used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sell those toilet roll filters in the JC Whitney catologs.

I use my used oil in my wood stove in the winter. That's the best way to start a fire is by using 3 quarts or so at a time and some old newspaper.

I wonder about the cost of STP and used oil verses just buying bar oil in the first place. I think you guys are right...it's a good way to wear out your chains and bar by using stuff like that.

You dump three quarts of used oil in your stove to light it....

I cleaned up an old poulan for a co worker a few years ago and all it had run through it was motor oil, You talk about a mess, it took forever to get it all out, the stuff was everywhere and didn't want to clean off. I told him don't bring it back if he used motor oil again. Spend you about 8 bucks at wally world and forget you ever made this thread.

I doubt you would damage anything doing a 50/50 mix of used motor oil with new clean bar and chain lube. The new oil should keep the old crud suspended or at least disperse it enough to prevent any issues.

I typically mix 50/50 biodegradable oil with the regular stuff since the bio is so spendy and thin, it works great and I feel a little better about what I'm leaving behind.

Jeans?!?! good idea tomorrow i will pour some in my pocket and and let it run down my leg my sock can be a 2nd filter and off the end of my boot into a jug.:dizzy:

i thought that's what flippy caps were for, lubbing your pants and socks and boots and stuff

You dump three quarts of used oil in your stove to light it....

I did not think this thread as bad as the used oil for fuel mix thread, but now I am not sure. Did I misunderstand and this is an oil burning stove....
I light all my fires with the Keystone Light boxes:dunno:

You guys are all doing it wrong. :buttkick:

Duh, used engine oil goes on the stone driveway in the summer to keep the dust down.

After all, I'm only puttin' it back where it came from. :msp_thumbsup:

General Electric did that with transformer oil, now half of our county is contaminated with ploy cholorinated biphenyls, besides the other offal they put in their waste oil.

Hope you or nearby do not drink well water.......

I'll be damned. People really use used motor oil in their saws as bar oil? I just bought a craftsman saw from an unscrupulus fellow that said it ran fine last year but the pull start broke and be didn't want to fix it. Long story short the piston and cylinder were wasted. I think he used just gas and no oil but when I dumped the "bar oil" it was black as night. You could tell it was old motor oil. So when I called him to let him know that I was calling him out as a filthy cheat in the mix I also told him he was stupid enough to put motor oil in the bar oil. Our exchange of words were short and sweet so I did not get a chance to hear his rebutal to this but I assumed he was the only joker cheap enough to pull his kind of stunt. Guess I was wrong. No offence to you cheap ass ppl but come on. Unless you are going threw gallons a day just buy the right stuff. I don't cut much so a gal will last me half a year but I can't see running a $400-$500 plus saw and sticking old oil in it.

usa/aus prices

We are not sure if Keystone, Miller, Bush are truly beers.... but yes "beer" starts at 6$/12 pack......14.99/30 pack of Keystone to feed my lousy "mates" as they make way to my house for our evening bull session. If I served them good beer, they would never leave:givebeer:

jeebus!!! $6 for 12 beers? $15 for 30??? its $15 for 6 here!!! and a carton of 24 is $45-70!!!!!

a gallon of bar oil cost me $38 recently.

i moved across the globe already, maybe its time to move again!!! not sure id get in tho sadly. i hear canada is nice??? (should prompt some comments!)

Back