Values of Logs ??? New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLumberJack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of you may remember I started the 'starting out logging' thread a while back.

Well, I hesitate to say I've started out logging, but I have sold some logs that have landed in my lap anyway to a local sawmill but wanted to hear from the experts on what good or average values are for logs. If there is a source out there a link would be appreciated.

I got what I considered to be decent money for some Cherry. It was 28" round and I have three 10 foot pieces.....got $900 bucks...well worth me loading (that was an interesting endeavor!) and driving 20 miles.

So, I guess technically I broke my 'cherry' and now am dabeling in logging.

:cheers:

here i found one of my log reports for one of my better loads of logs this year. it had a veneer red and white oak in it. there is black,red,white, and chestnut oak, yellow poplar, and one cherry log. this is based on a tri-axle(boom truck) load. which was 62 logs at 6081 BF.

the cherry log brought $.50 a BF. black oak avg. $.42 BF, ches. oak avg. $.39 BF, poplar avg. $.28 BF, red oak avg. $.51 BF, white oak avg. $.57 BF. the whole load averaged $.38 BF and brought $2353.15. Thats the best load ive brought this year so far. The two veneer logs combined brought $347.20.

Some of you may remember I started the 'starting out logging' thread a while back.

Well, I hesitate to say I've started out logging, but I have sold some logs that have landed in my lap anyway to a local sawmill but wanted to hear from the experts on what good or average values are for logs. If there is a source out there a link would be appreciated.

I got what I considered to be decent money for some Cherry. It was 28" round and I have three 10 foot pieces.....got $900 bucks...well worth me loading (that was an interesting endeavor!) and driving 20 miles.

So, I guess technically I broke my 'cherry' and now am dabeling in logging.

:cheers:

are you sure it was 28" around - as in circumference? that's only about a 9inch. diameter log.

surely you meant 28" diam.

If they all were 28" dia. (on the small end) by 10' long; they each have 355 board feet or a total of 1155 board feet. Those are huge cherry logs and I suspect had 4 clear faces to fetch the price you received.

With the above numbers and putting faith in you diameter measurement being the small end and consistent for the three logs, your average was 78 cents per board foot.

You did well.

Below is a snopshot of prices in New Hampshire.
http://www.hhp-inc.com/uploads///PDF/Henniker Pricing 3-6-09.pdf

back about two years ago i got $3.00 a foot for some cherry veneer. talk about adding up quick. now mills arent even buying veneer cherry around here but clear logs are bringing $1.00 per foot. 0.78 is pretty close. hard to beat that price for three logs. a friend of mine cut a boundary of cherry back when it was so expensive. only him and his son do the logging with a farm tractor - no one else - and they were making $20,000 a week on that job. he said it was hard to go back to pine...

Latest posts

Back