Using the top of the bar - cuts slow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdxken

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Should be an easy one, after I sharpen the chain it cuts fine using the bottom of the bar but crappy with the top. I suspect the rakers are too high? I think I'm do an ok job on the cutters because it doesn't drift and the chips look uniform. Thanks in advance...

Without knowing what type chain you are running, I will make some guesses.

The rakers should be set around .025" below the top of the cutting edge of the tooth. I check this with a straight edge placed on top of two teeth and then I use a feeler gauge between the straight edge and the top of the raker.

If your bar has not been checked in a good while take a look at it to make sure that there are no sharp edges extending out from the chain groove which might get caught as the bar goes through the wood.

A few questions. Are you using more or less the same amount of pressure on the cut with the top as the bottom? Is your bar new, and have you recently flipped it? Are the chips produced with your bottom cuts nice and big? Sorry for the third degree!

A few questions. Are you using more or less the same amount of pressure on the cut with the top as the bottom? Is your bar new, and have you recently flipped it? Are the chips produced with your bottom cuts nice and big? Sorry for the third degree!

1) More pressure using the top.

2) bar and chain are basically new, cutting bone dry locust so it takes the edge off quick.

3) chips are big using the bottom haven't taken of notice of when I use the top.

Thanks for the response.

Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread?

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/225028.htm

Philbert

I looked that thread over but the problem appeared somewhat different. The chain is only a week old and cut perfectly when new but after a few big locust it was due for a sharpening. it's a 20 " woodland pro bar with a .325 chain. I'll double check the bar maybe it's older than I remember but if the bar was bad would the chain have performed correctly when new?

Without knowing what type chain you are running, I will make some guesses.

The rakers should be set around .025" below the top of the cutting edge of the tooth. I check this with a straight edge placed on top of two teeth and then I use a feeler gauge between the straight edge and the top of the raker.

If your bar has not been checked in a good while take a look at it to make sure that there are no sharp edges extending out from the chain groove which might get caught as the bar goes through the wood.

I have a oregon depth gauge file guide & flat file, the depth gauge seems somewhat useless. Is it possible the flat file isn't aggressive enough? it's doesn't seem to take much off. I'll give the straight edge a try, thanks

Safety chains have the extra garbage to get in the way of a good tooth scrape.... I hog those way down and use the rackers for fine tune.

Or avoid chains of that design.

Then again I'm guessing as well. But my experience.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Back