Used 026 Purchase - What to look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been lurking around the boards for some time now. Lots of good info and now I need your help on a potential purchase. I came across a used 026 for $125on craigslist and am interested in buying it. I've contacted the owner to schedule a time to meet and check out the saw. The owner says the saw runs good.

The extent of my saw knowledge is not much more than operating and routine maintenance needed. I don't have a compression tester or vacuum tester to use. Given that, what should I look for? Is it pretty easy to pull the muffler cover to look at the piston?

Thanks,
Tim

Yep, you can pull the muff cover and check for deep scratches or any sighs of overheating. Run it in some wood and see how it cuts, if she cuts great, buy it or send me the contact info.:D

026s and 260s are awesome saws, the best 50cc made imo.

What are the signs of overheating? Would that be discoloration of the piston?
Thanks,
Tim

If a saw has been run lean you will normally find scoring and possibly aluminum transfer on the exhaust side of the piston & cylinder. This can be due to an improper carb adjustment or through an air leak. If the saw has had straight gasoline run through it (no 2-cycle mix) then the whole piston & cylinder will show scoring and aluminum transfer. Aluminum does not change colors like steel does when it is over heated. It usually just starts to melt.

Last edited:
Agree with everything posted already. Be sure to take a long shafted T-27 torx driver with you. If you don't have one then stop by a Sears and get one for $4.

Also, since you will have the correct tool with you and if the owner allows it you could take off the recoil start and check the flywheel and clutch side of the crank for loose bearings while you are at it.

Also, take off the air filter cover and make sure it hasn't been run with a damaged or missing filter.

Thanks for all the info so far.

I have the Torx tool that came with my 361. Is that the same size used on the 026?

Brian S, can you elaborate on "take off the recoil start?"
Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for all the info so far.

I have the Torx tool that came with my 361. Is that the same size used on the 026?

Brian S, can you elaborate on "take off the recoil start?"
Thanks,
Tim

Yeah, same tool.

Take off the 4 screws around the starter housing and expose the flywheel so you can feel for bad bearings. Seems like I've read many posts about how 024's and 026's often wear the flywheel side bearings and seals out before the clutch side parts.

check out the compression... if you don't have a gauge.

the informal test is to pull saw up with pull start handle.
compression should hold saw up and slowly go down.

Do you mean place the saw on the ground and lift it up with the starting handle and watch the saw go down slowly back to the ground?
Thanks,
Tim

Well, I bought it. Everything looked good. No scoring on the piston, compression seemed good using the informal test, oil pump works good, and air filter was intact. It fired right up and idles good and revs good, but once you put it on some wood and lean on it, it dies. It is like the fuel line is getting pinched or something. I was able to talk him down to $100.

So now to chase down the fuel issue. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Serial number is 257061XXX.

Thanks,
Tim

sounds like a jet is clogged... no big deal... get a can of berryman's chemtool... carefully take apart carb... don't loose any pieces... use tip to pin point carb cleaner... spray into every passage .. if fluid comes out other end, that confirms passage is clear. don't miss any and wear safety glasses.

look up madsen's web site for carb tuning instructions..

Well, I bought it. Everything looked good. No scoring on the piston, compression seemed good using the informal test, oil pump works good, and air filter was intact. It fired right up and idles good and revs good, but once you put it on some wood and lean on it, it dies. It is like the fuel line is getting pinched or something. I was able to talk him down to $100.

So now to chase down the fuel issue. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Serial number is 257061XXX.

Thanks,
Tim

Back