Valve for splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was starting to sort out what i want to run for hydraulics and now i am to the valve. I was looking at a 3-way valve(splitting, wedge, lift) and it says it has a float on 1 spool, I was just wondering if anyone knows what a "float" in a valve does.

I was starting to sort out what i want to run for hydraulics and now i am to the valve. I was looking at a 3-way valve(splitting, wedge, lift) and it says it has a float on 1 spool, I was just wondering if anyone knows what a "float" in a valve does.

My take on "float" would be if you're using the valve on a loader bucket and you wanted the bucked to follow the lay of the land. It will float up and down along with the ground.

Dan

you are looking at a 3 spool valve, not 3 way
3 way spool is used for single acting cylindes, powr up and gravity down.
3 spool or 3 section means 3 separate valves in one cast or sectional block.

Yes, float is a 4th position, typically for loaders where you have up, neutral (A&B blocked to hold the cylinder in position), then down, and then a 4th position past down where A & B are connected to tank. The boom can float and follow the ground just pushing oil back and forth from A to B as the cylinder moves.

I'd avoid it but you could use on a woodlift, in the down direction. You just don't want to have a scenario where you move the lever past the metering position into a sudden drop.

kcj

ok, thanks so thats a no to that valve. So does anyone know if the prince autocycle valve can be used in the manual position or does it hafta be autocycle for every stroke?

Prince auto-cycle valve can be operated either direction from the left hand lever. There is a pressure detent in the extension direction and no detent in the retract. This is opposite of a typical log splitter valve.

The right lever will only retract the cylinder. It has a pressure detent when you pull it out. When the first spool is in neutral the closed end of the cylinder is connected to tank so the second spool can retract the cylinder.

Don

so then i can operate it in manual mode as long as i don't set the detents

Not sure i understand what you are asking but you do not have to use the auto cycle. To run it manualy just pull the extend handle, it will detent in but you can stop it anywhere by pushing back to center. To retract you have two choces, push the extend handle back and hold it (no detent) or pull the return handle.
I like my auto cycle valve it adds at least 30% to production when working by oneself and maybe 10 when you have a helper.

what i mean is i don't hafta set the detents to make it autocycle everytime. like i can control it when it stops. Basically i don't hafta fully extend the cylinder and fully retract it everytime right.

The auto cycle valve can be used manually. You do not have to fully cycle the cylinder every time.

I'll sometimes pull both levers and just blip the extend lever back to neutral before grabbing my next piece when the wood is splitting good. This works best when working with a crew that so your wood is staged and you dont need the whole 6 seconds to get the next round. Then when you drop the next piece in before it is done retracting you can just pull the extend lever again.

Don

Latest posts

Back