Using up the last of the fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trophyhunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Opinions please, when it comes time to put the saw up and you know it's unlikely your going to use it for a month or more aside from draining the fuel tank I'm thinking it's best to just start it up and let it low idle till the supply line empties?

No non ethanol pump gas around these parts and I really don't want to store any of that crud in a saw that's not going to be used for awhile.

I just did that the other day to my 045, alls I did was dump the gas into my burn barrel and then let it low idle til it died then I started it again and again until it stopped starting. Not sure if that's right or wrong but that's what I did.

Try Star-tron. Makes fuel last up to two years. Helps prevent the 'dump and shake' every month. :msp_thumbup:

I run my stuff with av-gas and Bel Ray H1R. I dump the tanks into my mix can when not in use and that's it. Never had any problems with 'storage rot'. Av-gas doesn't go bad like car gas does.

It's ok to let a saw starve for fuel, as long as it's not under load at the time. Idle is best.

I like to get a can of that 40:1 premix stuff like SEF or Moto-Mix at the saw shop, or wallyworld has it sometimes, and leave some of that in the carb and tank. It's stable for quite a while.

It's ok to let a saw starve for fuel, as long as it's not under load at the time. Idle is best.

I like to get a can of that 40:1 premix stuff like SEF or Moto-Mix at the saw shop, or wallyworld has it sometimes, and leave some of that in the carb and tank. It's stable for quite a while.

There's an idea, that stuff is pricey but why not dump the pump gas and use a little of that to run the line clear. What's the shelf life of that canned mix from the saw dealer's, I understand it's pure gas with no ethanol in it?

I really just don't want any alcohol left in there to do damage over time.

Warm the saw up a little, dump the mix out of the tank, and let it idle until it dies.

I continue to start and choke until it won't go anymore. Put it away until next time.

Not sure if this is right or wrong, but it's been working for me since 1995.

I leave mine with stabil treated non ethanol fuel in it all the time with no problems. I feel this will keep moisture out and the fuel lines from drying out and cracking. Not sure if its right but works on all my small engines since 2005. The snowblower starts right away in the winter as for the lawn mower in the spring. Will we ever know what's the right way.

I leave mine just how they were when I last used them. ie, if it has a half tank in it then it goes on the shelf that way.

If the saw has been sitting a long time since I last ran it, I dump what's in the tank and add fresh fuel.

Works for me.

Opinions please, when it comes time to put the saw up and you know it's unlikely your going to use it for a month or more aside from draining the fuel tank.

The local Stihl dealer told me to drain the fuel mix from the tank and run the saw with Stihl MotoMix (non-ethanol gas/oil mix) for a few minutes to get it through the carburetor, then shut off the saw and drain the remaining MotoMix from the tank. Don't let the carburetor run dry.

I use non-ethanol 92 octane and Stihls HP Ultra at the prescribed 50:1. I fill the tank when done using the saw and putting it up for a time. For long term storage the same applies except I do add Sta-bil to my fuel. Been doing this for 5 or 6 years with all my small engines and nary a problem. Time will tell I guess.

I just leave mine in the tank, even for long term storage.

Am running the canned fuel though....

Never had a problem with starting or anything.

Figure if it will last two years in a can, guess should last a few months in a saw.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Since I use my saws on a weekly basis, I often leave some mix in there (no ethanol in my fuel as far as I'm aware). But I do remove mix from machines I only use once a month or less often then a weekly basis, to do that I use an RC hand-crank fuel pump (they sell electric ones, at a higher cost) the point being I don't spill any around, I don't touch it, and I can pump it into a small mix canister that I specifically keep for "re-used" mix (transparent so I can monitor it's colour) but the best thing is, the intake has an inline filter and you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff that gets caught in there!

Those tiny inline filters have a screw-on cap that you can remove to clean up the metallic mesh filter. It seems to collect all kinds of things -- you have to be careful not to run the pump backwards though.

I'm willing to bet the intake fuel filters on the saws and other machines will last a lot longer thanks to this pre-filtering step. Some cheap units won't even come with an inline fuel filter, such as strimmers, etc. So you are also saving the carbs, or at least making sure they last longer.

Then again, if you are out in the woods cutting a lot of wood, this method just doesn't cut it unless you go for the electric pump, better to just get a proper fuel canister with an inline filter on it.

I haven't been running the engines dry 'til they stop lately, I should start doing that again... I fear the leftover gas in the carb will eventually evaporate and leave a thick film of oil that ultimately will foul it.

But even when you run them dry, there's still a bit of fuel left inside... It's even worse if you don't have a primer bulb on that particular carb, there's just no way to drain it out that I'm aware of...

Warm the saw up a little, dump the mix out of the tank, and let it idle until it dies.

I continue to start and choke until it won't go anymore. Put it away until next time.

Not sure if this is right or wrong, but it's been working for me since 1995.
That's exactly what i do. Been workin that way for me since........Oh lord i will tell my age if i say.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back