Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like a little cheap saw, run it til it can't run no more and get a new one, don't even try to fix it up, even if it's something like a cheap fuel line, get another and keep going. Just don't get a fixer upper, those cost.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Piston pics, again no perceived physical marks on the piston, and just the faintest finger catch on the cylinder. Compression seems really good so I will run it until it blows. Then a bb kit will be in the works.
4b81940bc1af5eced9178c139d991c20.jpg
717e7dc8efb06c50e17634f8432770b7.jpg
f06effce5a7063985b4ae211d46dd07e.jpg
a60b7963203ce59be4b1ba81e66a9213.jpg

That not even in a port, last picture, is that light on the piston or it's just that clean?

It's a picture of the top of the piston. Posted it so someone with more knowledge may be able to determine something I haven't. It's a combination of reflected light and shiny metal. The shiny part, is the perfectly clean portion. It is as good as a finish as when I built the kit. Every other saw I've worked on seems to have an even layer of carbon all around the piston crown, but not this one. Is it ok, or is it a serious sign of premature wear such as lean running condition? After this one, I really wish I would have invested in a better tach so I could accurately read these saws on full throttle. Oh well, another tool for the wish list. At this rate I'm going to be better equipped than my local dealers.

I did take clearer pictures on my phone, but I have a feeling tapatalk bumped the quality way down for me. These pics do a poor job trying to show the scoring. Really interested to see how it runs tomorrow am.

That clean, seems to be lean to me, never seen one that clean before that's been running for awhile.

That's my thoughts also. Now i'm quite sure I had it tuned lean. Oddly enough though, it still sounded like it was four-stroking at WOT though. Again, I need a better tach than the one I have or my ear lol. Starting to cost me cylinders and such. I'm beginning to wonder if I roasted it last weekend with my hard cutting, as it initially refused to start for me today. Well, whenever it happened, hopefully I can get some more run time out of it and then upgrade at some point to a BB kit.

Well I started it this am and it ran, but refused to restart after sitting for a minute. Will lower the needle valve lever again and retry this evening. Still runs so that's a plus!

Here is my Strunk Eager Beaver. I dug it out from my Dad's barn- not sure what to do with it. Any idea of it's value or anything about it? Thanks, Bubba View attachment 594861 View attachment 594862
As a collector I'd say with the sentimental value it's priceless, the market value should come in around $100 to $150.:cool: P.s., they are loud, smelly, no anti-vibe, heavy and just plain cool!

Those you keep, it's dads, you'll never get it back when it gone. Nice looking old green motor in the background.

Yeah, he liked hit n miss and other antique engines and Allis Chalmers Tractors, among many other things.. I think the saws he just picked up at auctions because of a mild interest- the only one I ever saw him use was his old Mac 10-10. The others I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

Latest posts

Back