Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes no kidding! I would have been pretty PO too, glad you didn't end up getting hurt though. I get plenty scared when the clutch cover comes off without a bar, let alone slinging a chain. You're going to have to tell me what you find when you go back and look at it, very odd indeed.
It's going for a trip to Stihl dealer for pressure/vac testing. I'll look it over before hand too. I don't have the tools to do it myself...yet

It's going for a trip to Stihl dealer for pressure/vac testing. I'll look it over before hand too. I don't have the tools to do it myself...yet
Yeah, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the mityvac kit myself. I'm getting quite tired of guessing on why things are leaking on the Huztl 361 project saw.

Welcome to AS! What part of MN are you from? Seeing as you are new, I feel like I should warn you that being on here may cause severe CAD flare-ups.
I do not have an L77, but from my limited experience, they seem like a pretty good saw. Looking at getting one or what? I wouldn't mind having one, but then again, I say that about every saw.

Im in central MN ....No winter here more like spring stoves getting a brake :) Whats CAD lol I have seen people really carry on in forums before . Im always looking in forums
where everyone trading knowledge and figuring stuff out . Yes L77 is like a gift from the Sweden gods .. its a hell of a saw Its hard to explain its been cutting our firewood for 30 + years and we average 15 cord a year . in 2006 I got a 353 for smaller stuff . But this L77 I have more you use it better it works . kinda like Cristin the car in the movie . Its just hell bent on making chips . keep supply of oil bars and sharp chains and new clutch every 10 years and the clips will fly . Im not saying its light saw just a chip making monster .. Just got fresh .404 .063 20 bar chain this year .. We had huskys sence 1983 before that we had mac 10-10 and 610 and old 1969 250

Woodblocker55

Welcome friend, i also do not have an
L77, but all of us here on this thread will talk about any kind of saws! None of us here are experts but we all try to learn from each other as much as possible. Do you have an L77? How big are they?

Yes its a 77cc 20 inch .404 .063 I have 7 tooth rim now and new 8 tooth rim coming next week . It pulls the .404 great but it need to pick up more rpms
so it gets in to it perfect power band . I had a 16 inch 3/8 and 24 3/8 .058 on 8 tooth rim before its was just unstoppable .. the .404 with 8 tooth rim will be the perfect saw on 20 inch . I bench grind all my chains I have something against files . Im far from a expert when comes to chainsaws Im more of motor head trying to see how perfect you can get them to run :) horse power to $$$ ratio LOL This is a great forum nice to see people welcome guys with old
saws .. Its more of a understanding and new don't mean better kinda deal ...:chop:Im known to load forum with data and details I will go easy LOL
Woodblocker55

Its going to take me a week see all stuff on this forum and how it works .:badpc:

Attachments

• husky1.jpg
    husky1.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 7
Well the rpm at wot was hitting around 15.5k which is crazy high and would not come down with richening high side. Eventually somehow the bar nuts came off along with the clutch cover and bar and the chain went sailing some 20' away. I never even saw the chain come off and had to search the yard for it. It was a nice near extreme pain/death experience but I was more pissed my saw wasn't performing well. It also broke the chain tensioner screw in the process. Don't know if anything else yet I haven't visited her again.
And I got upset after running MY MCCULLOCH 250 -recoil cover loose and bent up starter pawl spring. Throwing chain bad--bar and chain --ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yes its a 77cc 20 inch .404 .063 I have 7 tooth rim now and new 8 tooth rim coming next week . It pulls the .404 great but it need to pick up more rpms
so it gets in to it perfect power band . I had a 16 inch 3/8 and 24 3/8 .058 on 8 tooth rim before its was just unstoppable .. the .404 with 8 tooth rim will be the perfect saw on 20 inch . I bench grind all my chains I have something against files . Im far from a expert when comes to chainsaws Im more of motor head trying to see how perfect you can get them to run :) horse power to $$$ ratio LOL This is a great forum nice to see people welcome guys with old
saws .. Its more of a understanding and new don't mean better kinda deal ...:chop:Im known to load forum with data and details I will go easy LOL
Woodblocker55

Its going to take me a week see all stuff on this forum and how it works .:badpc:
Welcome to the forums and this thread! All of the people here a great people and it seems like more and more people are coming in on a regular basis. I was brand new to the forums when I started this thread and everyone here now jumped in to help me out and it has just kinda evolved into a hangout where we discuss old and some new saws, our CAD (Chainsaw Addiction Disease) does not descriminste haha!

Welcome woodblocker--Horsepower to $$$ ratio--LOL--We got all kinds here--We are working our way to page 1--1st slot----Yep we got all kinds here--:innocent: Keep us posted on L77--Thats all magnesium I believe--That is the kind I like--Bow saws -old poulan--anything with gear reduction-1/2 inch chain . Am going through a mcculloch stage right now--250,7-10,10-10,1-41---Homelite xl-12 with bow--fun to cut wood on the ground. I was going to send that lonestar guy a bowsaw--Stopped shipment----He might cut off something important(Grasshopper-1st you must master the chainsaw and with time,experience,wisdom and about $4oo you get to hold the sacred bowsaw--Guru):popcorn2: David--Southwest Ga.

Woodblocker--You will see 2 things on this thread--1--Dave shows up--Everyone heads out. #2 I don't get no respect I tell you!!!:drinkingcoffee: CAD== Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.. I started out putting fuel lines on a 17 year old gray Craftsman/poulan--no anti vibe --now I have _ _ :sweet:saws--I mean I GOT QUITE A FEW. We also got a Guru who gives out advice--shows up here and there.Based on the KungFU TV series.

Im in central MN ....No winter here more like spring stoves getting a brake :) Whats CAD lol I have seen people really carry on in forums before . Im always looking in forums
where everyone trading knowledge and figuring stuff out . Yes L77 is like a gift from the Sweden gods .. its a hell of a saw Its hard to explain its been cutting our firewood for 30 + years and we average 15 cord a year . in 2006 I got a 353 for smaller stuff . But this L77 I have more you use it better it works . kinda like Cristin the car in the movie . Its just hell bent on making chips . keep supply of oil bars and sharp chains and new clutch every 10 years and the clips will fly . Im not saying its light saw just a chip making monster .. Just got fresh .404 .063 20 bar chain this year .. We had huskys sence 1983 before that we had mac 10-10 and 610 and old 1969 250

Woodblocker55
I'm out of southern mn myself. I've been really enjoying those few nice days that we've been having lately. That ends today lol. 6-12" of snow through Saturday morning. The L77 sounds like a sweet saw, and a beast running a 20". Those old saws certainly have some grunt.

Yeah, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the mityvac kit myself. I'm getting quite tired of guessing on why things are leaking on the Huztl 361 project saw.
Maybe I should preface this with it's going to the dealer to see what their cost is first lol. If it's the same as the tool I'll buy the dang tool. But if it goes to them I know the mechanic real well and he is a great guy. I'm so new at working on saws it may be better for this one to be in his hands than mine. It's my workhorse and is going to be my milling giant.

My up to date list...includes one that is currently on its way

PS...if anyone has a bar and chain for an echo/John Deere saw let me know I need one for the 70v. Looking at an Oregon 24" but if I can find used for cheaper I will.

Attachments

• IMG_7608.PNG
    IMG_7608.PNG
    102.7 KB · Views: 5
Back