used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a general bar oil question. I always use Logger's Pride bar oil for reasons that don't matter here. Recently I bought a used saw that had some kind of really good smelling bar oil in it. can anyone here tell me what that might be?

Ipone oils[ they of the strawberry smelling fuel mix oil ] used to produce a perfumey smelling bar oil, but then they moved on to biodegradeable bar oil, as some departments in France require it`s use for comercial logging, so have not seen it for sale recently, have no idea if other oil blenders put smellies in their products but it`s the only bar oil of the popular brands here that does smell different from others.

A gallon.. more like a gallon a day for a hard worker that is

OK so I have 1000s of liters of waste engine oil and using it in my brand new 130 quid saw (made in China, we think any road)
The problem is its too thin and flies off the chain before its had chance to lubracate it
so I need something thicker like waste gear oil (but I dont have any)
what could I use to make my WMO thicker?

Quit abusing your gearboxes and change some gear oils. Problem solved.

If new gear oil is too expensive to change, just drain out about half of what's in each box. You don't need that much in there anyhow.

Quit abusing your gearboxes and change some gear oils. Problem solved.

If new gear oil is too expensive to change, just drain out about half of what's in each box. You don't need that much in there anyhow.

And if too low just fill it up with the used engine oil. Nothing to worry about oil is oil no difference.......

The problem is its too thin and flies off the chain before its had chance to lubracate it
so........................

I really doubt you would buy the additive to deal with this it isn't a viscosity issue.

Around here the used motor oil is used in furnaces designed for them. No one sells it, your tactics might lead to a mandated paper trail to assure it is disposed of properly.

It amazes me that people will pay $1000 for a saw but not $8 for proper bar oil. Or try to save $2 on mix oil.

I don't get it.

At first blush, you are correct. However, if you apply the scientific stone scale ($7=12 Keystone Lights or 6 Molsens) you at least have to think twice about throwing money away on bar oil:msp_mellow::cheers:

OK went to lowes to find some cotton rope.No Cigar but found Natural Sisal Rope.may work may not.I'll find out as soon as i change the oil in my truck.:msp_thumbup:With what little used oil I've ran in my saws Oil out of a Gas engine isn't as Dirty as Used oil out of a Diesel.I have an 066 that only had Burned Rotella ran thru it.it was a freakin mess.Really I don't like used oil in saws and usually use it on the HayBine and Hay Roller.But if Strained and Filtered correctly with the right amount of Tactifier what would it hurt.Not only would I be saving money but I would be saving whales and fish and stuff.:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

the more i read on here the more im sure id like to see the usa. $7 a gallon of bar oil, $7 a dozen beers? jeepers!!!!

We are not sure if Keystone, Miller, Bush are truly beers.... but yes "beer" starts at 6$/12 pack......14.99/30 pack of Keystone to feed my lousy "mates" as they make way to my house for our evening bull session. If I served them good beer, they would never leave:givebeer:

I suspect that reprocessed motor oil wouldn't be much if any worse than using regular motor for chain and bar lubrication, both of which are probably environmental contaminents.

I think that the difference here is between 'reprocessed' and 'used'. There could be great differences in the way that commercial re-processors treat the oil. The better companies will have much better facilities than an average chainsaw user. This could be as different as essentially re-refining and blending the oil to virgin oil performance specs, compared to just straining it through cheese cloth to get the bigger particles out.

I would not have a problem with bar oil that uses reprocessed motor oil as its base, as long as it was done well, with high quality assurance controls.

Philbert

When I change the engine oil on the car and tractor it gets recycled where I buy the oil. Nasty stuff; it never would cross my mind to attempt to filter it. Bad, bad idea and a waste of time as far as I'm concerned, but it's a free country...

All the bar oil I have purchased in the last decade or so since I quit using filtered drain oil from my vehicles has all been what is called "Recycled oil". It has been clean looking and had the tackiness factor. Some smelled as though it came from a big industrial gearbox as it smelled like Hypoid oil. Never any problem. This oil has been purchased at TSC, Home depot, Walmart, and other box stores such as Menard's.

The environment doesn't do too well though.

WMO contains cancer causing carcinogens also, so it isn't all that healthy for you either...

how many people here do you think smoke cigarettes? I have heard rumor that cigarettes may also contain carcinogens.:hmm3grin2orange:

I honestly can see the economy in it, but it is not what I choose to do.

I've always been of the opinion that well used engine oil is best employed entertaining an unfriendly neighbor.
Soaked into a toilet rug/piss mat,,with a gentle-drifting breeze,tossed on a smoldering fire of damp wood splitter trash,,it can be quite effective in making a point,,

Disposing of used motor oil in an improper way in California is a felony. Running it through a saw as bar oil is the same as dumping on the ground or adding it to a burn pile. If you really can't afford bar oil at least go to Costco and buy a 5 quart bottle of Canola oil for $7.50.

I hope that we will all be running biodegradable bar oil at some point in the future. Nowadays I run mostly Stihl Bio Plus because the company I work for has several contracts in watersheds. Stihl BP is a good oil but it is expensive. When the bucket gets down to 2/3rds left I top of with Canola oil.

In recent years, the bar oil that I have liked the best was the "Spectrum" brand. It said it was recycled oil on the cans and was a very light color and contained the most "tacky" of any oil I've used. It came from the local surplus store.

When we were logging heavy, 2 skidders, 1 feller buncher, 2 trucks, 2 pickups, every oil change was close to 40 gals. At times we had 6 saws running daily using used oil for chain oil. I never had any issues with oilers, saws have a oil filter in the oil tank. Every once in awhile I'd rise out the oil tanks with gas to prevent having issues.

Disposing of used motor oil in an improper way in California is a felony. Running it through a saw as bar oil is the same as dumping on the ground or adding it to a burn pile. If you really can't afford bar oil at least go to Costco and buy a 5 quart bottle of Canola oil for $7.50.

I hope that we will all be running biodegradable bar oil at some point in the future. Nowadays I run mostly Stihl Bio Plus because the company I work for has several contracts in watersheds. Stihl BP is a good oil but it is expensive. When the bucket gets down to 2/3rds left I top of with Canola oil.

I haven't seen that veggie oil that cheap around here. If I do, I will try that. A gallon and a quart..that's cheaper than TSC bar oil on sale around here, which is what I usually run.

Same here. I am always looking for cheap veggie oil but it always seems to be more expensive than bar oil. :dizzy: I can only estimate the quality of the oil by that....

Latest posts

Back