Unprofessional ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its that time of year again, they're all out there, cheap $#@#s. Yesterday I looked at 14 trees for a lady, she says times are tight but they have to go, but price is an issue, at least I allready knew what I was up against with her-fair enough. Then she starts with "my friend has cut some for me for the wood, but he does'nt have the time now, you can leave the wood and he will take it latter"-translation: your five razor sharp huskys can sit there along with two groundmen as they watch me climb my a$$ of/run the bucket, wow, how much can I take off for that? I mean we got honest hundred foot ash trees some of em! no roping but still! But we need the work as we've been eating up quite a bit lately so I gave her a real fair price, 3600. Well she did'nt seem real thrilled with that, lol. I said its alot of work, blah, blah, she says again starting off for the what felt like the hundredth time "oh I know, my friend took down 6 in just one day by himself-allmost to say that I suck because there are only 14 and I told her it might even take 3 days, well at that bit I think I actually felt my ears getting red, f#@#$#@ old b#@#$- and F yer "friend" and his saw too! Funny how this guy left all the big ones, and then " does'nt have the time", gotta love it. Its really not worth it, but I kept my cool anyway. We shall see, I wonder if all the other tree services will give her a break in may because "her friend" is a master chainsawer guy, lol. F#@#@!$ old b#@$#.

You should know by now that a guy that owns a chainsaw and has cut down A tree before considers themselves an "AXMAN".

A+

I think you were very professional.

Same kinda thing happened to me the other day. Spend 30 stupid minutes on the cell talking to a senior in his law office. Arranged a price to maintain the property for the whole year. He kept telling me really liked the sound of my voice and it looked like we were going to get alone fine. (Didn't need any of that but he said it). Drop a written estimate in his mailbox. Get a message Monday, Your fired don't come to my property, the deal is off and then some. I'm like what the hell is this guys problem. The written esti was $200 more then the verbal on a $1500. job(that's as small as they get), about what the tax came to. Now I gotta just think the guy is slacking in his law business because he's losing it. wtf

I think you were professional.

We give prices all the time and get the ":dizzy: how much :dizzy: " but we work all year round and try to weed out the people that we would rather not work for and this persons job sounds like one that we would pass on because when they are bs ing you up front it can be worse during and after the job

Last edited:
i think you handled it better than most.

i had some older folks ask me for a price so i gave it to them.i knew them but i gave them my price like i didn't.they were shocked.

said they were going to call an old black guy that used to cut trees for them.i said sounds good.

they called me back a few days later when they found out he died years ago.i guess we are supposed to live forever so we can give them prices from the great depression.

these are usually the folks that want twice top dollar when they are doing or selling something.amazing.

A couple weeks ago I had given this guy an estimate for some trim work on a large pin oak which was over his house over his wires and over his neighbors fence. 2 Limbs 14” diameter 40” long 2 others 12” diameter 30’ long. I could tell this guy was cheap and truly did not have a lot of money and I gave him what I thought was a very good price of $750. He said he didn’t have enough money and we decided not to do one of the larger limbs and the cost would be $525. I called the day before to confirm everything. Seems a ok. I get to the job set up luckily before I start getting serious he says he wants to review I do and he says we agreed on the original quote but for $525. I disagreed he says” o no that is what we agreed on”. I told my groundies to pack it up. I got down, took a deep breath, apologized to the man for the miscommunication and left as quickly as I could.

A couple weeks ago I had given this guy an estimate for some trim work on a large pin oak which was over his house over his wires and over his neighbors fence. 2 Limbs 14” diameter 40” long 2 others 12” diameter 30’ long. I could tell this guy was cheap and truly did not have a lot of money and I gave him what I thought was a very good price of $750. He said he didn’t have enough money and we decided not to do one of the larger limbs and the cost would be $525. I called the day before to confirm everything. Seems a ok. I get to the job set up luckily before I start getting serious he says he wants to review I do and he says we agreed on the original quote but for $525. I disagreed he says” o no that is what we agreed on”. I told my groundies to pack it up. I got down, took a deep breath, apologized to the man for the miscommunication and left as quickly as I could.

That sounds typical of the cheap f#@#$, thats right up there with this old rag bag broad stuffing 350$ in my flannel shirt pocket, patting it down in thanks and saying "oh its all there, don't worry-good job"-it was supposed to be 400$. So I take it out (luckily) and count it anyway right in front of her, and she says "oh, my daughter must have taken it"-I mean the daughter may have been a crackhead as well, but this old bag was way cheep, that job should have been 7 or 8 hundred, I was just starting out and had only been making 12$ an hour for my old boss, so I did'nt care.

We get these type of people all of the time too. I guess if they really want it done bad enough you can tell them to go price out their own truck and chipper. Maybe then they will get it. Its not as though those machines just dropped out of the sky for us to use. We have soooo many expenses associated with what we do.

Very professional. Could have told him you'd meet his price for dropping the tree only. Or referred him to Two-Crackheads-And-A-Pickup Tree Service, of course, then you're stuck with the referral. Seriously, I think you've left a professional impression, overall, in that neighborhood. Expect more work.
:rock: ^^^

That sounds typical of the cheap f#@#$, thats right up there with this old rag bag broad stuffing 350$ in my flannel shirt pocket, patting it down in thanks and saying "oh its all there, don't worry-good job"-it was supposed to be 400$. So I take it out (luckily) and count it anyway right in front of her, and she says "oh, my daughter must have taken it"-I mean the daughter may have been a crackhead as well, but this old bag was way cheep, that job should have been 7 or 8 hundred, I was just starting out and had only been making 12$ an hour for my old boss, so I did'nt care.

:ices_rofl: Holy cannolies, now that is low.

We actually have an American Indian tree service around here.

Little bears Tree service.

I've never met him , just seen his ads.

I just noticed this thread, with the same title as mine.
Interesting read.
I totally agree that the OP handled the situation in a professional manner.
As a customer, when I call in a professional for an estimate, I expect the quote they give me to be the going rate, or what the job is worth.
While I may dicker over price on eBay, I would never do that with a professional tradesman.
As a business owner, I've also been on the receiving end of this kind of situation. I go out and do a free estimate, calculate what the job is worth, present the bid, and either they accept it, or not. If not, I say thank you, good bye, and good luck.

Dickering is never a good idea - makes you look desperate. The more you lower, the less likely they'll be to accept.

Got a referral from a friend and went to see a lady about cutting a tree.
Gave her a price of 500.00 to cut and remove a large dead pine in the front yard, job takes 4 hrs, she comes home and is tickled pink at our clean up.

As I'm finishing up the job, her next door neighbor asks for a quote on 3 dead pines in her back yard. Tell her 450 apiece.
Cut and removed them the next day, takes all day.

All these trees above have a good drop zone , something to rig my safety off nearby and I climb them and take'm in 3rds. We drive the chipper right up next to the wood.

As we are rolling up, another neighbor asks me to look at 3 pine trees in his backyard. These are a little different, they sit right next to 2 fences (one chain link and one expensive looking wooden one.) Every thing will have to be roped down and it's a long brush drag to the chipper.

The guy tells me a sob story about his wife is sick and they are on a fixed income .... etc.

I feel sorry for the guy and tell him 500 each. I figure 2 days for everything.
I wouldn't make alot on it , but I figured I'd keep all the work in the neighborhood.

We agree on the price, I tell him I'll call him monday and schedule it sometime that following week. We strike the deal.

Saturday he calls me and asks me to drop my price. Says he was looking at a bill for some tree work he had done 7 years ago and it was 150.00 a tree.
After an ice storm, all were felled whole and they used a bobcat to move the wood. The guy says he was shocked at my price. I explain that it's not apples to apples.
Go over the differences and tell him absolutely no dropping the price. I tell him to think it over, get some more bids if he liked and I would drop by to talk with him Wednesday.

When I met with him he told me he wanted me to do the work, didn't want to get any other bids but asked me again to drop my price.

I tell him that I withdraw my bid. That I'm not interested in doing the work and would be happy to give him the numbers of 3 good tree companies in the area.

The old guy explodes ! Says I've insulted him, I'm trying to take advantage of a seniour citizen.... blah, blah , blah. And wants to know my reason for not working for him.

I tell him it's purely professional. That we had not signed the contract yet, that his attempt at renegotiation had negated the oral agreement and I no longer wished to do the job.
I looked him in the eye, never raised my voice and offered to shake hands upon parting. He refused. I wished him a great day.

My other customers called me and told the guy was going to everyone and badmouthing me.

What could I have done ?
I couldn't go any lower on the price.
And I only tell someone something 3 times.

Was my conduct unprofessional ?

How would you have handled it ?

Nah, don't fall prey to the sob story you will end up sobbing yerself.

I ****in hate big mouth customers that try to act righteous about prices: its not compulsory to like a price- take it or leave it and and shut up already. Sad thing about tree work is that its so irregular in scope- its not easy to bid accurate.

Back