Urgent Stihl Saw Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote 361 also. Man you just can't beat em for general firewod cutting. I can drop a 25" tree with mine as quick as I can pick up my 660. It's so light, it makes the work easy.

Imagine a saw lighter than your 290 with a whole lot more power. Now, I have started taking a liking to the 362 also, but for the prices you mentioned, the 361 is the best bet I'd say.

I doubt anyone in the US has even ran a 381. I'd love to be able to get ahold of a real one just to have it. If you want to buy it, and get it cheap. I'll trade you my 361 for it. It's barely even got a stratch on it. :)

I vote 361 also...

I doubt anyone in the US has even ran a 381. I'd love to be able to get ahold of a real one just to have it. If you want to buy it, and get it cheap. I'll trade you my 361 for it. It's barely even got a stratch on it. :)

You silly rabbit. I wouldn't trade a nearly new MS361 for a perfect condition 038mag. ;) Having said that, I would rather use an 038 mag for cutting. I just would rather pay used prices for it ;)

Antonio has seen what I can do with an MS361, too.

You silly rabbit. I wouldn't trade a nearly new MS361 for a perfect condition 038mag. ;) Having said that, I would rather use an 038 mag for cutting. I just would rather pay used prices for it ;)

Antonio has seen what I can do with an MS361, too.

Lol, me neither. But a new MS381, thats another story. I think it's just the fact that they can't be bought here. And a brand new, upgraded antivibe 038 sounds like a good saw to me. :msp_smile:

Matter of fact, I'm traveling up the road to buy an 038 magnum tomorrow morning. I'll have pics of it tomorrow. It's as close to mint as I've ever seen one. I just like those saws for some reason.

I also am buying a nice 051 too. :) It's in very good shape as I can tell from pics. The CAD is starting to take over lately. I've been hunting old Macs, Poulans, and big Homelites lately too.

I can see the AV argument, and the fact it is new, and the collectable factor. You gonna tell us what the guy wants for that 038? ;) I think they are a bit underrated, especially since I see them so cheap here and there.
But nice condition ones are usually well over $300.

If you want to be shocked, go to Stihl.co.uk and look at the MSRP in British Pounds, and then consider that, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to mention it includes the 21% VAT.
MS 362 - Catalogue - STIHL - MS362 Chain saw - Chainsaw

I sort of understand CAD, even though I basically use a saw for a living. I mean, for some odd reason, I think a Partner P500 is a nice-lookin saw, and would prolly pick one up for the looks alone if I found one cheap.

Lol, me neither. But a new MS381, thats another story. I think it's just the fact that they can't be bought here. And a brand new, upgraded antivibe 038 sounds like a good saw to me. :msp_smile:

Matter of fact, I'm traveling up the road to buy an 038 magnum tomorrow morning. I'll have pics of it tomorrow. It's as close to mint as I've ever seen one. I just like those saws for some reason.

Last edited:
I have a new MS380 I bought a few years ago. I'm pretty certain there is no AV improvements from the first 038 AV through the MS381. Features mine has on it that the last 038 Mag II didn't are: side tensioner, see through tank, elastostart, flippy caps, recontoured plastic, etc. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the decomp, but the MS381 does.

Last edited:
I vote 361 also. Man you just can't beat em for general firewod cutting. I can drop a 25" tree with mine as quick as I can pick up my 660. It's so light, it makes the work easy.

Imagine a saw lighter than your 290 with a whole lot more power. Now, I have started taking a liking to the 362 also, but for the prices you mentioned, the 361 is the best bet I'd say.

:agree2:

Then the are all the fake Chinese 038/380/381s on the international market - buyer beware!

"An MS361 is a fairly light saw for occasional use". wyk

It may be light for the needs in a logging operation in the PNW, but here in the midwest it comes close to being the perfect firewood saw for the commercial cutter.

I agree completely. MS361 for your needs will be fine. And save you money on your purchase price, and fuel consumption. They get great mileage. The 362 isn't worth the extra pound or expense IMO.

surely fuel usage is a moot point?

more fuel = faster cut = less fuel used?

Tempted by a 361 or hold out for an 044/MS440

of the saws you listed, I'd go with either the 361 or 362. I've seen a few fake looking 381s on ebay uk recentely, not worth the risk IMO

If you can stretch to a 70cc saw, this may work out better for you depending on what size wood you're cutting. I know on ebay uk at the moment there's a few 044/440/046/460s for your sort of budget (£300-£500)

I just looked on ebay, I can vouch for the seller of this saw I have brought stuff off him in the past, and just brought a 660 from him last week! Haven't put it in wood yet, but it came in good condition and started on the first pull.

Stihl 044 25" pro chainsaw excellent little used cond on eBay (end time 13-Apr-11 21:00:01 BST)

cheers,
Joe

it is a bit high, it's probably personal preference - this seller has been established for at least 2 years that I know of, sells a load of garden/forestry machinery and I trust him to provide decent equipment, and back it up if there is a problem. Not an official "warranty" but pretty much as close as you can get buying on ebay. I'd rather pay a bit more to know I won't have any problems with the machine, or if I do I have some form of comeback. Probably just me though!

If you're cutting stuff up to about 20", I'd go for a 60cc saw such as the ones you mentioned. If you're going above 20" much, I'd look for a 70cc machine. If you can really strech to it, check out the Makita 7900s, they tend to be somewhere between £550-600 new and have a good rep on here - one of these should deal with pretty much anything you can throw at it, until you get into 32"+ territory.

yes it will work just fine, with a bar that short put you a 8 pin rim sprocket on the saw and it will flat out rip

can you elaborate more on this 8 pin thing?

I just need to know if I can simply swap the bar over with no mods whatsoever?

It will fit fine. An 8-tooth is the sprocket size. The sprocket is the part of the saw that the chains drivers, shark-fin looking things on the bottom of the chain, ride in. That is a short bar for that saw and an 8-tooth sprocket will give the saw more chain speed.

part number for said 8 tooth?

easy to fit?

will this ms361 be a better all round saw than my 039?

part number for said 8 tooth?

easy to fit?

will this ms361 be a better all round saw than my 039?

Part #: 0000 642 1216 (3/8" 8t Rim Sprocket)

Yes it is easy to change...you just to remove an E-clip and a washer to swap it. (You need to have your bar, chain, and clutch cover off also).

Yes the MS361 will be a better all around saw than your 039.

Latest posts

Back