Using a standard RS sealed bearing instead of a separate crank seal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkie_chris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Rebuilding my 056 super. I can't find the (obsolete) PTO side crank seal.

I'm wondering whether to use a standard sealed bearing instead. Leave the inside open to crank oil and use the bearing seal as a crank seal.

Will it work? Anyone tried it? Or am I just setting myself up for another seize?

Chris

Look on Ebay.

They're NLA from stihl.

UK ebay has nothing, US ebay same, german ebay had some (for 45 bloody euros!) a few months back but none now.
If anyone here has better idea I'm all ears, but I did look on ebay...

It is bearing 9523 003 4460 which includes the seal.
The seal alone is 9640 003 2690

A bearing shop here can make them custom sizes, that's what I'm going with I think. I will get a few made as there must be more of these saws around needing bits.

No I mean they will make a custom sized lip seal the equivalent of the original one.

diyspareparts.com listed them for sale, I bought some and then they emailed to say they had no stock and could not get it.

After a quick search, I also came up empty. Remember, the 045 uses the same seal.

A custom seal might be a good idea.

Has anyone got an 045 IPL around to check the part numbers?

The seal is DIN3760-BS23,8x33,4x4 9640 003 2690

It appears the 045 used 9639 003 2690.... could anyone with the IPL check dimensions of this? I believe there was a change

Found -045 IPL myself.... it appears this seal is the same. And just the same availability!!

Here ya go:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wellendichtr...ge-Oil-seal-/261886516515?hash=item3cf9a71d23
I've got a few sets squirreled away for when they're needed.
If the Google translate doesn't do all the page highlight the text you want and then right click and use Bing translate ( if using internet explorer)

Is that right though? It doesn't look like my seal.
I believe the early type used two-part more like a normal seal, 9523 003 0440 can anyone check the dimensions of this?

Is that right though? It doesn't look like my seal.
I believe the early type used two-part more like a normal seal, 9523 003 0440 can anyone check the dimensions of this?
You'll need to email the seller, or be the guinea pig & buy a set to see, as you're a hell of a lot closer to Germany than we are.

The 045 & 056 seals interchange, BUT the bearings are very different in width, as one locates on the snap ring in the case, the other has the snap ring mounted on the bearing.

Look at your oil tank vent to tell if it's likely an 045 or 056 series. Is your vent plastic ringed (S045) or the smaller all aluminum (S056) type insert? Also look at the different PTO side bearings in the attached pictures for the protrusion & fill of the PTO side case bore.

Your serial number in the other post you have indicated that it's an early 045 Super with the thinner bearing, but those saws are old and any used part could have been swapped out.

Even the nameplate tags are often wrong on them.

Attachments

• Oil S045 Oil Vent.jpg
    Oil S045 Oil Vent.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 32
  • Oil S056 Oil Vent.jpg
    Oil S056 Oil Vent.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back