Utility body / service body for wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ask, and thy shall receive

005.jpg

truck does good for almost 400k on it. it has an 8ft meyers plow as well.
my other one is identical, only with a regular pickup box, and much more body damage.

hhmmm, mine has yet to twist a frame, and i've put her through the paces......

You have the same truck as I do just 4 years older. Paint color is the same to, now I cust have to find a service body. Did you shoreten up the back cabinets or was it built like that.Thanks for the pics got any more.

Beefie

Aluminum

Check this one out on my old F150! HA HA yea i said F150. The guy that put it on there shelled out big bucks for an ALL aluminum box body to save weight on that 1/2 ton pickup. what a joke.... i trashed the rear end of the truck in no time hauling full loads of wood and tools. The saws and tools fit great and stay dry.

Last edited:
Check this one out on my old F150! HA HA yea i said F150. The guy that put it on there shelled out big bucks for an ALL aluminum box body to save weight on that 1/2 ton pickup. what a joke.... i trashed the rear end of the truck in no time hauling full loads of wood and tools. The saws and tools fit great and stay dry.

I would never dream of doing that to my F150...wow!

attachment.php

So how many cc's is that yellow saw? :)

Kevin

My brother has one of those hitch carriers that he bolted A truck box to, holds all the saws etc at the right height, at the end of the day he rolls up his service Jack and takes it out of the hitch and locks it in the garage, takes less than 3 minutes to load/unload everything and it is weather tight and locked. This system works fantastic and can slide into the hitch of any vehicle we are using.

I can see why he wanted to save weight ,those suckers are heavy in the steel version,1100lb . I think the aluminum is like 550-640 lb.

I just called on a new one,:dizzy:$6138.00 new painted and installed:dizzy:. That is a little out of my price range but they do have a used takeoff that I am going to look at on Friday. They are going to get some numbers together for me. It is a knapheide 796J so it has one long horizontal compartment on the curbside. It maybe the one I need.

Any advice for what I should be looking for, hinges, body seems ,etc.....

Beefie

My neighbor has a utility body on his truck. He rigged a channel at the base of the each box to hold a sheet of plywood vertically along with a simple catch at the top of each box to hold the plywood up. He can put a good amount of wood back there with the two sheets of plywood up. When not loaded with wood the two sheets of plywood lay flat.
Dok

My neighbor has a utility body on his truck. He rigged a channel at the base of the each box to hold a sheet of plywood vertically along with a simple catch at the top of each box to hold the plywood up. He can put a good amount of wood back there with the two sheets of plywood up. When not loaded with wood the two sheets of plywood lay flat.
Dok

That sounds like a good idea.

Beefie

You have the same truck as I do just 4 years older. Paint color is the same to, now I cust have to find a service body. Did you shoreten up the back cabinets or was it built like that.Thanks for the pics got any more.

Beefie

that box is made for that specific model of truck. i bought a parts truck, minus the engine. it had a great cab, and that utility body. i put a good bit of work into fixing rust holes, replacing cabinet bottoms, all new latches/locks, LED lights, and 6 coats of IH red and 6 coats of clear. i then installed the utility body on the pictured truck, which i also just converted to a 5spd from an auto.

Utility beds are GREAT! I'm gonna replace this truck in a year or so to upgrade to a one ton and I promise you it will have a service body on it. A place for your saws, straps, chains, tools, and even your beer cooler.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

If you look around you can find used ones for $500 to a $1000. My son in law has a one to dually dodge that we have been looking for one for. He is getting tired of climbing in and out of the bed to get his saw and other stuff. When we get to the woods and up to the tree, he has to unload all his stuff on the ground, load the wood and then pile all his chains, saws, etc back on top.
We had a line on one for $500 but was already sold by the time we called.

i have an 88 ford f250 with the sraight 6 and the manual trans with granny. i put a bed slider in it si i can get all the stuff from way up in the bed without my old tail climbing in and bashing my head on the ladder racks. traded for it labor for putting new soffit on a guys house

Well I went and looked at that used service body. Turns out it is an older READING body looks identical to the one Some Zilch posted about. It used to have a welder mounted in it that ran from passenger side to driver side and took up the front compartments. Sorry no pics forgot camera at house. They wanted $1500 for it. I think I will keep looking ,Seem s like a lot of money for something I would have to do a lot of body work to just get closed in to keep the weather out. It Is also a 36" tall instead of the standard 40" model. The long horizontal box only has a clear opening of 8.5" , I could gain about an inch buy cutting the cabinet side locking mechanism out and modifying it. Still don't think it will be tall enough to get my saws in even laying on there sides.

Hey SOME ZILCH you have any measurements on your utility bed.

Thanks for the help guys,that bed on the back of your truck AIM is a sweet looking setup. Just What I want to do.

Beefie

Well I went and looked at that used service body. Turns out it is an older READING body looks identical to the one Some Zilch posted about. It used to have a welder mounted in it that ran from passenger side to driver side and took up the front compartments. Sorry no pics forgot camera at house. They wanted $1500 for it. I think I will keep looking ,Seem s like a lot of money for something I would have to do a lot of body work to just get closed in to keep the weather out. It Is also a 36" tall instead of the standard 40" model. The long horizontal box only has a clear opening of 8.5" , I could gain about an inch buy cutting the cabinet side locking mechanism out and modifying it. Still don't think it will be tall enough to get my saws in even laying on there sides.

Hey SOME ZILCH you have any measurements on your utility bed.

Thanks for the help guys,that bed on the back of your truck AIM is a sweet looking setup. Just What I want to do.

Beefie

what measurements would you like?
i'll get them on sunday...its 2* out now, ad i'm not walking out to my shop.....

They wanted $1500 for it. I think I will keep looking ,Seem s like a lot of money for something I would have to do a lot of body work to just get closed in to keep the weather out. I

Yeah, I'd pass on that. I'm sure you find a better body than that, for about the same money.

My best friend used to always say, "Buy what you want and only cry once."

Of course, that's a good way to go broke, too! :D

what measurements would you like?
i'll get them on sunday...its 2* out now, ad i'm not walking out to my shop.....

What ,you afraid of a little cold:hmm3grin2orange:. Is your box the 36" tall or the standard 40". What is the clear opening on your horizontal compartment over the wheel . Do you carry your saws in the compartment and if so how do they fit. Thanks for the help , It is 11° here now feels like t-shirt weather.

Beefie

Yeah, I'd pass on that. I'm sure you find a better body than that, for about the same money.

My best friend used to always say, "Buy what you want and only cry once."

Of course, that's a good way to go broke, too! :D

Thats what I thought too, Now for $500 I might think about it . It seems hard to find these service bodies used. There are a couple places I want to check but I seem to be getting out of work to late to go and see what they have. I found one in Florida on E-bay for $450 but I think the shipping would kill me , But it is a nice retro look:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Back