upgrade rayco 1625 to 1635 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWALLIN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a little more power/speed when grinding. I love my 1625 but think more power would help out in the long run. Has anyone moved from a 1625 or Vermeer 252 up a step to the 35hp or similar motors and can tell me if it is truly worth it?

I'm looking to get a little more power/speed when grinding. I love my 1625 but think more power would help out in the long run. Has anyone moved from a 1625 or Vermeer 252 up a step to the 35hp or similar motors and can tell me if it is truly worth it?

I have run both the 1625 and sc252 as well as now the rayco 1631 and 1635. The 1631 is a nice upgrade but the 1635 is even nicer as it gives you the 2-speed travel option which is great for traveling between stumps. I'm sticking with the 1635 as I think the production is worth it. I also love the hydraulic steering which makes repositioning much easier. If I ever change grinders, it might be to the track 1635 although I would want to demo one first.

AP

I have run both the 1625 and sc252 as well as now the rayco 1631 and 1635. The 1631 is a nice upgrade but the 1635 is even nicer as it gives you the 2-speed travel option which is great for traveling between stumps. I'm sticking with the 1635 as I think the production is worth it. I also love the hydraulic steering which makes repositioning much easier. If I ever change grinders, it might be to the track 1635 although I would want to demo one first.

AP

Hey AP, how is that mini doing behind the cab? I am thinking of doing one behind the rearmount on my bucket. I measured it out and there is just enough space. Only thing that is prohibitive is the ramps to load the machine. You can't see the space behind the mount in this pic, but there is just enough. I posted the pic more for a scale of height.

View attachment 290320

And to answer your question OP. I personally would wait and get something bigger than just the next model up. There is a difference, but not too much to justify the additional expense.

Hey AP, how is that mini doing behind the cab? I am thinking of doing one behind the rearmount on my bucket. I measured it out and there is just enough space. Only thing that is prohibitive is the ramps to load the machine. You can't see the space behind the mount in this pic, but there is just enough. I posted the pic more for a scale of height.

View attachment 290320

No better way to haul a mini than right on the chip truck...

No better way to haul a mini than right on the chip truck...

Hey, I'm selling out so, my sk650 mini skid and my rg1635 stump grinder are for sale. I have a general ad in the equipment forum. The sk650 has been completely rebuilt with new undercarriage and tracks and as of this week - a brand new factory diesel engine. Over $10k in new parts. The rg1635 has fewer than 50 hours and has greenteeth.

AP

YES....

I went from a sc252 with 27 hp kohler to a bandit with a 38hp kohler....difference is
dramatic,,,,,,def worth the step up imo...

Bob.....:cheers:

I went from a 1625a sir to a Carlton sp8018 trx. What a huge huge difference. Stumps that used to take me a hour and a half now take me 15-20 mins if that. If your gonna upgrade buy bigger and never look back.

I went from a 1625a sir to a Carlton sp8018 trx. What a huge huge difference. Stumps that used to take me a hour and a half now take me 15-20 mins if that. If your gonna upgrade buy bigger and never look back.

I'd agree if access, weight and site conditions are not a limiting factor. Bigger is better only if you can get to the stump and there are no site restrictions. You're not going to take that 8018 across a pristine yard or through a 36" back gate. The 35hp machine might be slower but it will go where the big machine won't.

There's a reason stump grinders come in so many different shapes and sizes - no one grinder fits all applications.

AP

I'd agree if access, weight and site conditions are not a limiting factor. Bigger is better only if you can get to the stump and there are no site restrictions. You're not going to take that 8018 across a pristine yard or through a 36" back gate. The 35hp machine might be slower but it will go where the big machine won't.

There's a reason stump grinders come in so many different shapes and sizes - no one grinder fits all applications.

AP

I would run that grinder across the green on the golf course that held masters. I really doesnt do much damage. The third job i did with it, the customer removed a section of his fence because i was more then half the price of the other guys that gave him quotes. I made $400 and was only there about a hour.

Our rg90 goes in a 36 inch gate no problem, we almost never have dual wheels on. Never seen a place the old 252 could go that the rg90 cant go.

I say get a much bigger machine or stay with the old. Difference in productivity would not justify the large upgrade cost to just one size up.

Back