USMC Feller/New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintageHusky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dear arboristsite colleagues. I’m a Marine Corps veteran and a disabled one at that. However, I don’t let my military disabilities slow me down. I’m in upstate NY (yes, NY is mostly rural and has big trees too). I took to buying vintage chainsaws and rehabbing them for my own edification. I hooked up with Buckin Billy on YouTube and he got me started on basic felling gear. I’m the only guy running around these parts with a Weaver belt and home made cutting axe. Anyway, I started with the gear and got more interested in the craft of properly felling, bucking. Learned how to develop proper felling plan. Got right equipment (Maasdam rope puller indispensable). One day I was working out back and my neighbor had some arborists over scaling his dead Ash and topping it off. I introduced myself. They were quite taken with my Weaver belt. Anyway, I kept in touch with them and began learning some of their techniques, esp the gear, proper knots, safety etc. More of a risky hobby and labor of love since I’m actually a full time Judge. I’m here to learn, listen.

Dear arboristsite colleagues. I’m a Marine Corps veteran and a disabled one at that. However, I don’t let my military disabilities slow me down. I’m in upstate NY (yes, NY is mostly rural and has big trees too). I took to buying vintage chainsaws and rehabbing them for my own edification. I hooked up with Buckin Billy on YouTube and he got me started on basic felling gear. I’m the only guy running around these parts with a Weaver belt and home made cutting axe. Anyway, I started with the gear and got more interested in the craft of properly felling, bucking. Learned how to develop proper felling plan. Got right equipment (Maasdam rope puller indispensable). One day I was working out back and my neighbor had some arborists over scaling his dead Ash and topping it off. I introduced myself. They were quite taken with my Weaver belt. Anyway, I kept in touch with them and began learning some of their techniques, esp the gear, proper knots, safety etc. More of a risky hobby and labor of love since I’m actually a full time Judge. I’m here to learn, listen.
You might be the first and only judge here. Weigh in often.
Enjoy the ride.

Back