Uneven cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD2010

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a used USG grinder and having trouble getting cutters even. Chain is in vise the outer cutters seem to be be getting ground more than the inner ones. The next time I use it I want to check how much with a caliper. I have settings set at 40/15/30. Any ideas on what is going on?

Last edited:
Yes, it is somewhat normal for a lot of the lower priced grinders. You end up off center as the wheel wears. Factor of the arc the head travels through. I have always snuck up to the second set of cutters to be ground. Even though I have a pair of 5i1ax units I still do the same thing. ( reason for the pair is one is set left ,other right.). I do commercial grinding, so it is quicker that way for me. Only takes a minute to sneak up on them.

Yes, it is somewhat normal for a lot of the lower priced grinders. You end up off center as the wheel wears. Factor of the arc the head travels through. I have always snuck up to the second set of cutters to be ground. Even though I have a pair of 5i1ax units I still do the same thing. ( reason for the pair is one is set left ,other right.). I do commercial grinding, so it is quicker that way for me. Only takes a minute to sneak up on them.

Ok, so just readjust stop on second set of cutters. Correct.

If you price a Stihl USG grinder, you will quickly decide that it is not a lower priced grinder for it will set you back a arm and a leg.

I've honestly never noticed mine doing that, and I don't know a way to fix it. My USG has been very consistent. Using the 40/-15/-30 and 40/+15/+30 settings you might be able to adjust the "15" number a hash mark or two to make it better. Just experiment a little. Also, check with your manual to make sure you have your washers and spacers in the correct places.

I've honestly never noticed mine doing that, and I don't know a way to fix it. My USG has been very consistent. Using the 40/-15/-30 and 40/+15/+30 settings you might be able to adjust the "15" number a hash mark or two to make it better. Just experiment a little. Also, check with your manual to make sure you have your washers and spacers in the correct places.

The best I can tell is it is missing the shim but it doesn't need it for .050 as per manual. I use small washers as in the manual.

I bought a used USG grinder and having trouble getting cutters eaven. Chain is in vise the outer cutters seem to be be getting ground more than the inner ones. The next time I use it I want to check how much with a caliper. I have settings set at 40/15/30. Any ideas on what is going on?

the 15 middle setting has a plus and a minus setting ,when you switch right to left are you sliding from plus 15 to minus 15 ?on the table slide

Oops. For some reason I was thinking .050 was 1.5mm. How thick is that shim? Should be simple to make. Thanks for noticing that.
I don't have my good calipers here, just a cheap set. Looks to be about .007" I compared to my feeler gauges and that looks just right.

i have a usg ,and am still learning the more i use it if i leave the table on zero ,i can go right to left and cutters are the same ,i have been sliding the table to 20 ,plus and minus for right and left ,when i switch sides i have to readjust the depth knob on top or the cutters don't look the same right to left ,i always adjust with the grinder off and just eyeball to get close ,then do a test on the other side and tweak some till look even ,do your teeth get good results on zero on the table ? i think i was on 30 for motor /wheel tilt ,zero on slide ,and 25 on table angle and got a decent cutting work chain ,i do 90% square sharpening so this is just something that may work for you

i have a usg ,and am still learning the more i use it if i leave the table on zero ,i can go right to left and cutters are the same ,i have been sliding the table to 20 ,plus and minus for right and left ,when i switch sides i have to readjust the depth knob on top or the cutters don't look the same right to left ,i always adjust with the grinder off and just eyeball to get close ,then do a test on the other side and tweak some till look even ,do your teeth get good results on zero on the table ? i think i was on 30 for motor /wheel tilt ,zero on slide ,and 25 on table angle and got a decent cutting work chain ,i do 90% square sharpening so this is just something that may work for you

I have never tried any other adjustments other than what is on chart. This is new to me also. I may try 0 next time.

I've gotten pretty good results at zero for the table. I do use 40* for the head tilt and 30* for top plate angle still.

Back