Used Chainsaw-What is Worth more Stihl or Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh and put a west coast faller in an east coast environment he thinks WTF is this? this is feller buncher work. put an east coast faller in a true west coast environment and he's already almost gotten himself killed 15 times by the second day ;) if a guy comes where i live from even an hour east he needs to be retrained. most guys don't know what rough dirty ground is.

buy a stihl and use it for 20 years......
buy a husky and replace it every 3-4 years ......
your choice

those are stihl firewood hack numbers. run them professionally and both brands last 400 hrs. they still run after 400hrs but are clapped right out. only difference is after 400hrs the husky cut twice the amount of wood :D

i said stihl firewood hacks LOL. your a stihl lover so your numbers don't mean anything. i've gave all brands a chance. i've got a 372 that's got well over 600hrs with nothin but a top end freshen up last year and i bought it in 03. it has had a few plastics, handle bars, and mufflers due to things falling on it though. a guy who cuts 5 cords a year has no rights to talk about how long a saw lasts cause he doesn't know. at 5 cords a year any saw should last a life time. i'll cut 5 cords in a weekend alot of times.

i am the mechanic for a tree cutting company , we have 14 or 15 saws (and not all pro saws ether) and the only thing ALLOWED at the job site is orange and white saws .......had 1 husky ( cant remember what it was , but it had a gray clutch cover) it lasted 2 weeks before the outbord clutch exploded ....... the only time i have to work on a stihl saw is when the kids straight gas them (they get the ms250-290)

that tree company's mechanic is lost then cause he shouldn't have touched it. should have brought it to the dealer. a clutch exploding in 2 weeks on any saw is a fluke. i've got saws here that are over 10 years old that still have to original clutch. even the dual shoe clutches on the homeowner saws outlast the saws most times.

ok pal .......lol

i'm not better then you man. just rubbing salt in the wounds at this point. i've been running saws of all types since 96 and have a little bit of everything in the shop at all times. i gave everything a chance and chose what i chose. anybody who says a stihl lasts longer then a husky is straight up ignorant. i own stihls and while i do like them, the husky's are just so much better. we can agree to disagree and still be friends right :)

the saw was giving to us (there is no husky dealership within 50 miles ) .why are you so angry ? i have been a mechanic since 1986 and i just dont work on these little pizz revers .i do everything mechanical -welder-fabricator-gas, diesel,heavy equeptment, tires,etc,etc and you say im lost and ignorant because i beleve (and have seen for myself as a mechanic) that stihl makes a great saw)...... i saw "I have a potty mouth" pup (now i stooped to your level with name calling ....)

I'd venture to guess the only folks who spend more time in pawn shops than I do around here are the actual employees, and its been that way for close to a decade. I see a lot of Husqvarna and Stihl saws on the shelves, but very few (less than 10%) are pro grade saws. Majority of Stihls are all MS250s or similar, and most of the Husqvarnas are Rancher series from Lowe's. Prices are always fairly close to one another, with neither necessarily being more than the other....really depends on the model. Every shop locally bases their prices on what they are selling for on Ebay, no exception. My favorite shop has probably 15+ saws for sale right now, at least five are Poulan or Craftsman, one Stihl MS290 and a MS192, and several Husqvarnas....a 450 and 455, a 45 and 55, one 242XP with broken chain brake handle, a couple I can't remember, and at least one Jonesered. All are priced decently, but the Stihls are no higher than the others (in relative terms).

My 242, 372, and 575XP's all came from local pawn shops. I paid around $250-275 for the 372, $200 for the 575, and right around $200 for the 242XP. Of course, these prices were due in large part to my relationship with the employees.

I've sold a few saws over the last month or so, including a Husqvarna 142, Stihl MS210, two MS250s, an 026, and an Echo CS-4400. Of all the people who bought saws, only the guy who bought the 026 really knew much about saws. The Stihls really didn't sell any quicker than the others, but, my prices were pretty good.

buy a stihl and use it for 20 years......
buy a husky and replace it every 3-4 years ......
your choice
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
the saw was giving to us (there is no husky dealership within 50 miles ) .why are you so angry ? i have been a mechanic since 1986 and i just dont work on these little pizz revers .i do everything mechanical -welder-fabricator-gas, diesel,heavy equeptment, tires,etc,etc and you say im lost and ignorant because i beleve (and have seen for myself as a mechanic) that stihl makes a great saw)...... i saw "I have a potty mouth" pup (now i stooped to your level with name calling ....)

Morons and Mythology can be found anywhere, and in any "camp".....

it's all about location. here there are 5 husky using loggers to every stihl using logger. the stihl guys only arguement is they never have to work on them. the husky guys got ease to work on, clean air filter less then half as much as the stihls, better bang for the money, better erogonomics/handling, better power to weight ratio, and they can do 3 cuts in the same time the stihl guys do one ;) i'd rather run a high maintenance hot rod then a bullet proof turd. :D husky's aren't even bad either. the bad rep came from stihl guys dissing. i know many 390's logging day in day out that have had nothing more the air filter cleanings but then i know of many 660's on there third set of AV mounts, busted tank handles, and even a few bith busted PTO crank ends. somehow stihls hold their value but that is because they are overpriced to begin with and all the stihl guys talking them up have the less knowledgable thinking they are worth the extra money. creamsicles suck and that's all there is to it :)
:clap::clap:

Stihl brings more money every time here.

I won't get into the Stihl vs. Husky argument, but I will say that I own both and am happy with them. They each have their drawbacks and advantages, but neither is better than the other to me.

Other than the annoying multi function switch on the stihl that most greenies screw up right off the hop, is the shouldered bar studs that the b&c keep falling off of and generally fubaring the clutch cover when one torques down the bar nuts.

What kind of oil do you guys like ?
Mostly I use discarded crankcase oil cause I can get it at the dump for free. But I have to get there early or the other wood ticks get it all. Often times other stuff may be mixed in such as anti freeze, water and whatnot, however I haven't had to change an oiler yet.

Back