Urgent Stihl Saw Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the part #, it's a common part at any good dealer. Yes the 361 will be a much better all around saw imho. Mine has prolly cut 15 years of worth of wood compared to what the normal home owner cuts with zero issues. It's both lighter and has more zip than the 390, a member on here says the European saws are even stronger than the American counterpart due to different emission regs.

surely fuel usage is a moot point?

more fuel = faster cut = less fuel used?

Tempted by a 361 or hold out for an 044/MS440

It isn't the amount of fuel used to me, it is the time spent having to stop to re-fuel more often. Especially if you have worked your way away from your re-fueling point. Simply more production. That's all.

Congrats on your new saw. Time too start cutting.:chainsawguy:

Well I went and bought the MS361C

Can anyone advise if the 15" bar and chain I have on my 039 will fit?

Yep, it'll fit. As long as you match the bar to the chain and sprocket. I'd say your 290 ran 3/8th bar/chain, and the 361 probably has a 3/8th sprocket so you should be fine.

Just make sure everything has 3/8 on it or you'll be in trouble.

Remember, it will run up to a 25" bar pretty good, and will run a 20" very well.

You made a good choice IMO. I think it will impress you.

Part #: 0000 642 1216 (3/8" 8t Rim Sprocket)

Yes it is easy to change...you just to remove an E-clip and a washer to swap it. (You need to have your bar, chain, and clutch cover off also).

Yes the MS361 will be a better all around saw than your 039.

will that part number come with everything I need?

I run 3/8" 8-pin on my 361 most of the time on a 15" bar with 36RSC chain, and the 8-pin is clearly preferable to the 7-pin with that bar&chain. :clap::clap:

Congrats on the 361c, you made a good choice.
I'ts a great saw, and will serve you well for a long time.
I've always been glad I had the sense to get one.

As I don't have access to a welder but do have access to a drill and a dremel, what is the best method for muffler modding?

Can I just drill say 5 x 6mm diameter holes along the side?

As I don't have access to a welder but do have access to a drill and a dremel, what is the best method for muffler modding?

Can I just drill say 5 x 6mm diameter holes along the side?

would just use the Dremel and cut one hole. I think one hole flows better than multiple small holes. Somewhere between 5/8th and 3/4th should be just right. Heres a link to a 361 muff mod.

Click here

I have done my muffler mod, removed the limiters, fitted the 8T sprocket, 15" bar and RSC chain, new fuel filter.

Silly question but how do you start these? It has a decompression valve, never had one of these before?
EDIT: Found here: http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default....gsafely/onlineratgeber/dasstarten/default.htm

Just to double check, what is the starting mix for this muffler mod? 1/2 turn each extra than factory?

Last edited:
Back