upset with Stihl dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the way the dealers are my dealer takes a week to get to a saw and WE DON'T even have a hurricane. They are swampped and undermaned at least they said they would do the work. I think you are expecting a little much considering what happened after Isebel hit us mt husky dealer said the only way you can find a chain for a saw around here is to buy a new saw. They were sold out of bars chains and oil. I think you should be happy for what you get. Just my opinion

I run huskys. And I agree with xman go to husky they better anyway. Stihl are for in the tree and huskys dominate the ground. But my husky dealer always has saws I want in stock and ready to sell to me anytime. They will fix our saws on the spot if needed to. And youve been a loyal customer for 30 years and Ive been one for 4 years. And they treat me great!!!

dealer

Well, You can disagree with my statements, no problem.
But, I have not lived through a hurricane. Those pics on TV make me glad I didn't. Just how bad was the damage there? Did this dealer lose anything?

Just hate to think we are bashing some guy that may have experienced wind and water of that magnitude.

Sorry, won't participate in this thread any more.

A few years back, we had a major ice storm, which sht down the top third of the
state. The good thing abot the storm, is that the temps didn't drop too bad after,
but most of the county was out of power, for several counties around, and most roads
were blocked.
We had an ice storm 10 years earlier, but that one was immediately followed by sub-zero temps, so that made this one not as dire, but with the total damage, in many cases, thjs one was worse.
I left early for work, knowing that I would be busy, halfway there, an hour or so later
I knew I was in for a hell day.
When I finally arrived, the parking lot was full, and I was the only local saw/small engine guy around in Feb.
After the initial onslaught of sob stories, problems, etc. I initiated a policy.
I would put heaters and generators on a higher priority above saws, since keeping kids
and grandmas warm is more important than cleaning up that unsightly clutter from
downed trees.
The distinction became real clear the next weekend of hell week, when I came into
the hell of that hardware store, and I took a call, with 30 customers glaring at me wanting service, a local dentist demanding that I come out in the parking lot to
fix his generator, he was calling from his cell.
I told him that he could leave it, and Iif I got a chance, I could look and see if it
was a simple fix, and I could knock it out.
He said, "But you don't understand, I just bought the generator at Lowes yesterday, and it quit last night, and I have not had power since!" "I have food in the freezer!"
Needless to say, I kind of snapped and screamed at him, "My power has been out for 6 days, and food in my freezer!", and slammed the phone down. Needless to
say the crowd in front of me were quite a bit more polite after that, considering
that I am a burly, fat, redneck, and their only hope of getting their stuff fixed.
But I stuck to that protocol, generators/heaters first, chainsaws second, especially when kids and grandmas were mentioned.
Customers proclaiming that they were doctors, lawyers, bankers, just pissed me off, and they were bumped down on general principles.
After all, life is not fair, and life sucks, but if you slip on of the mechanics a 20 spot, you will get taken care of much sooner. Just do not tell the owner that.

These guys live in the area as well, and they have similar obstacles, and they are just trying to get by.

Grease you local small engine mechanic, it will pay off

Also, working on saws you have to deal with the sweet talking morons that smooze you to just give them a quick sharpening. The if that get you to agree to that ,
they will add, and put a plug in it and make sure it runs. When they come back,
the saw is sharpened, and has a new plug, they will get ugly and say that it ran
when they brought it in.
So one has to quickly implement a start it for me before you leave policy.

In an emergency situation, it brings out the worst in people, just a knee jerk survival thing I guess. No, on reflection, these jerks are ???????s the rest of the time too.

Sorry, I am rambling, and digressing.

I'm with Jeff and Fish...

No hurricanes up here, but for the past couple of weeks we've been swamped, and it will continue like this for another 60 days or so. There's three of us selling and servicing non-stop. "ordinary" service is now 7-10 days, instead of 2-4. Major rebuilds - fell out of a tree, needs new crank bearings (sure, is that all?) will have to wait until it slows down. Sales take an extraordinary amount of time, and that's not the money maker you may image. Rarely do customers walk in and say "give me an xxx". They need to kick the tires, be convinced, explore their options... I'mn getting real good at rebuilding carbs while explaining the product line or the right bar a chain for the MS210 (the one that comes with the saw!).

The majority of sales are in the lower price range, and when you look at the entire sales cycle, you don't come close to making shop rate until you sell units above $375. It take just as long, or longer, to sell an MS170 for $149 as it does to sell an MS460. I can't fill 1/2 tank of gas in my small car for the "profit" made on an MS170.

Right now Stihl can't fill orders for the MS180 and MS210. That's directly due to the hurricance, so you can figure out real quick what the majority of sales are. Maybe Husky does o.k. by selling units in boxes though home stores or the Internet, but Stihl dealers have to setup the saw, start it, demonstrate, fill out the warranty paperwork etc...

Give the dealers a break (most of them are trying to please everyone), and please, come and stand on my side of the counter for a week this time of year. And should you be standing in line, be nice... I get paid the same whether I like you or not.

Husky288XP said:
I run huskys. And I agree with xman go to husky they better anyway. Stihl are for in the tree and huskys dominate the ground. But my husky dealer always has saws I want in stock and ready to sell to me anytime. They will fix our saws on the spot if needed to. And youve been a loyal customer for 30 years and Ive been one for 4 years. And they treat me great!!!

Wonder why the Husky dealer isn't busy? :) just kidding... maybe

Fish, I like your way, cept for one thing. I never accept tips(bribes) because they will one day expect a favor and I never want to be in a position of feeling like I owe them one. The owners of the shop I work for has a "Rush" policy I absolutly hate. For a 30 dollar fee they will put anyones work ahead of the rest. To me that is blatant favoritism for rich folks who can afford to buy priority. I call it a whore charge because they're selling their soul just like a whore. I can't do anything about that but can refuse personal tips.

Could be, Fish does a lot of that. Just that the rest of his post was so dead on I wasn't thinking he may slip one in.

Knot Whole said:
NW, I think (at least hope) that Fish was doing some leg-pulling with the tip recomendation. And that rush/whore charge does suck.

It does....unless it's so they can do the saw on Overtime (and pay the Tech 1.5X...). Sure... This time of year we ask everyone when they really need the saw. It balances out, and we do squeeze in a few priority jobs, but not for more $$$. my "bribes" usually come after I do something for free at the counter (my boss hates it). Contact spring/control shaft out of an 029 is a 5 second job to pop back in. Did one a few weeks ago, the guy tried to give me $5, I wouldn't take it, so he came back in a few minutes later with two decent bottles of wine....

Actually not doing any leg pulling. I drive an old truck, the owner drives a corvette.
Doctor/lawyer/customer drives a bmw or Mercedes. I have a chitty job, no benefits,
and not really in a good mood about it. Yes, I will whore myself out to better my
family's financial situation, also cheat,lie , steal.
It is funny, when an employee cheats, lies, fibs,bends the rules, takes a bribe,
etc., it is considered a crime, but if the store owner does it, it is just business.

Yes, I am a whore... If I was good looking, I could really make some cash a
whole lot easier.

I am not making this post in anger, or anything, just giving you my take on it.

Fish said:
Doctor/lawyer/customer drives a bmw or Mercedes. I have a chitty job, no benefits,
and not really in a good mood about it.
The wonderful thing about a capitalistic society is that you're absolutely free to find a better job. Cheating lying and stealing, especially on petty crap, is a mark of a true idiot.

Yes, I am one of those too, I guess. I did not really confess that I am a thief, but I sure have had to lie a lot, mostly to cover the store owners ass.
"Well, I am sorry, your part is on backorder", translation= The sorry bastard that owns this place has not paid his bill to the Stihl distributor.

Also, the owner loves it when his store gets burglarized, so he can go hog wild
on reporting the missing/stolen property, and really ream the insurance company.

Actually, with one of the guys I worked for, the heist involved the use of his forklift
in cleaning out his inventory of ZTRs, and a whole lot of other strange coincidences,
but the insurance paid it.
Yes, slip me a $5 bill, and I will take care of you.

Hey Fish, I feel for ya. I know that you`re not truly as bad as Rex and yourself are portraying, you keep coming to places like this and doling out good advice to so many who are search function challenged. Hang in there, a better opportunity for a skilled technician like yourself will become available.

I don`t think spacemule means to be as blunt and abrasive as he sometimes is, he is still living in somewhat of a juvenile ignorance and indifference to the realities that many people are forced to face. Unfortunately it`s almost inevitable that he will someday be able to understand the other side of the equation. I wouldn`t wish hardship or severe compromise of personal standards on anyone, but it is often the reality of being employed.

Russ

X Man said:
We are in the Gulf Coast region, that was hit by Hurricane Rita. There is so many trees down, it is unreal. County officials estimate that up to 80% of all trees in our county, are down or damaged.

Now, the aggitation. All the Stihl chainsaw dealers are snowed with people trying to buy new saws. There are literally mountains of empty boxes outside of the shops. Now, get this, the dealers are so busy selling new saws, they cannot find time to do any service work on saws that they sold us. I have been a Stihl saw owner for 30 years, and a loyal customer of my saw shop. All of that is out the window, as they bend over backwards to sell a small saw to someone that just wants a saw to clear their yard. My point is this, I ned my saw just as much as the others. And if I am going to have to do all my service work, I might as well buy a Husky off the internet, at a cheaper price.

I'm sorry XMAN but I dont see it the way you do. Thats like getting mad at Safeway or whatever grocery stores you have in your area for not being able to stock water because the highways are closed (trees blocking roads ect ect). IF in an Emergency situation you cant expect things to be status quoe. I mean if 80% of your trees in your nieghborhood are damaged or down then you need that crap all cleared up. If your local Chainsaw dealer (whoever they are be it Stihl or Husky ect ect.) There is no way on Gods Green Earth you should expect normal service. Its impossible! I know you are pretty pissed off but you cant just think of your self right now. Thats the way I see it. AND before you tear me a new a$$hole we have donated tons of supplies for the relief effort (Our church). Now its just cash since even these emergency relief companies / orginizations dont have the man power to process all these goods (sound familiar?) In the future you should have all of your gear well maintained and serviced before anything like this heads your way again. I know I'm sounding like a cold hearted jerk but what I am saying is the truth. The mark of a wise man is knowing the truth when he hears it. God Bless and I hope you are able to get your STIHL serviced soon.

jokers said:
Hey Fish, I feel for ya. I know that you`re not truly as bad as Rex and yourself are portraying, you keep coming to places like this and doling out good advice to so many who are search function challenged. Hang in there, a better opportunity for a skilled technician like yourself will become available.

I don`t think spacemule means to be as blunt and abrasive as he sometimes is, he is still living in somewhat of a juvenile ignorance and indifference to the realities that many people are forced to face. Unfortunately it`s almost inevitable that he will someday be able to understand the other side of the equation. I wouldn`t wish hardship or severe compromise of personal standards on anyone, but it is often the reality of being employed.

Russ
I agree that Fish probably isn't as bad as I sounded. For one thing, he woudln't be coming here looking for justification if he didn't have a conscience.

As far as my being juvenile; well, that's obviously a call I can't make. But, I've been in a few compromising situations, and I'll be the first to tell you I've done things I'm not proud of. I've never stolen though. I've not lied. I think of it this way, Russ. What is your integrity worth? A few $5 bills? Any man should value his integrity much more than this. Seems like a cheap sell-out to me.

Just being honest, truly honest. I lie daily, I steal daily, I commit adultery daily,
ok, hourly, in my heart.
If everyone here was honest, they would admit to the same thing. But they are not.

I spent the first part of my adult life studying for the ministry, which made me totally worthless at the rest of life. I had a serious change of mind/philosophy,
when my college Greek schooling let me know that all of our thinking means squat.

The daily hypocrysy[sp] still exists, but the delusional thinks their soul/being is intact

I embrace my whoredom.
If life was fair, we would all be dead, and the North American natives would be
existing within their own areas, or even more fair, no human life at all. It is a matter
of perspective. Subjective to who is calling who an idiot, or criminal,
I am not running for Pope here, just letting you all know how I feel.

Latest posts

Back