Utility body / service body for wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody put a utility body or service body on there truck. I have been tossing the idea around , the more I think about it the more I like it. For years in the winter time I would throw my saws, chains, straps, and bar oil in the passenger area of my standard cab truck. I usually worked alone and never had a problem, other than the wife said the truck stinks like chainsaw stuff in the summer time.Plus I really don't like the idea of everything in there if ever there was an accident to much big heavy items that can get launched at some ones head inside the cab.

Now that my oldest child is getting bigger I can start taking her along but don't have room for her and everything else. Thus the service body idea. I would have room to put the chainsaws in one door chains and straps in another gas oil flammables in a third,etc. I don't like to put stuff in the back of my truck either. To much of a chance to get banged up, forgotten and left for it to get rained or snowed on, Or worse yet STOLEN. That's why I like the compartment idea, everything in its place and a place for everything.

My truck is past the looking good stage now its time for the functional stage.Anybody now were to find a decent used takeoff, or no were one is for sale. Or does any body have any other ideas, I now I will not be able to carry as much wood in the back of the truck as I used too , but I have my big trailer now, and that's what that was made for. I still would be able to carry at least a face cord though.

Thanks

Beefie

Yep.....I got one...great too!

1. You can carry all your stuff in the boxes:
rigging.
saws.
gas/oil/2cycle/splitter fuel/oil/grease/wd 40/ hydraulic flui/ etc.
tools.
mauls,axes, hammers,wedges,etc.
first aid kit
generator/battery charger/lights
hardware tray full of misc. bolts nuts washers pins clips etc.
cables and winches and jacks.
spare tires for truck and splitter.

2. You can stop and eat somewhere without the worry of locking all your
stuff in the cab of the truck.

3. You now have room for a buddy or 2 too ride up front with you.

4. When you get home....you dont have too unload and put away all the
stuff.

5. I still have a 4' X 8' bed with 32" sideboards too stack the wood into.

Mine is mounted on a 76 model chebby 3/4 ton 4WD with lockers front and rear 350 4 barrel 4 speed with granny low......warn hubs with manual transfer. I did add extra leaves under the back too compensate for the extra weight with a load of wood on the truck. I did build a custom rear bumper with heavy duty trailer hitch also and I have a 8,000 warn pto winch I'm thinking of adding too the front of it.

All in all......I love it for wood sports.

:agree2:I love utility boxes myself, I've always had them on work truck but never on my own trucks. Definately would be nice to have a place to put everything without giving up the room in the cab, plus they still have plenty of bed room for wood! Keep an eye out there for old takeoffs, the new ones are nice, but not exactly cheap!

Utility boxes are great. I've used steel ones so I'm not sure about fiberglass boxes. As you have pointed out, most people think they are ugly, but they are missing out on a bargain. Even if bought new, they are cheap for what you get. Far more substantial than a pick-up box and with raised sides not much smaller. Some utility boxes are designed for a slightly longer wheel base and are 9' long. Most likely at least as big as a pick-up box.

Finding one may be a crap shoot for your existing truck. Buying a truck with one already mounted might be easier.

im lucky enough to have a flatbed on my work truck ih 4700 8 1/2 foot bed turns great mostly used for towing gooesenecks hence the short wheel base

what id did was get 2 of those aluminum underbody boxes form tsc for about 100 bucks each and a large jobsite box for the bed and it holds everything i need.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Here is another idea if you have a hard time coming up with the utility bed. Find a flat bed and mount side boxes on it with side boards.

Great idea

I have toyed around with idea. The power companies have some later model machines and they are fairly well maintained.

Here in my part of NC if your stuff isn't locked up tight the crack heads will float it right out of your truck, house, shop. :mad:

I need a truck with either a bonus or crew cab.

2w66qsh.jpg
like this tom trees

i just installed an 8ft reading service body on my '92 cummins powered ram 4x4. i still have plenty of "bed" room, and now lockable storage compartments. i keep the truck inside, so i also am going to bolt a generator to the top of the boxes on one side for power. i also carry a torch set in the truck,

Yep.....I got one...great too!

1. You can carry all your stuff in the boxes:
rigging.
saws.
gas/oil/2cycle/splitter fuel/oil/grease/wd 40/ hydraulic flui/ etc.
tools.
mauls,axes, hammers,wedges,etc.
first aid kit
generator/battery charger/lights
hardware tray full of misc. bolts nuts washers pins clips etc.
cables and winches and jacks.
spare tires for truck and splitter.

2. You can stop and eat somewhere without the worry of locking all your
stuff in the cab of the truck.

3. You now have room for a buddy or 2 too ride up front with you.

4. When you get home....you dont have too unload and put away all the
stuff.

5. I still have a 4' X 8' bed with 32" sideboards too stack the wood into.

Mine is mounted on a 76 model chebby 3/4 ton 4WD with lockers front and rear 350 4 barrel 4 speed with granny low......warn hubs with manual transfer. I did add extra leaves under the back too compensate for the extra weight with a load of wood on the truck. I did build a custom rear bumper with heavy duty trailer hitch also and I have a 8,000 warn pto winch I'm thinking of adding too the front of it.

All in all......I love it for wood sports.

Got any :camera: of this wood cutting beast. Sounds just like the way I would like to set mine up .

Beefie

i just installed an 8ft reading service body on my '92 cummins powered ram 4x4. i still have plenty of "bed" room, and now lockable storage compartments. i keep the truck inside, so i also am going to bolt a generator to the top of the boxes on one side for power. i also carry a torch set in the truck,

Now those first Gens were made for nothing but work. got any pics of those 92's.

Beefie

Beefie, pick up a copy of Auto/RV at the gas station, there's some folks in Northern Illinois that always have quite an inventory of used service bodies, flat beds and such.

Once in a while, someone puts a hoist under the service body, or inside of it with a shell to have the dumping ability.

I got an old a/c service truck. It is an 89 3/4 ton Chevy with a 350. I paid 1200.00 for it and have driven it everyday now for 2 years. I can carry my 660,441,361,250, and climbing saw. I have a box for climbing gear, a box for tools, a box for rope, and a catch all box. I put 10,000 pound helpers on it and tuned it up. You can probably find one at a municipal auction .​

The problem I got is the wife will only let me have one truck, thank god she dosn't hold me to one saw:hmm3grin2orange:.I have owned my truck since 2000 and no how its been kept up. So that is why I just want to find a replacement service bed to replace the existing bed. Some day , maybe when I win the lottery, I would like to have a crew cab. But this one is paid for and I am not going back into having payments for a truck that could get scratched up in the woods.Plus I only got 242000miles on my old DODGE and its still running strong,thank you MR. Cummings:hmm3grin2orange:

I will have to stop at a gas stop and pickup that advertisement "Auto/Rv"

Beefie

Now those first Gens were made for nothing but work. got any pics of those 92's.

Beefie

ask, and thy shall receive

005.jpg

truck does good for almost 400k on it. it has an 8ft meyers plow as well.
my other one is identical, only with a regular pickup box, and much more body damage.

Problem was they built the truck then put the motor in and they would twist frames if you did any real work with them. ;)

hhmmm, mine has yet to twist a frame, and i've put her through the paces......

You have some nice toys, Tom. All your stuff looks well kept, too. Sort of makes it look like you run a profitable business. :cheers:

You still need to learn how to resize pictures, though. ;)

Back