Used my 044 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Reaction score
I have been using a Echo cs-346 and a 029 for a few months and wanted a bigger saw. I cut firewood for friends and just love cutting wood. After looking for a long time I found a almost new 044 on fleabay and had the seller end it for $475, powerhead only. I went to my dealer and bought a 25" rollematic es bar and a 33rsc-84 oilomatic chain.

I'm dropping some white oaks with my backhoe around my chruch that range from 40-80ft. After they are on the ground, they have to be cut up and hauled off. The stumps and bases are just too much for the heavy, underpowered 029. After sinking the entire 25" bar into the oak it cut sooo good. I was amazed at how easy and fast the 044 cut. I can't wait to see how it preforms witht the woods port:dizzy:

I envy those of you who run the bigger saws(660/395xp, 880/3120, etc). Maybe one day I can run one of those monsters.

I reccomend the 044 w/ a good chain to anyone that likes to cut fast and have fun.

I have a 440 that has been woodsported, they are an excellent saw for the size. They take to the mods nicely and really crank. :clap:

I have just about every size saw in existance...From my MS210...to the 088.Our work saws include two 385 husky's,two 395 huskys,a Stihl MS650 and two MS440's....I use the 440 over the bigger saws every day.I only break out the bigger saws when I absolutely have to because not only will the 440 do so much,it's lightweight and nimble.

i have about a dozen ms460s and tried a 440 after running the 460 i dont use the 440 much.the reason for so many saws is acouple for each truck.i also run huski 3120 with a pipe and nitro fuel mix

I use my 440 the most of all my saws. I love it. If it would be down I would be down. No troubles yet. I fell most of my trees with it. Nice for the landing too.:)

well, it looks more and more like I am gonna be leaning towards this model. thanks for all the valuable info.

The 044/MS440 will always be one of the greatest series of saws ever produced.

I also own an 044. I love that saw! I have had that thing buried in ash, hedge, locust, and oak and it never seems to loose power. I have a 25" bar on mine and that seems to be ideal for me. I have read several people on here bash the 044 and I don't see why. I can't see any saw in the same class being any better. Maybe compariable, but not better. Go on Husky fans, start stroking the 372xp.

The 044/440 is a nice saw, no question about it. I got one in recently with a fried cylinder. Had been leaned to the hilt. Man gave it to me. I rebuilt it and it runs sweet. Its a keeper!!

Yep, saw one on the tradin' post on this site about around noon. Checked to see if a couple of friends might want it. Came back now and was gonna buy it and it's disappeared. This is the second post this week that has totally disappeared on this site.

Mike

Love the 440.

I really like my 440. It seem to be the ideal size saw for me. I have been thinking about a 460, though.

later,
mitch

All sounds good!!! Am dying to try mine in some real wood. Tried it in some beetle kill pine but it is sort of punky and plugs up the bar in about 6 cookies and cuts off the bar oil. I did make the hole in the muffler a tad bigger to!!!

Back