Unistrut guide rail question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsrunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do any of y'all using unistrut have a good way to splice 2 pieces together to make a 20 ft guide rail? My unistrut pieces are 10 ft long and work well but I need to work up a nice chestnut oak log a little over 16 ft long and have been trying to figure out how to splice 2 pieces together for a long cut without having them deflect too much. I want to stay with the 10 footers because they are easy to move into the woods. Any good suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!!!

I have never used the uni-strut rails but I do know that Trever is in the process of doing exactly what you are talking about, you may wanna give him a shout. Best of luck to ya!:cheers:

A simple method is using 3/8" or 5/16" all thread rod. I drilled a number of holes 2' apart so that I could join it at 2' intervals. Here are two pairs of 10' pieces joined to slab a 16' log.

attachment.php

thanks!

Dusty and Bob,
Thanks for the quick replies. I have some questions bubbling in my pea brain that are trying to come out but haven't made it yet. I need to think some more and then I'll be back to pester you experts again. Thanks guys.
Scott

They make couplings to join unistrut together. One type fits inside the strut and is not as strong. The other type usually will use 4 bolts and spring nuts and fits on the outside. Look up Thomas and Betts or B-Line and you will see them listed in there catalog.

Some questions

Bob,
I think I see the 2 10 ft sections are overlapped side to side. Is that correct?
(Not a short piece "scabbed on" to bridge the joint?)
How much overlap do the 2 sections have?
Do you use this same setup for the initial cut?
If so, does the spliced section sag? Or does the all thread rest on the top of the log and support the rails?

thanks
Scott

Bob,
I think I see the 2 10 ft sections are overlapped side to side. Is that correct?
Yep!
(Not a short piece "scabbed on" to bridge the joint?)
Correct
How much overlap do the 2 sections have?
about 3 ft (2 threaded rods)
Do you use this same setup for the initial cut?
Yes
If so, does the spliced section sag?
Yes it will sag if unsupported and a heavy mill is used. I support unsupported sections longer than about 4 ft with wedges and blocks of wood
Or does the all thread rest on the top of the log and support the rails?

I cut shallow grooves across the log into the bark to provide more support. I also have angle iron that are bolted to the undreneath of the unistrut. These connect into the ends of the log with threaded holes thru which pointed 5/16" bolts pass and bite into the log end. Like this
attachment.php

Back