Utility Trailer Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I am on the fence about what size utility trailer to get with the majority of the work load will be hauling firewood rounds back to my house. I have done pretty well finding local firewood getting it home in my small truck and borrowed 4/8 trailer seems to be the limiting factor.

So I have a 2008 Crew Cab Toyota Tacoma with the tow package so it is rated to pull 6500lbs

Both utility trailers I am looking at are rated to 2995 lbs and have 15" tires with the drop gate in the back

The first trailer is a 5x10 with 18" mesh sides for $1099 sticker price

The second trailer is a 6x10 with 24" mes sides for $1199 sticker price.

Initially I was leaning towards the 6x10 but the 24" sides have me a little concerned they seem like it could get tedious to unload if I had to do it completely from the rear of the trailer plus that width the wheel wells would be wider then my vehicle thought that isnt much of an issue. My wifes concern is that with the larger trailer I would be more inclined to overload the trailer.

Im not sure which way to go on this does anyone have any insights on this. I just dont want to get a trailer that is too big or two small and regret it later.

When it comes to trailers, keep in mind one thing. They aint just for hauling firewood. Once you own one, you will probably discover that you got all kinds of uses for it. hauling furniture that the wife finds at a garage sale, riding mowers, mulch for the flower beds, you name it. A five foot wide box is going to limit you on what you can haul in many cases. If you are concerned about overloading the bigger one, do yourself a favor and get a rough estimate of how much you are hauling by running across the scales at most truck stops when the trailer is empty. Then go get yourself a load of wood and get it weighed again. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the axle to the bottom of the frame, and you got yourself a reference point for future use. With my trailer i have found that when the axle is 6.5 inches from the bottom of the frame, I got 6000 lbs on it.

Firewood is heavy, and even with the smaller trailer its easy to exceed the 3500 lb rating of the axle, and you have to take into account the weight of the bed as well. So get the bigger trailer, learn how much you can safely haul in it, and have a more versatile trailer that will serve more then one purpose. But this is just my opinion!

You want brakes on it, no matter which one.

Trailer weight, plus the wood..maybe you can do 2/3rds cord carrying and pulling. I know you could physically fit a cord, but wet green hardwood is heavy stuff.

I am not one for overloading anything. I hate busted stuff or accidents. Yes, I know all the pics posted here of outrageous loads in trucks and trailers...

You want brakes on it, no matter which one.

Trailer weight, plus the wood..maybe you can do 2/3rds cord carrying and pulling. I know you could physically fit a cord, but wet green hardwood is heavy stuff.

I am not one for overloading anything. I hate busted stuff or accidents. Yes, I know all the pics posted here of outrageous loads in trucks and trailers...

I am for one a fan of making two trips since I cut wood locally and I do not want to overload at all. I am leaning towards the 5x10 since it would keep the trailer width about the same as my truck width and would make it much easier in the traffic and construction that happens from time to time around me. Plus since both trailers have a the same weight rating the smaller trailer should carry a little more weight wise based on the smaller deck and frame dimensions. Right now nothing with breaks fits in the budget. Having used the borrowed 4x8 trailer for hauling furniture, dirt and lumber Im sure either size would work for what I have to haul for the most part.

I am for one a fan of making two trips since I cut wood locally and I do not want to overload at all. I am leaning towards the 5x10 since it would keep the trailer width about the same as my truck width and would make it much easier in the traffic and construction that happens from time to time around me. Plus since both trailers have a the same weight rating the smaller trailer should carry a little more weight wise based on the smaller deck and frame dimensions. Right now nothing with breaks fits in the budget. Having used the borrowed 4x8 trailer for hauling furniture, dirt and lumber Im sure either size would work for what I have to haul for the most part.

That width and nasty traffic is a legitimate concern, so I agree with your assessment.

Get the larger trailer. You can never have too big of a trailer as they all fill up fast.

Well I would say get the bigger trailer as well. If you are having a hard time driving a pickup truck through the traffic that's not much bigger than an economy car, about 2ft narrower than a regular pickup, I would say maybe not get a trailer. If you want to have a usable trailer for all around get the bigger one.

Well I would say get the bigger trailer as well. If you are having a hard time driving a pickup truck through the traffic that's not much bigger than an economy car, about 2ft narrower than a regular pickup, I would say maybe not get a trailer. If you want to have a usable trailer for all around get the bigger one.

I guess I could have phrased that a little differently. I have not problem driving my midsize or a full size truck in traffic. My concern was having a trailer that is wider then then pulling vehicle and having to deal with traffic. Really the main traffic concern I have is when I end up with single lane construction with a jersey barrier on both sides of the lane. I've done that with rental trailers that were 6" foot wide and didn't much care for it. I will say I do want the bigger trailer but I want to make sure I can use the bigger trailer since wet hardwood rounds would probably put it over the weight limit very quickly. I may have to go and pull them both around the parking lot as well to see which one I like better. Especially which one I like backing up the best with.

I get what your saying but it shouldn't really be a problem ever. The legal limit on almost every road is 102 inches. So even with an 8.5ft wide trailer the road must be at least about 10ft wide. Therefore even with construction the width must be more than that or it will be posted and will have a detour. It may just take some getting used to as far as driving it and remembering to keep an eye on the trailer. You will be able to overload any trailer you get, unless you keep an eye on how much weight is in the trailer. Both trailer have the same weight rating so it's a mute point. I say the bigger one as your truck has a small bed and the larger trailer will be very valuable for hauling anything and everything. Sheetrock, plywood, swing sets, mowers you name it that little extra room will come in handy. Now I would say the smaller one if, and only if you couldn't get the bigger one to the area's where you cut, but I doubt that is a problem.

I get what your saying but it shouldn't really be a problem ever. The legal limit on almost every road is 102 inches. So even with an 8.5ft wide trailer the road must be at least about 10ft wide. Therefore even with construction the width must be more than that or it will be posted and will have a detour. It may just take some getting used to as far as driving it and remembering to keep an eye on the trailer. You will be able to overload any trailer you get, unless you keep an eye on how much weight is in the trailer. Both trailer have the same weight rating so it's a mute point. I say the bigger one as your truck has a small bed and the larger trailer will be very valuable for hauling anything and everything. Sheetrock, plywood, swing sets, mowers you name it that little extra room will come in handy. Now I would say the smaller one if, and only if you couldn't get the bigger one to the area's where you cut, but I doubt that is a problem.

I see what you are getting at and that makes a lot of sense especially for the modest price increase. Im not crazy about the 24" sides but I could get used to it.

I'd go with the bigger one as well. Personally I only cut dead wood so its a bit lighter than green stuff. Saws, trailers etc it seems like most people start small & wish they'd gotten something bigger.

Exactly! I started with this and am now thinking maybe I should have gone with a 5 ton? Maybe both? lol
attachment.php

it's the same ole conundrum of never having enough! either not enough firewood or room to store it(haul it) .. with hauling firewood or a trailer when you know what size you want "ALWAYS GO WITH THE NEXT BIGGER SIZED TRAILER" ..... and more wood! problem solved!

I guess I could have phrased that a little differently. I have not problem driving my midsize or a full size truck in traffic. My concern was having a trailer that is wider then then pulling vehicle and having to deal with traffic. Really the main traffic concern I have is when I end up with single lane construction with a jersey barrier on both sides of the lane. I've done that with rental trailers that were 6" foot wide and didn't much care for it. I will say I do want the bigger trailer but I want to make sure I can use the bigger trailer since wet hardwood rounds would probably put it over the weight limit very quickly. I may have to go and pull them both around the parking lot as well to see which one I like better. Especially which one I like backing up the best with.

If you have reservations about driving a 6' wide trailer you may want to take up another hobby and just buy wood. Seriously look around the roads and all the landscape guys driving dump trailers and 14' foot mower trailers, not to mention the guys driving box trucks and over cabs. Most of these guys have no formal training.

Point is, if you have a few ounces of intelligence, which it sounds like you do since you sought advice in the first place, don't worry about driving it... you'll figure it out like the rest of us.

I would also recommend the bigger trailer if you have any other uses for it. The 5x10 trailer filled 18" high with green wood will be a load-you could very easily overload the 6' wide trailer. Is there a chance you could get the 6' wide trailer with lower sides? I hear your concern about lifting rounds the extra inches.

Will

The longer the trailer the easier they are to back up because you can see them. I pull 32' and 37' goosenecks all the time, but struggled with a jetski trailer over the weekend because I couldn't see the damn thing :msp_w00t:

Keep saving, then get a 14 ft with 2 3500# axels that have elec brakes. Way betterer, more useful, and your going to end up with one eventually. Or you will get a bigger truck with an even bigger trailer.

Latest posts

Back