"Unleaded Fuel Only" Warnings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got a new Dolmar 4 stroke blower and there is a tag on the gas cap stating to use only unleaded fuel. First off since there hasn't been any leaded fuel to buy at the pump for many a year it seems a little ridiculous for mfgs to be worried about it. Second I actually do use leaded fuel as I use AvGas in all my small engines. I'm thinking that is just an emissions statement since I doubt that blower has an O2 sensor or a catalytic converter. I have seen these tags before and I ignore then. Just thought I would get some insight here.

Just got a new Dolmar 4 stroke blower and there is a tag on the gas cap stating to use only unleaded fuel. First off since there hasn't been any leaded fuel to buy at the pump for many a year it seems a little ridiculous for mfgs to be worried about it. Second I actually do use leaded fuel as I use AvGas in all my small engines. I'm thinking that is just an emissions statement since I doubt that blower has an O2 sensor or a catalytic converter. I have seen these tags before and I ignore then. Just thought I would get some insight here.

catalytic converter......you may want to check on this.

I was making a funny on the catalytic thing however maybe the California versions do???? Hmmmmm I know they listed to models with one sold on the coast. What is the deal with that state anyway!!!!!?????

I also use AV gas in my saw's...........but not the blower it has a catalytic converter :bang: :bang:

Bill, seriously, check that thing for a cat. probably why they put the sticker on it, it's probably a strat and cat combo. My little Kawasaki handheld blower has one. :censored: although probably not for long. :D

What model blower??? got an IPL for it?

Bill, seriously, check that thing for a cat. probably why they put the sticker on it, it's probably a strat and cat combo. My little Kawasaki handheld blower has one. although probably not for long.

What model blower??? got an IPL for it?
Its a 250.4. Eric I went to the site and looked at both versions IPL 250.4 and 251.4 and no call out for a converter. Just muffler and spark arrestor (unless I missed it). Is it in the muffler per a certain P/N. Heck I'm going to use my gas anyway. If something plugs up then I'll remove it.

Hey, I dunno!! Aside from jojo & boogerlips, it's a nice place!!
Seems like everything you buy has a special Calf. version. I know its been that way for umstein yrs now. Got to be a real pain in the rear to live there seems to me.

I believe leaded gas is still sold at the pump in some countries where it may be offered for sale. People used to use unleaded in 4 cycle mowers, was it an issue with valve deposits? Obviously it wasn't a problem in cars.

Since I didn't see anyone put it out there, maybe the warning label about unleaded fuel only is so somebody doesn't try to run their saw on Diesel.

Just like the warning labels on almost every unleaded fuel car. Either in the dash or on the fuel cap or inside the door.

Maybe the warning is so that people only put straight gas in it, not oil/gas mix.

As an aside to the use of AVGAS-- can you run CAM2 in stock chainsaws?? AVGAS is less available than CAM2 here.

Thanks,
2Door

Well I got the answer. Simple as it was. It won't run on AvGas. Yep that right. I started it up yesterday and fueled er up with the blue stuff and it wouldn't take full speed. Every time I gave it full throttle it would die. Always started right backup and idled perfectly. Would even run almost full throttle. Soon after I pulled it wide open it would sputter and die unless I let off quickly. Dumped out the AvGas and put in straight 87unleaded and it runs fine. I remembered that when I run AvGas in the chainsaws they require a richer tune. Darn EPA has these engines right on the coughin edge. And of course there is no adjustments on the carb.

you want an old carb with needles and all :)

I wonder if AvGas burns slower than regular petrol? Aero engines are generally very slow-revving, i know the Cessna 152's Lycoming units only went to 2500 RPM. Blowers, saws and such are way up in the 10,000 range. Much less time for the fuel to go bang.

Do they require the "UL only" warning in terms of health? leaded petrol is unhealthy stuff to handle and burn close to one's self. Do try not to breath the fumes and remember, it can be absorbed through skin...

Well I got the answer. Simple as it was. It won't run on AvGas. Yep that right. I started it up yesterday and fueled er up with the blue stuff and it wouldn't take full speed. Every time I gave it full throttle it would die. Always started right backup and idled perfectly. Would even run almost full throttle. Soon after I pulled it wide open it would sputter and die unless I let off quickly. Dumped out the AvGas and put in straight 87unleaded and it runs fine. I remembered that when I run AvGas in the chainsaws they require a richer tune. Darn EPA has these engines right on the coughin edge. And of course there is no adjustments on the carb.

There is a LS Adjustment on that carb.

You guys crack me up. The saws we have out here are no different than the ones you all are using. The only reason you would need lead in the fuel is to prevent valve seat recession in older engines that dont have hardened seats. Like most places now we have had 10 % corn squezzins in the fuel . Ethonal does have some qualitys to it in that is raises the octane. The down side is typically when it shows up at the pumps you can expect a 10% increase in the cost & a 10% decrease in mileage. Once the change over is made from unleaded to unleaded w 10% ethonal in it a lean condition will exist & there will be an increase in the max rpm - overspeed . Left un checked will result in a slow death of the exhaust side of the piston. So what to do ? By increasing the amount of fuel delivered via both H & L screws peak combustion tempatures are reduced thus reducing the demand for higher octane fuel. Take it a step further by removing the EPA's internals from insided the muffler & rich'n it up some more . By doing this you will have actually reduced nox emissions a far worse gas than either unburnt hc or co. The best pump gas you can buy is all you need unless the compression has been raised a couple points or more. :chainsaw:

OilHead, I only run AvGas for its purity, not because I think anything I put it in needs the octane. If its something that won't get operated for along time I don't need to worry about stale gas or worse fuel shellac and other deposits left behind. This is the first time I've run something that didn't like it. Just found it interesting that the fuel metering on this blower was sensitive enough to tell th difference.

Back