USDA Approved Firewood Vendors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good old USDA. How much does it cost to be certified to sell firewood???

I'm sorry sir, that wood burns tooo hot and toooo clean-- you are going to have to buy electric or gas,, we don't want you savin any money burning your own renwable resource. Now here is your $10,000 fine and I am goin have to take your saw and your truck, have a nice day!!!!:bang:

Good old USDA. How much does it cost to be certified to sell firewood???

I'm sorry sir, that wood burns tooo hot and toooo clean-- you are going to have to buy electric or gas,, we don't want you savin any money burning your own renwable resource. Now here is your $10,000 fine and I am goin have to take your saw and your truck, have a nice day!!!!:bang:

Oh, dont worry, that is coming any day now. Our county is already considering taxing firewood vendors by requiring a permit in addition to the business license. If you cut just for yourself, the rumor is the permit to just supply your own is going to be fifty bucks a year. Good luck in getting me to fork over the bucks.

"No sir, this aint firewood.Its debris from when a tree fell down and I am taking it to the county dump.Why is it split up like that?Well,I couldnt lift the big pieces into my truck so I split em up first." will be my story....

Don't hold me to it, but I think I read somewhere that a USDA certification allowed you to sell firewood across state lines or maybe it allowed you to sell firewood from areas that were infested with EAB. I think you had to certify that your wood was kiln dried to a temperature that killed all EAB. If you live in an EAB infested area that might make you want to be certified if you do it for a living.

Too little too late JMO on the EAB. All the ash trees around here are done. Very difficult to regulate with all the small transport of wood and most people have difficulty identifing different tree species, especially after leaf drop and cutting and splitting.

I see ash logs for sale at gas stations for camp wood once in a while, and wonder, gee, how they goin regulate that??? Gas station owner buys the stuff from a local on the cheap and does not even know it is ash---looks a lot like elm:bang:

Don't hold me to it, but I think I read somewhere that a USDA certification allowed you to sell firewood across state lines or maybe it allowed you to sell firewood from areas that were infested with EAB. I think you had to certify that your wood was kiln dried to a temperature that killed all EAB. If you live in an EAB infested area that might make you want to be certified if you do it for a living.

State and local exceptions abound.

USDA Cert

More to gnaw on

$500,000 fine for moving the wrong wood!!!! Dang, selling my saws and buying a pick axe and shovel- what are regs on self mining coal???

Just seems impossible to control because many of the firewood cutters do not know what kind of wood they have cut.

What does a tree service do with a bad ash tree for removal??? They don't burn it where it grew, do they?

Those are some serious regulations and fines:msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy:

$500,000 fine for moving the wrong wood!!!! Dang, selling my saws and buying a pick axe and shovel- what are regs on self mining coal???

Just seems impossible to control because many of the firewood cutters do not know what kind of wood they have cut.

What does a tree service do with a bad ash tree for removal??? They don't burn it where it grew, do they?

Those are some serious regulations and fines:msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy:

At one point early one, chipping and griding to a specified maximum size chip thickness would supposedly kill the EAB larva. Seem to recall recently some chips were found to contain larva that were intact. But this was disputed...
Not sure where the real truth lies, so to speak. ;)

K-ripes...this thread took off in the wrong direction....:msp_thumbdn:

USDA approved firewood is kiln dried and approved for transport across state lines, and in my case firewood that is transported more than 50 miles. The state of MN has DNR approved firewood, that is legal to sell in State Forests, and a market that I am not too excited about but it does produce sales if you are DNR approved. USDA trumps DNR. MN DNR is way under staffed and the process to get DNR certified is a logistical nightmare. You have to submit an application for wood harvested out of each section, township, county, that you harvest from. New cut site, new application. And the wood has to be physically seperated. Nuts. Oh, and while they do have all these rules, they admit to not having personnel enough to inspect and enforce the program.

So....The USDA program for wood is no different than USDA beef, pork, poultry, etc. It is a program, a process, a pain in the butt, but if you want to be anythingmore than a CL bandit, you better learn to play along.

Anybody here part of the program...?

Last year I checked into getting my kiln USDA certified. I was told they wouldn't come out and certify it until I was in a quarantine area or had to drive my wood through a quarantine area. I didn't push it because I was to busy I'm going to try and pus for it this year. I want to be ahead of the game. I am the only one in the area so I want to be ready when it hits.

Scott

Last edited:
MNGuns:

My appologies for my posts that did not address your original question.

This USDA pdf list is the latest out there of certified firewood producers and distributors across the country for EAB compliance. Note that EAB certification maybe upsurped by Gypsy Moth Quarantines in areas identified by the USDA (map).

Hope this helps answer some part of your question.

I just got done delivering a load of firewood tonight to an area named Ash grove... I know now why they call it that... Driving in I saw more Ash trees than I ever have... They were everywhere... In yards, along roads, and in the fields. I was thinking to myself... What if there was an EAB breakout in this area? Crap!!! But, on the other hand, I saw the overbearing government regulation... Hmmm...

Last edited:
....USDA Approved Firewood Vendors ...............
I've been state and federal approved firewood dealer in the NH,MA and Maine for a little over 20 years. The late 90's was the gypsy moth era and today, its the EAB era. It a lot to learn and requires addition equipment to comply with the current regulations and compliance agreements. In the long run, its well worth it. Thanks for listening.

In the long run USSRDA certification will do absolutely nothing to stop the spread of any pest or disease, but the bureaucrats will have a job and more power, the elected officials will still get bribed by the bureaucrats, and everyone will be poorer and the standard of living reduced.

It is a scam. Buying special favors so you can be a little more equal than everyone else.

Oh, dont worry, that is coming any day now. Our county is already considering taxing firewood vendors by requiring a permit in addition to the business license. If you cut just for yourself, the rumor is the permit to just supply your own is going to be fifty bucks a year. Good luck in getting me to fork over the bucks.

"No sir, this aint firewood.Its debris from when a tree fell down and I am taking it to the county dump.Why is it split up like that?Well,I couldnt lift the big pieces into my truck so I split em up first." will be my story....

They talked about it here too.

It mostly stemmed from gravel (millions and millions of yards of gravel here. 3 huge pits within walking distance, one pulls out about 2 million yards a year)

Well they also tossed in timber and anything grown. Being this area is the main food supplier of the state that didn't go over well at all. Pretty sure a few farmers would have done kill dozer if it had gone through.

No state lines to cross here haha!

In texas there are currently no kiln dried, heat treated or moving restrictions but that will change some day as almost every state is moving to having restrictions... from not moving firewood more than a certain distance (25-50 miles seems the norm) unless it is heat treated. Heat treated and Kiln dried are not the same thing. Kiln dried simply means that it was put in a kiln (mostly to reduce water content) while Heat treated is a USDA term and has specific core temperatures and time in a kiln to achieve a "heat treated status" and this is done so that all invasive species and many tree diseases are done away with.....So think "all Natural" vs Organic... All natural means nothing while Organic has multiple legal requirements. Sooner or later every state will tighten the transport radius or mandate Kiln dried. We are building a kiln now to differentiate ourselves and will start out saying the wood is "kiln dried" until we get our temps and gauging systems dialed in to go for the USDA "heat treated" label. Since National and State parks are leading the charge to combat invasive species they are the first to restrict.....Right now the National Parks require firewood to be either gathered on site or purchased on site or USDA (I believe). We sell firewood only in State parks so it is in our best interest to get out ahead of the changes.

Latest posts

Back