Playin with 044 #2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most everyone on this site knows how much I like the 10mm 044s, and how nicely they responded to air filter and exhaust mods.

So I decided to play with 044 #2 to see if I could get even more out of it on my own.

I considered deleting the base gasket, but when I measured the squish, it was 33/1000, which does not leave enough room to delete the gasket.

I also wanted to replace the recoil cord with an Elastostart , and figured since I already had the recoil off, I'd pull the flywheel and play with the timing. (The Elastostart handle & rope was only $17 at the dealers, don't mess with the AM ones, they are junk, killed two of them in less than a day).

I basically followed the procedure that Randy detailed in his thread on building the 461, and took 20/1000 off the key. FYI the total key thickness is .78, so that was about 25% of the key thickness. Perhaps I should have taken a little less off, as the 044 crank is thinner than a 461's.

The first thing I noticed was the idle was much higher, and I had to re-tune it to stop the chain from spinning and bring it down. After that I was anxious to go out and do a little cutting with it.

It was in the mid 20s here today, and the wood was ice coated. I first did a regular cut of some Ash that almost used the full 24" bar, but even when I hooked up the dogs and leaned on it a little, it kept going strong. I then noodled a couple of pieces of Ash with the same result.

The saw felt strong, but I want to put some more time on it and do a side by side with 044 #1 before I finalize my assessment, but so far I'm impressed.

The only downside is the saw was hard to start when warm, even with the temps in the mid 20s. By hard to start, I mean hard to pull, the handle went through my fingers several times.

Maybe in the spring (Tax Season is closing in on me fast) I'll get a few extra keys and try one at 10/1000 and one at 15/1000 and time the cuts and see what difference they make.

Most everyone on this site knows how much I like the 10mm 044s, and how nicely they responded to air filter and exhaust mods.

So I decided to play with 044 #2 to see if I could get even more out of it on my own.

I considered deleting the base gasket, but when I measured the squish, it was 33/1000, which does not leave enough room to delete the gasket.

I also wanted to replace the recoil cord with an Elastostart , and figured since I already had the recoil off, I'd pull the flywheel and play with the timing. (The Elastostart handle & rope was only $17 at the dealers, don't mess with the AM ones, they are junk, killed two of them in less than a day).

I basically followed the procedure that Randy detailed in his thread on building the 461, and took 20/1000 off the key. FYI the total key thickness is .78, so that was about 25% of the key thickness. Perhaps I should have taken a little less off, as the 044 crank is thinner than a 461's.

The first thing I noticed was the idle was much higher, and I had to re-tune it to stop the chain from spinning and bring it down. After that I was anxious to go out and do a little cutting with it.

It was in the mid 20s here today, and the wood was ice coated. I first did a regular cut of some Ash that almost used the full 24" bar, but even when I hooked up the dogs and leaned on it a little, it kept going strong. I then noodled a couple of pieces of Ash with the same result.

The saw felt strong, but I want to put some more time on it and do a side by side with 044 #1 before I finalize my assessment, but so far I'm impressed.

The only downside is the saw was hard to start when warm, even with the temps in the mid 20s. By hard to start, I mean hard to pull, the handle went through my fingers several times.

Maybe in the spring (Tax Season is closing in on me fast) I'll get a few extra keys and try one at 10/1000 and one at 15/1000 and time the cuts and see what difference they make.

mike, i'm just replying with a little concern that we all might hear about this along with the HD2 and dual port in every single 044 thread in AS time from here on out. please don't let this happen :p

You might try measuring the squish without a gasket. If it's 0.033 with a gasket, you might be above 0.020 gasketless. You can also make your own thinner gasket. A nice way to keep track of timing advance is to use marks on the outside of the flywheel. Big husky flywheels are conveniently about 360mm around, making determining 3 vs 5 vs 7 degree advance more accurate than the amount of key shaved. Have fun

Shane,

You obviously eat it up or you would not be in this thread! I learned a long time ago, you can't save people from themselves!

If you don't want to hear about me and my saws, stay out of my thread, SIMPLE!

you don't need to save me from myself. you are mike and i am shane. shane is now known as mikes troll. ya know mike, if you just trolled me back maybe we could troll someone else together but until then i'm gonna troll you all to hell. :D there will be a day where you break down and join in. we'll be friends then. we can go troll mastermind for the heck of it. he likes being trolled.

i thought you had me on ignore now? you like the troll :D germans cannot stand what might have been said about them behind there back. this is why you can't ignore me. you have to know so you can post back all serious and such while i just keep trolling you one post after another. you gotta remember mike. a troll never runs out of **** to say. i serious mofo like yourself can only afford 1 or 2 posts before he goes blank.

WTF guys? Seriously?

you stay out of this :D mike will be ok. were gonna be friends one day you hear. i'm gonna go to a GTG and i'm gonna run his 044. i'm just real curious why it sounds like it's 10x better then the 15 i owned in the past. they must be real special. might be that all mine never saw 24" bars either. they were all 28+.

Mike the timing advance will make it harder to start. Make sure the piston is at tdc and then give it a good pull

Latest posts

Back