Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking saw, mostly all minor stuff that if I wanted could find parts and replace over time, that's just a good looking saw. I love that green! So what's the $$?
50 bucks if I keep the bar and chain, which I'd like to, but if bar and chain are included I'd like to get 70 dollars, the chain looks like it's never been run and bar is lightly used

Ever talk to that guy with the saw shop? The longer you wait the better chance they will all get thrown in a dumpster or sent to China on a scrap barge!!!!!! :eek::eek:

I'll be down there this weekend, I'll try to get up there Saturday morning after I go deer hunting. I'm really interested in seeing what all they have in there.

50 bucks if I keep the bar and chain, which I'd like to, but if bar and chain are included I'd like to get 70 dollars, the chain looks like it's never been run and bar is lightly used

And sounds good to me, I'll give $50 for the power head by itself, I can get a bar and chain later. Explain to me a little more about what "threads are in good shape on castings, the tank has been resealed when previous owner did fuel line and filter" this means and the effects the scores on the piston will have on the mechanical integrity of the saw, I'm still extremely green to chansaiws and small engines as a whole.

Usually if a bolt is missing on a saw it is because the threads that it screws into are either messed up or are stripped out to the point where the bolt will not screw into it and stay tight, the threads in the casting on the saw body where the two screws are missing are in good shape which means with new screws they should thread right in and be just fine.

The tank top on these saws are removable, and that is how you change the "in tank" portion of the fuel line, when the previous owner of the saw changed the line he used some liquid type sealer on the two halves of the tank before he screwed it down, to ensure that it wouldn't leak.

And the more perfect the outside surface of the piston and cylinder is an indication of health of the cylinder and piston, if the piston gets "scored" it means something has caused the lubrication on the side or "skirt" of the piston to disappear and caused friction or scraping of the piston and cylinder, if it gets severe enough it will scrape the side of the piston to the point where the piston rings are pinched down into their grooves and the saw will loose compression and not run, and at that point one will need a new piston and cylinder.
ADLM

Usually if a bolt is missing on a saw it is because the threads that it screws into are either messed up or are stripped out to the point where the bolt will not screw into it and stay tight, the threads in the casting on the saw body where the two screws are missing are in good shape which means with new screws they should thread right in and be just fine.

The tank top on these saws are removable, and that is how you change the "in tank" portion of the fuel line, when the previous owner of the saw changed the line he used some liquid type sealer on the two halves of the tank before he screwed it down, to ensure that it wouldn't leak.

And the more perfect the outside surface of the piston and cylinder is an indication of health of the cylinder and piston, if the piston gets "scored" it means something has caused the lubrication on the side or "skirt" of the piston to disappear and caused friction or scraping of the piston and cylinder, if it gets severe enough it will scrape the side of the piston to the point where the piston rings are pinched down into their grooves and the saw will loose compression and not run, and at that point one will need a new piston and cylinder.
ADLM
So it's all pretty easy stuff to correct then, did the guy just not have the gasket for the tank so he used that liquid stuff?

So it's all pretty easy stuff to correct then, did the guy just not have the gasket for the tank so he used that liquid stuff?
He may not have, or he may have used the liquid sealer in conjunction with the gasket, I do that fairly often as these tank gaskets are made of cork just like the mac 10 series saws. It's basically extra insurance

Understandable, so it doesn't look as bad as that blue/grey crap that guy used on the saw I just got?

No it doesnt, you can see a little bit of black where it kind of oozed out around the seam.
Sweet, well I will definitely take it, whether it is now or I have to wait a little while will depend on whether a bid I put on a saw, which is the only bid for the saw, actually wins it. I doubt it because there are over 10 people watching it. But the auction ends on Sunday so I will know by then. Also what is a good price for a Stihl 056AV there is one listed at $265 that me and @txtroop have both seen, if eBay is any indication it seems it may be about 75-100 bucks over priced? Maybe?

Sweet, well I will definitely take it, whether it is now or I have to wait a little while will depend on whether a bid I put on a saw, which is the only bid for the saw, actually wins it. I doubt it because there are over 10 people watching it. But the auction ends on Sunday so I will know by then. Also what is a good price for a Stihl 056AV there is one listed at $265 that me and @txtroop have both seen, if eBay is any indication it seems it may be about 75-100 bucks over priced? Maybe?
That's fine, it will sit in my shop til then, and as far as price goes that I can't tell you, I'm a cheap a** when it comes to buying saws, @Boomer 87 just bought one a little while back and it ate his lunch and then asked for dessert. I don't mean to shy you away but I have given up on buying vintage stihls, they are too expensive to work on if you can even find parts. Ask boomer about what he went through with his 056
ADLM

That's fine, it will sit in my shop til then, and as far as price goes that I can't tell you, I'm a cheap a** when it comes to buying saws, @Boomer 87 just bought one a little while back and it ate his lunch and then asked for dessert. I don't mean to shy you away but I have given up on buying vintage stihls, they are too expensive to work on if you can even find parts. Ask boomer about what he went through with his 056
ADLM

@Kensie1988 that's what I've heard elsewhere on the 056 and why I never made an offer to the guy. Parts are hard to find by what people say. I've looked and found it to be true so far

Well thats good for future reference and I guess if your going to get one just be frivolous and buy one in good working condition and don't use it lol

Are the high and low needles on the carburetor supposed to be identical? As far as the pointed tip is concerned.

Not usually
Good lol, I looked at them close yesterday and all the generic diagrams usually show them look identical. I'll be removing the flywheel at some point this weekend to finish cleaning out the flywheel housing, then I will work on removing the manual oiler and oiler lines next week. I'm going to replace the internals of the manual oiler because the rod is loose and rubbed a huge groove into the last handle from the vibration, so I don't want that to happen again after I replace it.

The 056 i got i really like but like @astnmacgto said it took me down.the rabbit hole. I paid 200.00 for the saw then found it needed crank bearings. The pto crank bearing Isn't a nominal size and no longer availible. So i bought good crankcase from a member, then rebuilt carb new fuel line and filter new air filter its done and runs good but i got 400 bucks in it and thats the max it could be worth. The problem with stihl is if you can get the parts there insane high like 54 bucks for the air filter type high.

The 056 i got i really like but like @astnmacgto said it took me down.the rabbit hole. I paid 200.00 for the saw then found it needed crank bearings. The pto crank bearing Isn't a nominal size and no longer availible. So i bought good crankcase from a member, then rebuilt carb new fuel line and filter new air filter its done and runs good but i got 400 bucks in it and thats the max it could be worth. The problem with stihl is if you can get the parts there insane high like 54 bucks for the air filter type high.

Goodness gracious, well I guess I will be staying away from vintage stihls then unless I get one for practically nothing and then if I don't want to fix I can just part it out to people who need it.

Latest posts

Back