vents/fans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm installing an indoor slow combustion woodheater in an old double brick house with lots of windows. It has no insulation and the walls are pure thermal mass so it soaks up a lot of cold in winter. Thankfully it really doesn't get that cold here. There's no practical way to add insulation to the walls and the windows are too large to reglaze at a reasonable price. It's not a large house, total floor area is about 950sq feet. I've chosen a large heater with plenty of reserve. The house is fairly open plan single story and has only 2 bedrooms. I'm wondering how I can get the heat from the living room to the main bedroom and was thinking of using vents/fans.

The idea was to put a floor vent on the side of the main bedroom furthest from the living room, and duct it in under the heater with a variable speed suction fan on the living room end. The idea being that with the suction on, the floor vent will pull all the cold air out of the bedroom into the living room and pull the heat through the house. Am I on the right path here?

Shaun

I'll have to look into that. Ducted heating/cooling of any kind is not that common here in residential settings.

Extremely common here, even in cheap single wide trailers. About the only place you won't see it is real old cabins like ours is.

Anyway, we've had this discussion here before on moving the air around without ductwork, the consensus is, any normal box fan/s set on the floor blowing air from the far away room/s towards the room with the wood heater. Easiest/cheapest/fastest for any decent results.

Don't get hung up on the size of the "blower"...my parents use an 8-inch round "muffin" fan, on a variable switch, plumbed into their cold air return. That fan on a low speed pushes warm air to the back of a 64 foot long ranch and regulates the temperature throughout the house. Remember, a blower from a furnace is meant to move lots of air over a short time...you can accomplish the same thing moving a smaller steady stream of air, that eventually sets up an air flow throughout the house, with a much smaller fan.

A little smaller version of what they use:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Blowers-Fans/AC-Fans/198-CFM-115-VAC-FAN-ROUND-16-1365.axd

Big versions:

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...149/_/N-/Ntt-muffin+fan?sst=subset&s_pp=false

Again, they run a big fan at low speeds (low noise, steady volume of air) that's ducted into the cold air return (positive displacement).

Latest posts

Back