used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It amazes me that people will pay $1000 for a saw but not $8 for proper bar oil. Or try to save $2 on mix oil.

I don't get it.

They are talking more about DRIAN OIL. Often there could be most anything in it?

How much bar oil does the average firewood cutter use in a year? One gallon? Maybe two? Trying to save money by using that amount of used oil is false economy. Buy the right stuff.

And don't use DRIAN OIL either...that stuff is nasty....

I know its a no no but has anyone figured out how to filter used synthetic motor oil to make it into bar oil??
how to filter it
through an old pair or jeans with a knot tied in the end of the leg or a pillow case
that how i filter my WMO to use neat in my diesel engine
that would give you about 75 micron

Other than being messy (nothing simple green and a pressure washer wont fix) it won't hurt a thing if it's good used oil. We run piles of it on our woods crew. Probably a gallon a day. Not saying if I was cutting a little firewood I would but do the math at a gallon a day.

read up on filtering used motor oil in backwoodsman magazine a few months ago.take cotton rope and put in the container of used oil.let it drop down into a clean container and let gravity do the rest.i'm assuming that cotton rope is what would be needed.
did it take the black carbon out?

If it's to dirty to run in your chainsaw the engine you took it out of is all kinda friged up.:msp_scared:

Used motor oil should be taken to your nearest Advance Auto Parts or Walmart store and recycled.

Good for you, as its free, and good for the environment too.

How much bar oil does the average firewood cutter use in a year? One gallon? Maybe two? Trying to save money by using that amount of used oil is false economy. Buy the right stuff.
A gallon.. more like a gallon a day for a hard worker that is

OK so I have 1000s of liters of waste engine oil and using it in my brand new 130 quid saw (made in China, we think any road)
The problem is its too thin and flies off the chain before its had chance to lubracate it
so I need something thicker like waste gear oil (but I dont have any)
what could I use to make my WMO thicker?

Frantz Oil Filters

This could probably be modded for that.

Mercy!
Now I finally know what to do with institutional grade/John Wayne brand TP.
..or maybe that roll of polyester TP that I didn't get a chance to switch in
at the last neighbors cookout.

had got to where my friends all watched for me totin' light bulbs,
I used to just *love* finding those auto-off ("micro-chip inside") ones
in the clearance bins.
left the last ones in the utility closet with other bulbs
when I sold my trailer.

Used motor oil should be taken to your nearest Advance Auto Parts or Walmart store and recycled.

Good for you, as its free, and good for the environment too.
mate I buy WMO from garages in 45 gallon drums for 20 quid
thats 10p a liter and that beats £5 a liter for bar oils or any oils relly
They do well and I do well out of it

A gallon.. more like a gallon a day for a hard worker that is

OK so I have 1000s of liters of waste engine oil and using it in my brand new 130 quid saw (made in China, we think any road)
The problem is its too thin and flies off the chain before its had chance to lubracate it
so I need something thicker like waste gear oil (but I dont have any)
what could I use to make my WMO thicker?

Fryolater fat/grease, but then you might attract skunks to the sawdust :msp_scared:

mate I buy WMO from garages in 45 gallon drums for 20 quid
thats 10p a liter and that beats £5 a liter for bar oils or any oils relly
They do well and I do well out of it

The environment doesn't do too well though.

WMO contains cancer causing carcinogens also, so it isn't all that healthy for you either...

Last edited:
Fryolater fat/grease, but then you might attract skunks to the sawdust :msp_scared:
I have a small drum of waste animal fats that is the waste of waste vegtable oil
its like lard at room temprature
I thought about melting it and mixing it with my WMO
but the guy who sold me my last drum of oil recons tht it will mix but when it cools the fats and the oils will separate
the guy centrefued the oil I got off him
He said he had a big pile of crappy thick oil out of his centrefugal filter that would of been thick enough for my chainsaw
but that would of included all the unwanted carbon and dirt right :msp_sad::dizzy::confused:

There's nothing worse than buying a used saw that has been running dirty filthy stinking sump oil :(
Find another way to save money.

how to filter it
through an old pair or jeans with a knot tied in the end of the leg or a pillow case
that how i filter my WMO to use neat in my diesel engine
that would give you about 75 micron

Jeans?!?! good idea tomorrow i will pour some in my pocket and and let it run down my leg my sock can be a 2nd filter and off the end of my boot into a jug.:dizzy:

Just a general bar oil question. I always use Logger's Pride bar oil for reasons that don't matter here. Recently I bought a used saw that had some kind of really good smelling bar oil in it. can anyone here tell me what that might be?

Just a general bar oil question. I always use Logger's Pride bar oil for reasons that don't matter here. Recently I bought a used saw that had some kind of really good smelling bar oil in it. can anyone here tell me what that might be?

Oil of Olay?

Latest posts

Back