Upgrade to MS500i?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188388

Reaction score
I am using a Stihl MS261 (my first saw), with an 18 inch light 04 bar and .325 RS Pro chain.

Its great and has done all I asked of it. However, the storms of recent years have brought me some large trees to deal with and I think I need to get a bigger saw. I currently have three oaks down which are over three foot at the base and one beech that is almost three foot at the base. I know I can get through these with the 261, but I think its too much to ask of the saw.

Having looked at the Stihl range, I am considering the MS500 with the 25 inch bar.

Is this the right way to go or should I be looking at a different saw?

I am using a Stihl MS261 (my first saw), with an 18 inch light 04 bar and .325 RS Pro chain.

Its great and has done all I asked of it. However, the storms of recent years have brought me some large trees to deal with and I think I need to get a bigger saw. I currently have three oaks down which are over three foot at the base and one beech that is almost three foot at the base. I know I can get through these with the 261, but I think its too much to ask of the saw.

Having looked at the Stihl range, I am considering the MS500 with the 25 inch bar.

I’ve got one on order for the same reason. I’m going to put a 32” LW bar on mine.
I think you’ll be fine.

I know I can get through these with the 261, but I think its too much to ask of the saw.

I suggest, if you want a big saw just buy one.

But, I'd suggest not hanging the purchase on the 261's ability to deal with occasional big wood. That 261 is a pro saw...it was designed to be deep in wood for extended periods. Run it all day with a sharp 18" chain, not leaning on it excessively, and it is not too much to ask.

Nearly all my personal use is well-served by a 026...but, I have bigger saws. I admit it's because I find them...

Roy

Thanks for your replies guys, I just needed a little persuasion.

I think the 661 is more than I need. I don’t fancy wielding a 30 inch bar and I’d prefer to avoid the additional weight.

So for me the choice is either the 462 or the 500i. Pricewise there is little difference, the 462 with 25 inch rollomatic E bar is £934 and the 500i with 25 inch light bar is £1,055. I’m not worried about the new technology, I have other Stihl equipment and I trust the brand.

I guess I’ll go with the 500i, I’m sure it will handle the bigger stuff for me and I doubt I’ll be disappointed.

Cheers

Cool.

Please report back after you've had it in wood. Maybe with some pics of those trees...

Roy
Will do Roy
I'll get back to France the end of Feb and will start working on those big trees.

I noted your comment re the ability of the 261 and I agree with you its a powerful little saw. I decided on a larger saw as I cut boards and large bowl blanks for my workshop and the ability to have a longer bar will make that job easier.

Conrad

Thanks for your replies guys, I just needed a little persuasion.

I think the 661 is more than I need. I don’t fancy wielding a 30 inch bar and I’d prefer to avoid the additional weight.

So for me the choice is either the 462 or the 500i. Pricewise there is little difference, the 462 with 25 inch rollomatic E bar is £934 and the 500i with 25 inch light bar is £1,055. I’m not worried about the new technology, I have other Stihl equipment and I trust the brand.

I guess I’ll go with the 500i, I’m sure it will handle the bigger stuff for me and I doubt I’ll be disappointed.

Cheers
I just picked up my 500i yesterday after owning a 462. Love the 462, but I wanted a 500i all along but supply chain issues kept one out of my hands at the time. No bad decision between the two saws in my opinion.

Pictures when you do get it. Everyone loves a shiny new saw. Mine are coming in the next day or two.

IMO a 500i. We have 261 362 461 500 and 661. If we only had two, without question, it would be 261 and 500. It runs a 25 or 28 lite and sometimes a 32 if warranted…. After Hurricane Ian we ran the new 500 w the 32 lite for sev days in the large live oak blowdown. Hope this helps.

I've been trying to find a 500i near me but no luck. I even gave my phone number to one of the local Stihl dealers to call me when they get one in.

A coworker's husband works for a family run tree company and he said they got one in MD and it was run over by skidder a day after.
Maybe they'll give you flat rate shipping.

500i is a quiver killer saw. Run two day in day out commercially with 25” lights on them. Deal with very dense Australian hardwoods, so 25” is a good size & balance, but have run up to 30”.

Great across the range, can be a little aggressive in smaller wood, but really the go to saw if just taking one saw to do everything else but climbing.

Latest posts

Back