spacer off. Any ideas? I can't get between the oil pump body and the plate, so I was thinking maybe gear puller over the whole deal.

Looks like that washer should just slip off. Might need to cut or disconnect the oil line to get it to come out.

I would also order part 6 from that same page as well.

In the interest of not being the guy that leaves a thread open...

Now that I have a little better understanding of this saw I'm more comfortable with how it's oiling. Going to leave that washer on there and just run it as it is for now. Appreciate the links and advice from you two, I'm sure I'll be back shortly with more questions trying to get my bigger Stihl and the Alaskan Mill working. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back