Used SC252: What's it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looks like the guy who I contract to grind my stumps is going to accept an opportunity for another job. Sounds like a great opportunity for him and his family and I'm happy for him. He has offered to sell me his Vermeer SC252 for $4500. I have no idea how many hours it has on it but I have seen it in use many times and it is in great shape.

Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Looks like the guy who I contract to grind my stumps is going to accept an opportunity for another job. Sounds like a great opportunity for him and his family and I'm happy for him. He has offered to sell me his Vermeer SC252 for $4500. I have no idea how many hours it has on it but I have seen it in use many times and it is in great shape.

Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Yes.

I sold my Rayco 1625 with a brand new 27 hp kohler and all new king pins, cutter wheel bearings, belts, bushings, and a ton of other new stuff about 2 years ago for $7,500.

If the Vermeer is in good shape that's not a bad price. Guess it depends on the hours too.

Yes.

I sold my Rayco 1625 with a brand new 27 hp kohler and all new king pins, cutter wheel bearings, belts, bushings, and a ton of other new stuff about 2 years ago for $7,500.

If the Vermeer is in good shape that's not a bad price. Guess it depends on the hours too.

I sold a rougher rayco 1625 for $6k. A decent vermeer sc252 with say 500 hours will bring about $7500 now days. With 1000 hours, I would think $5-6k. If it's shelled, it might not be worth much more than $2500-3500.

I'd get more info regarding hours on the machine, original or replacement motor, whether the bearings are tight or need replaced, etc. If all looks decent and machine runs good then, regardless of hours, $4500 probably isn't a bad price.

If he has been grinding all of your stumps,you couldn't ask for a better demonstration.And If he's getting out of it, as opposed to getting something newer or bigger ,he could probably throw some stump work your way as well.

If everything works good on it ,I think you should go for it.
I don't put much into hour meters on machines ,as they are easy to bypass . Mine hasn't worked for 3 years and it doesn't affect how it grinds one bit.I go by how the machine works.[Does it start easy,run smooth w/out smoking,no leaks on hydro or motor ?etc,etc.]

Again ,according to your own description of it ,,sounds like a good deal.

BTW If you do buy it ,be sure to look at my easy made chip blade mod in the heavy equipment section. Saves a lot of raking of mulch.

Yeah, the trailer comes with it and he just put a new set of green teeth on it.

I've got a Rayco walk behind that is being repaired now but the 252 would eat it's lunch.

To tell the truth I wish the guy would hang around. I prefer to give my stumps to him. He does a good job and charges me next to nothing to do them (I throw a lot of work his way). I don't like to grind stumps personally and when I do it it is more to put money in my guys pocket. I mean, I know it is part of the service and all but I make my money doing trees, not stumps.

The guy has got 6 yellow page ads out in the metro area and said he is going to give me the referrals if he takes the job as he will have to move.

I have seen him grind many stumps with this thing and it's very smooth. I think it's worth the money. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy it if he moves on. Trying to watch any large purchases now because the market is still slow here and bills are priority. Still, I think it would be a capital move.

I've got a Rayco walk behind that is being repaired now but the 252 would eat it's lunch.

To tell the truth I wish the guy would hang around. I prefer to give my stumps to him. He does a good job and charges me next to nothing to do them (I throw a lot of work his way). I don't like to grind stumps personally and when I do it it is more to put money in my guys pocket. I mean, I know it is part of the service and all but I make my money doing trees, not stumps.

The guy has got 6 yellow page ads out in the metro area and said he is going to give me the referrals if he takes the job as he will have to move.

I have seen him grind many stumps with this thing and it's very smooth. I think it's worth the money. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy it if he moves on. Trying to watch any large purchases now because the market is still slow here and bills are priority. Still, I think it would be a capital move.

Stumping sucks but I can pull in a G a day easy with my lil 630. I basically bought it so I could sell the whole job, top to bottom. People would usually rather not deal with multiple contractors and taking care of everything myself is a good selling point. If I had a solid stump man I could depend on it might be a different story but I doubt it. Too much risk. My rep in this town is gold to those I've worked for and I'd rather not affiliate myself with any other company.

Oh, and don't expect more greenteeth anytime soon. My setup has been on back order now for almost two months. Supposed to be shipped Friday. Shoulda went with Sandvik. After getting completely frustrated with greenteeth last week I called for a quote on a sandvik setup. $1050. Completely reasonable but it would have taken him a week to get it to me. Thought about doing it but that's kinda putting a silk hat on a pig if you ask me.

Hell go for it and if you get a whole lot of stumps just pm me and I will come catch you up in a day if there not too scattered. I can grind anywhere from 50 to 127 stumps in a day!

Hell go for it and if you get a whole lot of stumps just pm me and I will come catch you up in a day if there not too scattered. I can grind anywhere from 50 to 127 stumps in a day!

Next time I get a golf course or something like that I'll definitely get a hold of you. Wish I would have done so on the last one. I still got your number in my PM box from the ice storm a couple of years ago. If we hook up on something I will take you out and show you my deer woods. :cheers:

If he's moving have him transfer the telephone number into your name and pay him the $4500. That way all the calls will come to you and you'll recoup your cost fast. The advertising cost alone is probably close to what he is selling the 252 for. Just make sure y'all sign an agreement that you are not responsible for any outstanding or future telephone bills on the advertising.

If he's moving have him transfer the telephone number into your name and pay him the $4500. That way all the calls will come to you and you'll recoup your cost fast. The advertising cost alone is probably close to what he is selling the 252 for. Just make sure y'all sign an agreement that you are not responsible for any outstanding or future telephone bills on the advertising.

I was going to say something about that. I'd even offer him a little more if he gives you that phone number.

Back